Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Resources on care for pregnant sow

AliKH

Cavy Slave
I need information on how to care for a pregnant sow. I found out at lest one of my newly adopted females Charlotte is pregnant. I was petting her a few days ago and finding lumps (outlines) in her stomach area. Today I felt one of the baby's kicking while petting her.

I've been very careful picking her up and when petting so I dont think any harms been done to either her or the baby's but I'm having trouble finding information on care for a pregnant sow and with so many incorrect information out there on the care of cavys I thought it would be best just to ask.

I can find plenty of "how to baby proof" threads but not much on during the pregnancy. Any links or information would be helpful and is much needed as I've only dealt with 1 birth before and it was after the fact of the birth.

*Takes deep breath to calm down because shes freaking out a little*

I also believe that both the females I adopted 12 days ago are pregnant since Angel is starting to get a round belly normally found in sows around 4 or 5 weeks. I've been very careful about handling both of them and I'm currently hoping Charlotte doesn't give birth before the 1st of July when I can get the coroplast for there cage.

I tried to take a picture of each sows belly but my camera battery's died before I could get off the photo. :eek:

I'm currently feeding both sows 1/8 cup of oxbow brand adult guinea pig food, 1 medium baby carrot, 1 large leaf of red & curly Romain lettuces (Per Cavy) + unlimited amount of Fresh Timothy hey. I went to fleece bedding + Towels about 10 days ago since I dont mind doing laundry and hate vacuuming.

AliKH

Cavy Slave
Thanks (broken link removed)foggycreekcavy's but I've already read that and it wasn't much help.

I realized this threads in the wrong area so if I mod could delete this thread that would be great since I dont know how and because I plan to post an updated thread in the correct area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.