Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Uhaul and Fleece liner

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
Okay so right now i have a 3x4 cage and i want to expand it to 3x6 or a 5x4 and i want to make a cage liner but i read in another post that a bigger liner is harder to wash so wat im asking is
-What size should i make the liners? Like a 1x3 or something
-How many should i make?
-Are the uhaul pads hard to cut?
-Which cage size would be better? (I have the space for either)
Thank you all who reply

lissie

Cavy Slave
- The size of the pads would depend on how big your cage is, and how much space the kitchen would take.
- How many also depends on your cage size. It's a good idea to have at least 2 sets so you can wash one set and put the other set in the cage without having to wait for the laundry to be done.
- Uhaul pads are not hard to cut.
- 5x4 is bigger. If you have space for it. Go for it.

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
my cage is a 3x4 and there isnt a kitchen area per se but how big should i make the pads?

Guinea Pig Way

Cavy Slave
you should get pieces of fleece and just layer it in the cage

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
With a 3x??? you'll be able to add storage under at some point in time if you wish. Storage is important the bigger you go because you need space for all the fleece. Also the bigger you go the more cost as the more fleece/pads you'll have to use. The more you'll have to wash.

With a wider cage you'll have to step into it to clean (i hated doing that) or to catch your piggies.

I have tried so many combinations in the last 4 years its nuts. I'm likeing my 3x7. Still a bit hard to clean the far back but I like the storage under and the size is working with the apartment and the piggies...

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
what do you mean by the storage? because i have my guinea pig cage on the floor.........im hoping to get some storage cubes to put it under the cage because my back always hurts when im cleaning and spot cleaning their cage.... thats another reason why i want to make a liner :)

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
o forgot to add standard fleece is only 60 inchs (give or take 58-62 inches depending on manufactorer) so I would not go bigger than that.

Cage pad size and quantity will be very dependent on cage size and preference...

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Storage can be a table premade or hand made, a platform or cubes. Mine is made from cubes. There are stand pics in the gallery...

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
well what kind of bedding do you use? if its cage pads what size are they?

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
well what kind of bedding do you use?? if its cage pads what size are they? and where did you buy the materials?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I personally find that a cage wider than 2 grids is too hard to clean. My cage is a 2 x 6. If I need more space, I'd expand to 2 x 7 or 2 x 8 but I don't think I would go any wider. My pads are around 30 x 32 so they slightly overlap one another and they don't leave any gaps around the sides of the cage. It's easy for me to take them out, wipe down the cage and put fresh ones in. The uhaul pads are easy to cut with sharp scissors. I'd wash and dry the pads before cutting in case they shrink. I cut the pads so there are pieces that butt up under the fleece pads so I can remove the bedding from one side of the cage at a time and not have to take the guinea pigs out. They just move to the other side or in the kitchen area.

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
okay so i think im gonna make 2 pads that are 2x3 and later when i expand the cage to a 3x6 ill just make another 2x3 pad..... thank you everyone for yr help

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.