Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior my guinea pig bit me :(

Millieex

Cavy Slave
I have had floss now for around a year, she a very cheeky & confident guinea pig. She is very adventurous and doesn't like to keep still. She has bitten my shoulder whilst carrying her on two occasions. The bits are quite painful and im left with teeth marks for around 4 days. Why is this happening? Am i doing something wrong?

Help pleasee

She is normally friendly, wild, micheavious and daring. She will run you wild, she is not frightened to approach strangers and loves climbing and jumping on me. She doesn't really like to me fussed with and kind of pop corns if you stroke her hair. She loves to play, running through tunnels, nibbling balls, being horrible to boxes & moving them around. She also loves her cuddly toy piglet (from winnie-the-poo).

Millieex

Cavy Slave
Here are some pictures of Floss & The Gang :)

Shes as free as her hair :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How are you carrying her on your shoulder? And is that the only time she bites you? If so, she may not like being held that way. If you're walking, she may feel insecure there, and in fact, you shouldn't let her ride on your shoulder, if that's what's happening. Mine seem happiest being carried (well, as happy as they ever are to be held, which isn't very) if I put them up against my chest, with one hand under their butt and the other supporting their back or front, depending on which way they're turned.

If that's not the only time she bites you, I'd treat her for mites.

Millieex

Cavy Slave
i carry her on my chest, he head is rested just before my shoulder. I don't know any other way of carring her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, I just suggested another way to carry her. Hold her against your chest, in front, and hold her with both hands. Or try holding one arm in front of you, close to your body, put her on it, and hold her with the other hand. You can figure out ways of holding her, and if she stops biting when you carry her, then you can be pretty sure that she was objecting to the way she was being carried.

The other possible problem is that she needed to get down to pee, and didn't have any other way to tell you. Some pigs will nibble first, before biting, so if she does that, take that as a signal to put her back in her cage.

Millieex

Cavy Slave
okaa thanks. I hold her close on my chest but she reachs up and nibbles. Also she a wild child and hates being restrainded soo wanted to wriggle free & then run free. :) Ill wear a fleece or something when i carry her in the future. Another reason could be she nibbles on my top or bra strap when carrying. Does this mean anything?

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Honestly I'm just thinking it means she doesn't like being held that way. Guinea pigs chew on things when they're distressed. Mine pulled all the stuffing out of her cuddle cup when she was sick. The other one licks my fingers when he's mad at me. If she's chewing on your bra strap, and then biting you, she's just really not happy that you're carrying her that way (at least, that's my guess). Try carrying her inside of something; she might be more comfy that way. Something like this works pretty well for some pigs. I've tried them in the past. One of my pigs is perfectly comfy riding around in one, the other freaks out even more. It's all about experimentation and figuring out what your pig likes.

Millieex

Cavy Slave
Honestly I'm just thinking it means she doesn't like being held that way. Guinea pigs chew on things when they're distressed. Mine pulled all the stuffing out of her cuddle cup when she was sick. The other one licks my fingers when he's mad at me. If she's chewing on your bra strap, and then biting you, she's just really not happy that you're carrying her that way (at least, that's my guess). Try carrying her inside of something; she might be more comfy that way. Something like this works pretty well for some pigs. I've tried them in the past. One of my pigs is perfectly comfy riding around in one, the other freaks out even more. It's all about experimentation and figuring out what your pig likes.

Ill try carrying her in a cardboard box or something. She nibbles on everything anyway tubes, boxes, sticks, piglet the toy & basically anything you put infront of her

Thanksx

lissie

Cavy Slave
It could also mean you've been holding her too long and she needs to go pee. All of mine will tug at my clothes when they want to go back to the cage. If I don't follow their demand, they sometimes bite. It's like they're saying "Hurry up! I've gave you warning. I need to go!"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.