Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece * Fleece Questions

Kyrtis

Cavy Slave
I have ordered several fleece throws from amazon to use as liners and i will purchase a few u-haul pads to go with it. I have spent several weeks lurking around the forums yet still did not come up with the answers i was looking for. So, here are my questions:

I have a coin-op washing machine that costs $1.25 per wash and another $1.25 for drying. So i am looking at about $10.00 total to wash and dry the fleece throws in order for them to wick properly. Is there any way around this? I do not have access to a regular washing machine and the coin-op one is the only one available.

Second question. After the fleece throws are properly wicked, Do i need to also wash the u-haul pads or can I use them as is?

Third question. When i sew the fleece to the u-haul pad, Do i need to add a third layer of fleece to it or would the two layers be enough to withstand washing?

Forth Question. After the wicked fleece and u-haul are sewn together to make a cage pad, Would it be possible to be able to hand wash a dirty pad instead of throwing it into the washer every week?

Ash-Ro060708

Cavy Slave
I only wash and dry my fleece once before I use it and it works fine.
I always wash everything before I use it.
Not sure about the third and forth questions, I only use towels and mattress pads under my fleece and I like to have everything separate.

guineapikhs

Cavy Slave
It seems like air-drying is fine for fleece/towels/etc, unless you want to be able to wash them in succession. If the fleeces haven't been in the cage yet, you could throw them in with other cold wash clothes (as long as you don't use fabric softener). If it were me, I might throw it in with a load of clothes, then hand wash it another time or two and let it air dry. I've heard that Uhaul pads disintegrate over time, so I might put fleece or cotton on the bottom -- with a fleece bottom, you could flip it halfway through the week to keep the cage looking cleaner. Long-term, I might rinse the pads in the tub when I take them out of the cage, then wash them when I have 2 saved up, and air dry them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece by itself air-dries really quickly, and mattress pads do also. I can't speak to the U-Haul pads because I haven't used them.

As far as washing your fleece in preparation for use, you can certainly do that by hand. I'd put it in a bucket of hot water with vinegar mixed in, and let it soak for a while before hand washing it. You might be able to skip a couple of washings that way.

One word of caution before you get too deep into this project -- some people have had complaints from other apartment dwellers and coin-op laundromats about their washing pig laundry in the machines. You might want to see if there's a policy about washing pet bedding in the washers before you invest any more money. And to forestall any possible problems, I'd be extra careful to get all the hair off the fleece (good luck on that!), and wash them in fine-mesh laundry bags.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Since you plan to sew everything together, you should wash the uhaul pads too. They shrink!

Insanemomof3

Cavy Slave
I've been using fleece for about a month and it really does ball up and leave pieces
every where, my haul blanket leaves behind a mess too. I wash it and then line dry it. You could drape it over your shower curtain.
I also didn't sew the two together,I used 4 safety pins at the corners and it's easy to
Care for.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Use a double-layer of uhaul pads, plus one layer of fleece on top. I just fold the fleece over and under the uhaul pads, but my pigs don't dig at it so it isn't a problem. You could try this first, and if they burrow, then look into sewing/using binder clips.

Wash everything before use, as others have said, it will shrink a little bit.

I can see guinea pigs biting at a safety pin and having it open up from the bite, and then getting stuck by it, so I refuse to use them.

Insanemomof3

Cavy Slave
I roll my fleece over the uhaul blanket making a six inch over lap, so if they borrow a bit they are
not near the safety pin, it more towards the center. (if I'm describing it right).

I'm not impressed with my fleece. I think it really smells after just two days. I'm going to try the double layer of haul blanket and see if that helps. I'm wondering if it's even wicking. I washed it four times
before use.

Kyrtis

Cavy Slave
Blah. They have no policy to be honest. They won't even deal with a roach problem i am having, the cheap buggers, so i doubt washing the bedding in the machine will be any real trouble.

Kyrtis

Cavy Slave
And to forestall any possible problems, I'd be extra careful to get all the hair off the fleece (good luck on that!), and wash them in fine-mesh laundry bags.

Fine mesh laundry bags? What does that do?

guineapikhs

Cavy Slave
I believe the fine-mesh bags are to catch hay/hair. I've heard other people say they use an old pillow case in the washing machine, then let the lint trap catch everything in the dryer.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The fine mesh bags catch the hair and keep it from clogging your washing machine filter. The bags with the larger holes don't work as well.

Ask me how I know this, and how hard it is to get to my washing machine filter.....

guineapikhs

Cavy Slave
Bpatters, could you add a photo of your bag or link to one? I'm considering getting one but don't want to waste money on something with too big of holes!

Movi3Star

Cavy Slave
I made my piggy's cage cover out of the fleece, I hand wash mine in the tub because I do not want to wash it in my personal washing machine and then I hang it out side to dry. Before I wash it I spray it with vinegar and water and that helps to make sure it smells fresh. That seems to be working so far. I have two covers so while one is being washed the other is lining the cage. Also if you want you can always just wash in the machine and hang dry. Drying at the high heat causes fabrics to shrink and also if all the odor is not out it helps to set the odor in.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guineapikhs, mine came from the dollar store, so have holes about 1/4 inch across. If you google "mesh laundry bags," you'll get a bunch of hits with bags with really fine holes -- they should do very well.

guineapikhs

Cavy Slave
Thanks, bpatters! I was imagining a much finer mesh, so that sounds pretty doable. I might look for some, then, before we start getting hair on all our clothes!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.