Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Back to all fleece

pinky

Cavy Slave
I added a kitchen area to my coroplast cage shortly after I built it. I found that the kitchen area took a beating more than the rest of the cage so I was making new coroplast trays every once in awhile to keep the cage looking nice. That didn't bother me. What annoyed me was the bedding getting all over the fleece. I tried Yesterday's News, Carefresh, Ecobedding, Soft Sorbent and another one that I can't recall the name of. That first section of fleece always had a lot of bedding stuck to it. The kitchen was pretty big so it also took quite a bit of bedding to fill it and it was clumsy to clean it out. I decided I had enough....

I replaced the kitchen with another fleece pad and added a large square of fleece over it that I could take outside and just shake out when hay got stuck on it.

It's so much easier...... I'm not going to go back to regular bedding in there anymore.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
When I had a kitchen I used hay too and fleece every where else but I realized that the two do not mix well. Once you get fleece you never go back. At least that how it is with me. I could never go back to bedding. Does anybody else have their cage on a carpeted floor? If so, how do you keep it clean?

kaite13

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean, the shavings from my kitchen area get everywhere! I put a brick platform up to the entrance of the kitchen to wear down there nails an keep the bedding in. It works pretty good but it still gets tracked around the cage.:(

pinky

Cavy Slave
Within minutes of cleaning the cage, they'd be dragging bedding all over. I tried different heights to the edge and putting an opening instead of a low rim but I still had it all over. It was worse that the hay. This gives them more room to run, too, so it's working better.

I know what you mean, the shavings from my kitchen area get everywhere! I put a brick platform up to the entrance of the kitchen to wear down there nails an keep the bedding in. It works pretty good but it still gets tracked around the cage.:(

kaite13

Cavy Slave
Ya I had to make their cage to a 2x6 so they could still have tons of space, I found it was way better with a second level as the kitchen. It kept in the bedding better and seperated shavings from fleece. But I took down the second level because they would only poo under it. With a one level cage, seeing everything makes me more motivated to clean.:)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I expanded from a 2 x 5 to a 2 x 6 recently. I had a second level, too, and I found that they didn't go up there a lot but they sure liked to hide under it. Once I took the ramp out, they were a lot more active.
Ya I had to make their cage to a 2x6 so they could still have tons of space, I found it was way better with a second level as the kitchen. It kept in the bedding better and seperated shavings from fleece. But I took down the second level because they would only poo under it. With a one level cage, seeing everything makes me more motivated to clean.:)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I have bedding now and I plan to switch to fleece. I have already ordered my liners. I was hesitant at first but you guys really make me feel good about my choice. I have a second level and thats where the kitchen area is, I will be using KD pine pellets in there though. The upper level will be divided though so that way the pellets are only where they hay and food are. I hope this works..My pigs are pretty clean :)

DoodlePig

Cavy Slave
When I had a kitchen I used hay too and fleece every where else but I realized that the two do not mix well. Once you get fleece you never go back. At least that how it is with me. I could never go back to bedding. Does anybody else have their cage on a carpeted floor? If so, how do you keep it clean?
My basement is carpeted which is really annoying because I can't just sweep up, but I got one of those sweeper-things they have in resteraunts (bisell sturdy sweep) which works okay but I keep the vacume down there also when it gets messy every few days. And the piggies aren't afraid of the vacume, the first time they id but now they barely look up when they hear it.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
doodlepig - how do you clean the carpet?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.