Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? How much water should a guinea pig be drinking a day?

Kiwi2

Cavy Slave
I was wondering how much they should be drinking. My boy Socks drinks a lot of water, more than my other two boys. I was just concerned!

S0rceress0

Cavy Slave
How many times a day does he get at the water bottle? Does he seem to "always" be there when ever you look at him?

Kiwi2

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how many times, but yes he seem to always be at the water bottle. When its empty he sits there and squeaks at me loudly. The others don't really do that and I always have to watch the bottles to make sure he hasn't drank it all!

S0rceress0

Cavy Slave
Well I don't know too much about guinea pig anatomy so far but from GuineaLynx I got this from under Water Consumption (https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html) I know in horses, dogs, and cats excessive water consumption can be a sign of kidney stress. Only a vet could tell you for sure.

Water consumption is different for each guinea pig. Consumption is dependent on temperature, taste of water, activity, and preference. A guinea pig provided ample vegetable matter (rinsed and still wet) might appear to drink very little during the day. If you are concerned, check for signs of dehydration.

Possible causes of excess water consumption:

Diabetes
Kidney failure
Pain
Hunger

Ill animals (especially those with molar problems) may be unable to eat but will drink excessive amounts of water. Make sure your guinea pig is not just playing with the water bottle (or that the water bottle is not leaking) if you suspect your pet is drinking too much

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.