Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Bedding - Blanket???

esinopoulou

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

i was looking through all the photos that people had upload here and i was so amazed with this perfect C&C cages (i m getting one next week!) and i saw that many of you don't use bedding but you use blankets or towels.

I was using wood chips for the first years that i had my babies but then the vet suggested carefree (which is available only here in US and was not available in Scotalnd,UK which is where we used to live).

So what is the story with blankets and towels instead of bedding? is healthier? better? how do you clean them out?

And also i am not able to find toys big enough for my boys (they are pretty big for piggies the truth is ;) )! Can anyone suggest any everyday object that would be a nice toy for them?

Even though the small one is still in a separate cage for now because he still recovering...

logansmomma1228

Cavy Slave
Do you use cardboard boxes and rolls? Bread Crumb containers are pretty big and they might work well. I've also heard of cutting one side so your piggies can get out if they get stuck.

I don't know the health side of the blankets and towels, but I do know that mine has been loving the towel I put in the corner for her. She likes that better than the box she has! I am trying to keep all her poop in the kiln dried pine bedding I have for her and I have been experimenting with things to see what she likes.

It sounds like you have had yours for a while, but maybe you can experiment and see what happens?

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Hi, So about the bedding. Its fleece that people use. They use it because its very absorbent and is much cheaper than wood chip bedding and stuff like that. Its just easier too. You just sweep the poops up daily and then wash the fleece like once a week. It keeps things clean and tidey and nice looking too! I have been using aspen wood bedding and Im soo fed up with it that I ordered 3 fleece cage liners yesterday from someone I know that makes and sells them. Im very excited to get mine! I cant wait! People that use them though will be able to help you out more about them since they actually use them.
As far as toys go, you could use cardboard toilet paper rolls cut long ways down the middle, boxes with holes cut out so they can use them for houses, and even some cat toys :)
Hope this helps even a little

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
There you go! told ya!! :)

esinopoulou

Cavy Slave
I tried the toilet paper roll yesterday, and today i also put a carrot for him in there! i can tell you that, he loved it an kept him busy for at least 2 hours or so (which is great for me since i have to pay much more attention to his brother who at the moment is recovering in another cage)!
Well fleece sound an ok idea and i might try it... do you need special fleece blanket or i can use a spare that i have here? Thanks a lot for your replies! They ve been very helpful :)

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You will want to use 100% polyester fleece, as well as an absorbent layer under it. The fleece is not used to absorb the liquid, but wick it down to an absorbent layer. I use towels under my fleece but many use u-haul blankets or puppy pads.

edit: I should add that fleece is used because of it's super duper wicking abilities and because it dries really fast!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.