Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pigs and Hamsters

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Good day all. I have recently been thinking about getting a hamster. I do have a few concerns. I'm not sure if anyone here can help me but I will give it a shot.
1. Can hamsters and guinea pigs get along well?
2. Can my guinea pigs infect hamster or either way around?

And just so everyone knows, I will not be putting them in the same cage but they may be very close to each other.

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
I have been wanting to adopt a hamster as well. If you do get your hammy post pics of them lol where are you getting yours from?

lemonham

Cavy Slave
We have a hamster and a guinea pig! Their cages are near one another and have no problems. If you guinea pig or hamster is sick (mites, lice etc) they can get infected but if they are healthy you shouldn't have problems!
We've introduced them to each other once or twice and they don't seem to bother one another. I would just never let the hamster out of reach because they are so much littler and more delicate.
Hamsters are such a joy and I think much more easy to train than gps! They are such cute creatures. You should totally adopt one! (Just get a silent spinner wheel so you can sleep through the night!!!!)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I have 4 gerbils and 4 guinea pigs. There cages arnt near one another and I havnt introduced them to each other but I have never had problems with owning both. Gerbils arnt hamsgter but still, close enough.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Also, does anyone know of a website with good care guidelines for hamsters?

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Unfortunetly the only place to get a hamster in my country is a pet store. The same one that sells gp's. So if I do get one it would have to be from there. I would get everything else from the store that does not sell animals though. I would only be giving them about $30 and the other place about $100. Not sure what I need to get for it though. I have seen other peoples hamsters and they are so cute. I dont know why but I am addicted to cuteness. Like even if a see a man and he is short and good looking i think he is cute and I wanna cuddle. lol. Just jokin but I really am addicted to cuteness. Anyone else suffer from cuteness addiction?

lemonham

Cavy Slave
Here is the ASPCA guide: (broken link removed)
Also I find that this forum is really helpful: (broken link removed)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Come on guys, now you make me want a hamster!!! :sarcastic

lemonham

Cavy Slave
IMG_3155.jpg
Simon says "Do It! We make great pets!"

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
:tearsofjo oh geee!

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
OK that just sealed the deal. I am getting a hamster. What do you need for them? Like cage, supplies food? Never had a hamster

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
I'd look at the guide posted, but hammies can be great pets, I certainly treasured mine. I did have the pet-shop bad sexing issue when I had mine, though even as a like 7 year old kid I never really trusted the pet's store sexing, though it took a while to convince my folks otherwise. However, eventually it gets to be pretty dang obvious a little boy hammy is a boy hammy.... (and thus Jewel became Julius lol)

I personally used one of those store cages which you could extend with various add-ons to make a fancy cage. They can climb pretty well so you can have upright parts, however I personally kept mine single story since my hammy was a silly little thing and sleep-walked. He'd fall asleep in an upper area and then you'd hear a "thud" and find a confused little hammy in a heap at the bottom of a tube. Needless to say the cage turned single story pretty quick (he's also sometimes sleep-walk while being held, so you'd have to gently keep him from falling off things).

Make sure you have a wheel, it will be used- as such go for one as quiet as possible if it will be housed near where you sleep. They run miles a night.

I've only ever had one hamster, but mine's personality stayed very similar to what it was like at the store/wherever you get it, and other's who've i've know have had similar experiences. Luckily mine was the sweetest little guy ever so I'm not complaining, but thats something to keep in mind, though I'm not sure how much a more unpleasant continued nature was the result of improper taming attempts or lack there of completely.

The only thing I didn't like about hammies is just how short their lifespan is. 2-3 years for the larger syrians (I had a long haired one), and 1-2 for the dwarves. They're with you for such a short time...

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Thanks all for the info and very convincing picture. I will be getting a hamster. I will call around today to find out how much the hamster will cost and I want to check out how much all of the stuff for it would cost but there is a hurricane on the way here so I wont be able to do it until tomorrow. Thats if we have power though. Most likely I will be getting it on saturday. I may try to get the cage on Friday if I can get the car.

daniellerose

Cavy Slave
I have a hamster, but I've never really tried introducing him to the piggies. They're both in the same room though.

DSC00089.jpg

Hamster says hello ^^

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
So I called the pet store and they are selling them for $39. I know you all are going to tell me not to buy from them but there is literally no where else to buy them in my country. I do not know if people breed them here and would not know how to find them. People dont really advertise here. It mostly goes by word of mouth. Trust me, people gossip so much here that once you tell someone every else knows. Very small island. I will look around but I doubt I will be able to find anybody. The local shelter does not have hamsters either. Only cats, dogs, rabbits, and guinea pigs. Those are really the only pets we have besides fish and turtles and the ocassional chinchilla.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I just realised something that is so funny. If you noticed guinea pigs and hamster are both called pigs. Guinea PIGS and HAMsters. So they belong together in a way.

lemonham

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the short lifespan is pretty hard sometimes but they deserve a loving home too! I always think that when they are still with us, we need to give them the best life possible. Lots of love, kisses and treats.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
:eye-poppi $39 for a hamster?!?!? Um..is your money worth a different amount where you live? Hamsters here in the store are between $5 and $15.. Iv never in my life seen a hamster that expensive!

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Our money is the same value as America. What sends the price up is the shipping cost.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
oh man! That sucks. I'd be so poor..I'd be a hobo if I lived in bermuda lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.