Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Sweet Meadow Pellets

iluvvamyy

Cavy Slave
I went to the pet store today and I saw that they had Sweet Meadow guinea pig pellets. But in the ingredients it says that it has timothy hay but alfalfa meals. Is this safe for guinea pigs over and under 6 months?

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
I use sweet meadow pellets, they are a great company. They have different varieties of pellets, and have on type for pigs under 6 months. That would most likely be the one with more alfalfa in it.

iluvvamyy

Cavy Slave
Do you mean the guinea pig blend? This: (broken link removed)

So the one with alfalfa meal and timothy grass hay is fine for guinea pigs under 6 months?

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Do you mean the guinea pig blend? This: (broken link removed)

So the one with alfalfa meal and timothy grass hay is fine for guinea pigs under 6 months?

Yes, and this one for adults

(broken link removed)

iluvvamyy

Cavy Slave
Oh okay. So I will just buy the blend for my pig till it's 6 months and older then try to find the guinea pig timothy pellets.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Oh okay. So I will just buy the blend for my pig till it's 6 months and older then try to find the guinea pig timothy pellets.
If you live close enough to find it in your petstore, you can order it directly at a fairly decent shipping cost. Many of us in the Northeast order it directly from the farm. The petstore can also order it for you. I had mine order some, but with the store markup I was better off ordrering it directly myself (I have four pigs, so I order 50 lbs. and freeze it)

iluvvamyy

Cavy Slave
Oh. I live in the Northeast too. And how long would a 5 pound bag of food last me for one pig? If i don't buy the timothy pellets or find them at the pet stores I will possibly buy oxbow. But I will use the blend first.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Perhaps a month or so? I'd not want to run short, so you might want to calculate how much he/she eats per day and go from there.

iluvvamyy

Cavy Slave
Oh okay. I will feed her like 1/8 of a cup everyday. But that is only when shes 6 months and older. People say feed unlimited pellets everyday for 6 months and younger so I will do that. Probably start off putting in 1/8cups and if she finishes it I will refill it and see how much she eats. How much veggies do I feed them? 1cup?

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Ly's charts are here in the forums under Diet and Nutrition..
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Yes, a cup minimum, see Ly's second post after the charts for lots more info. These charts are valuable and it is wise to check them often for new ideas for veggies and also to remind yourself which are good to feed often (zucchini for example) and which to limit or even not to feed at all (spinach for example).

iluvvamyy

Cavy Slave
Oh okay. Thanks, that chart helped me chose what to feed guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.