Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Is my guinea pig a roan???

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig recently had her babies and it went perfect. She ate the afterbirth as I was told she would but after that came out there were two little white things inside a bloody case. She would not eat it and I was wondering what it was. I did some research and I think my guinea pig that just gave birth is a roan. I read that most roans have stillborns or miscarrages. So I believe that these things were babies that did not develop. She is an abyssinian and her coloration is Tortoiseshell with her rump white, her back brown with grey patches on the swirls, her shoulders are white and her face is a mix of white, brown and a tan color. I didnt think she was one until i read that her patches should not be a mix of any other color. I also believe I own another roan. She looks like a dutch but it does not cover her whole rump and not her whole face. I will post a pic as soon as I can. But on the side of her face where there is black there is a bit of white mixed in. Could someone tell me if she is a roan too. I have another that has an all white body but the face is agouti. Just to let you all know. I am not a breeder, I do not intend on breeding my guinea pigs. I am simply trying to identify exactly what they are. Im sure most of you would like to know what type of guinea pig you have. Thank, your input would be greatly appreciated.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Another thing. If you look at my avatar, that is the last guinea pig i was talking about. She also has what looks like eyeliner around her eyes. I dont know if that helps in identifying her.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
When you post picture someone should be able to tell you. It sounds like maybe. Sorry you lost two of the babies, but it might be better since she had such a large litter.

I just reread. Thought you said she had five. But, it still might be better if they would have been lethals. It's hard to loose any babies. Is she OK?

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
She is doing fine. Her babies are healthy. Very cute. She would have had 5 babies but these two died. Yes, it is sad that they did not live but if they would have they would have been in misery so it is much better for them.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
To really be able to let you know if your guinea pigs are indeed roans we would need to see pictures. However, what you ar discribing sounds like might be a possibility.

Picture would make it easier to identify if they are roans.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Just glad she and babies are doing well.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
ok I will post pictures later. I dont have pictures on this computer

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
The babies do not seem to be roans though. I will post pics of them tonight also. two have all white bodies, one with a black face and the other with a tan face. the other is all black with white legs and a white band going halfway around its neck. but its a solida black, there is no white mixed with the black besides the solid streak.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
OK i am posting the pictures now. The one that is by the purple cage is the mother. I will only post the adults right now because i can only do 5 at a time and there are 6 pictures. And also, the white and black guinea pig is recovering from mites , that is why she has a patch going down her side.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
these are pictures of the babies and a better one of mom

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I love those babies, especially the white with the black half face. None of them look roan to me, but the black and white adult looks like she maybe is. I can't tell by her face.

None of the babies are lethal at least. They're not all white.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
does the mom look like she is a roan?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
No, to me she looks like a chocolate and white pig. The black and white girl. I can't really see her face that well. She might have some roaning there.

Since you're not planning on breeding them it doesn't really matter does it?

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
and also, does the dad look like he could be a roan? Dont worry. He is in a seperate cage and he will be getting neutered soon.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Which one is the dad? Glad your neutering him, so he can be with the girls then.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
yeah i know. But i would just like to know what i have. She is too old anyways. i can post another pic just of her face too

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
and are u sure the mom werent a roan? did you see on her chocolate spot there is some grey right where her swirl is

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I think the dad is. I just don't see any roaning on the mother. Maybe it's just my eyes.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
the hair on dads face is ticked. Like an agouti. Thats the only color he has

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I thought the dad was the black and white one and the mom the chocolate and white.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.