Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can Guinea Pigs Eat Lettuce?

I have read on this website and on people food menus that they give their guinea pigs lettuce. When i brought my guinea pigs I was told that they couldn't have lettuce. Is lettuce safe for guinea pigs?

Thanks xxx

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/95 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Can Guinea Pigs Eat Lettuce?

They can't have iceberg lettuce but otherwise they can have other lettuces. They're diets should consist of 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup of pellets if they are over 6 months. Also unlimited grass hay and veggies. Red or green leaf, romaine, endive, escorole, butter or any other lettuce than iceberg. Also, bell pepper, tomatoes, a small baby carrot once a day, dandelion greens once a week. They should get fresh veggies every day. There is a veggie chart but I don't know how to put it up. Someone will come along soon that will.

3. "Thank you, Deb's4Pigs, for this useful post," says:

Kimberly713 (04-26-11)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Well Debs4PIgs covered the basics but here is the veggie chart that shows all the veggies they can eat, and how often. It is very helpful

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...tml#post254730

Also take note that fruits should be fed sparingly, meaning only once a week really. Too much sugar for them to eat more often than that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    39 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Smile Re: Can Guinea Pigs Eat Lettuce?

Yea I'm pretty sure iceberg is the only lettuce that is bad for guinea pigs but then again there may be others I'm not sure. My girls absolutly love romain lettuce especially the really dark green leafy part. I've heard that endive is another lettuce that's good for piggies so I might try giving some to Lizzie and Marie and see what they think

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    332 Rec'd/206 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cavyluvr View Post
    Yea I'm pretty sure iceberg is the only lettuce that is bad for guinea pigs but then again there may be others I'm not sure. My girls absolutly love romain lettuce especially the really dark green leafy part. I've heard that endive is another lettuce that's good for piggies so I might try giving some to Lizzie and Marie and see what they think
    Yes, endive is great. I plant it in my garden each year. It tolerates the summer heat very well. Others are oak leaf, green leaf, red leaf, bibb, buttercrunch, black seeded simpson, green ice. There are lots of different lettuces out there !

User Tag List