Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Can Guinea Pigs Eat Lettuce?

Millieex

Cavy Slave
I have read on this website and on people food menus that they give their guinea pigs lettuce. When i brought my guinea pigs I was told that they couldn't have lettuce. Is lettuce safe for guinea pigs?

Thanks xxx

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
They can't have iceberg lettuce but otherwise they can have other lettuces. They're diets should consist of 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup of pellets if they are over 6 months. Also unlimited grass hay and veggies. Red or green leaf, romaine, endive, escorole, butter or any other lettuce than iceberg. Also, bell pepper, tomatoes, a small baby carrot once a day, dandelion greens once a week. They should get fresh veggies every day. There is a veggie chart but I don't know how to put it up. Someone will come along soon that will.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Yea I'm pretty sure iceberg is the only lettuce that is bad for guinea pigs but then again there may be others I'm not sure. My girls absolutly love romain lettuce especially the really dark green leafy part. I've heard that endive is another lettuce that's good for piggies so I might try giving some to Lizzie and Marie and see what they think:)

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yea I'm pretty sure iceberg is the only lettuce that is bad for guinea pigs but then again there may be others I'm not sure. My girls absolutly love romain lettuce especially the really dark green leafy part. I've heard that endive is another lettuce that's good for piggies so I might try giving some to Lizzie and Marie and see what they think:)
Yes, endive is great. I plant it in my garden each year. It tolerates the summer heat very well. Others are oak leaf, green leaf, red leaf, bibb, buttercrunch, black seeded simpson, green ice. There are lots of different lettuces out there !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.