Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How long can GPs be left alone?

woobly

Cavy Slave
Hi, all -

Recently I took a trip home to my parents house for the weekend - just from Thursday to Sunday evening. I took Teddy with me in his petstore cage since his C&C doesn't fit in my car and he seemed surprisingly cool about the whole thing. He wandered around his cage while he was in the car (about a 4 hour drive) and acted like his normal, cheerful self the whole time I was home. Still, I couldn't help but wonder if dragging him around like that was stressful for him, physically or mentally.

I was wondering, how long can a guinea pig safely be left alone? Of course, ample food and water would be provided, and I wouldn't even consider leaving Teddy alone until he had a friend to keep him company while I was gone. As a college student, I'm usually only home for a max of three to four days. Is that too long to go without me? Is it better to take him home, or if I'm gone a longer period should I find someone who can look after him?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

LilPig

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't leave them alone for that long, I don't know about Teddy but my piggies are just that - PIGGIES! I will put what I feel is a ton of food and water in their cage and it's like magic... POOF! Disappeared. I don't know where it all goes...... They're not that big!!!! haha

If you could arrange for someone to come by and say hi and check on them every day I would recommend it. While I took a trip last month I gave a family member a key to my house JUST so they could check on my pigs and make sure they have plenty of food & fresh water. Plus without a room mate I think he would be a tid bit lonely.

Taking him along shouldn't be stressful as long as he is comfortable in his carrier. I have seen people use the pet store variety of Guinea Pig cage as transporters since they're really no good for anything BUT that.

Squint96

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't leave the piggy alone if you are leaving for more than a regular day- I suggest training a friend to know what is normal for your pig, and what isn't, along with how much food (s)he gets. I would also be very firm in explaining that your piggy is not to be fooled around with/ you would be more comfortable that only your trained friend is allowed to be with the pig when you are away- this will prevent anything from happening to your pig (although I doubt a friend would let anything happen to them :) ) I personally ask my pig sitter to send me at least one picture of my pig daily and I would also suggest asking them to send videos or descriptions of anything the piggy does that they are unsure about. This way you'll have less to worry about and will supress any separation anxiety (hopefully). If you feel your pig is an ok traveler then it is up to you to decide what is best for your pig :) good luck!!

Squint96

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I forgot to add that if you are confident that your pig travels ok, then I wouldn't worry to much; just watch him/her and make sure (s)he is acting normally- sometimes I feel that my pig is just safer with me because that way I am in control and know nothing will happen to them! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've left them overnight but no longer than that. If their water bottle leaked, they'd be without anything to drink. They'd stuff themselves if you left four days worth of food for them. Veggies wouldn't last sitting there and they'd poop all over their food. Their cage would be really dirty, too. If there was an emergency, no one would be there for them.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
My Foster Pig Maximus von Lichtenwalder used to be taken with his owner where ever she went. He travelled in a smaller cage and had his collapsable wire tops taken where they were going. She would just create a temporary bottom so he was in a 2 x 3 equivalent at destination. He never showed any distress at travelling. When I took him on and we moved he travelled fine too in his hidey.

I also think a potential issue would be the sudden change in diet - from veggies to no veggies that would have an impact on the system. Weighed up with Pinky's normal what-if's; I'd personally be inclined to travel with him if he is an easy going traveller as mentioned.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I agree with the others. If it were just one night, maybe. But I think it would be hard on the piggy to be alone for days. My piggies always greet me as soon as I get home. Also, what if your piggy got sick? Last week, my piggy got an eye infection, and he actually really only showed symptoms (watery,crusty) eye for about an hour. I'm lucky I saw it as it is.

woobly

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice, guys. For now I'll just continue taking him home with me since he doesn't seem to mind. My family all lives in Dallas, and I'm in Austin, and to be honest I don't really trust any of my friends to take care of him properly. It's sad, but a lot of people don't have the same respect for guinea pigs care and treatment as they would for a cat or dog. :( The only one I'd allow to take care of him is my boyfriend, but we live together/are from the same town, so we usually go back together.

I also didn't really consider that they become seriously ill so quickly. I'm pretty comfortable leaving my cats home for a couple days and can be assured they'll be fine when I get back, but I sort of forgot how sensitive guinea pigs are.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.