Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Guinea pig pregnancy

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Hello all. I have a 4 month old guinea pig that is about 66 days pregnant. She has become very lazy, only getting up to get food or water. She cannot even reach down to eat her poo so she just does it and turns around so she can eat it but she keeps getting it on her foot. Her pelvis is seperated alot (about the width of my thumb) and the babies are not moving very much. Ever so often I will take a glimpse at her and see them kick but not for very long. Does anybody know how to tell how many babies she will have and how long till they are born? Thanks so much

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Pregnancy is 58-72 days with 64 being the average. Her pelvis bone will spread to about 1 1/2-2 inches about 24-48 hours prior to giving birth.

Did you intentionally breed her? Breeding guinea pigs is stressful and dangerous for sows. She is also very young and may have some difficulties giving birth and tending to her babies as she is still a baby herself.

As long as she is eating drinking and showing no signs of complications, then it is fine to let her rest. Watch her for any signs of complications and take her to the vet when they arise.

She will probably have them when you are not watching and probably with in a few days from what it sounds like.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I did not purposely breed her. I had brought her and another at the same time and i did not check them myself. I just asked for two girls and pointed at the ones I wanted. After I "caught them in the act" I realised that one was a male. He has since been seperated. I have kept tabs on her weight and behaviour and recently she has become very skidish. When I brought her she was already 1 pound and she has since gained 1 pound and 3oz. I have taken her to a vet and they say she should be fine. But I am just curious how other people who have had this happen to them have made out

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I did not purposely breed her. I had brought her and another at the same time and i did not check them myself. I just asked for two girls and pointed at the ones I wanted. After I "caught them in the act" I realised that one was a male. He has since been seperated. I have kept tabs on her weight and behaviour and recently she has become very skidish. When I brought her she was already 1 pound and she has since gained 1 pound and 3oz. I have taken her to a vet and they say she should be fine. But I am just curious how other people who have had this happen to them have made out

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Did you check the sex of the one that you removed from the cage at that time or did you just assume that it was a male because of mounting? Mounting is normal even with same sex pairs as it is a sign of dominance. How long have you had your guinea pigs for and are you sure she is pregnant?

Store bought piggies are often missexed, sick, or pregnant.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I have checked him and he is in sure a male. I got my newest ones just before Halloween, October 30. I am sure she is pregnant because her stomach is very big and I can see movement. Her pelvis has been seperated for about a week now and I am getting very impatient waiting for them. I keep teasing and tell my mama I wanna squeeze them out (joking of course, I would never hurt her or her babies). I am just a very impatient person.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Sorry about the all the questioning.

Patience is key with expecting mothers. The day that she has them, you may notice that she stays more by herself if she is housed with others or she will stay in her igloo and not eat much or move at all.

I had a guinea pig that I took in that was pregnant, she was about 4 months old at the time that she had the babies (she had 4), anyway the night before she had them she was mostly staying in her igloo and the only movement she did was just barely any and it was more like she just slitherd across the cage. My hand is small (10-12 year old child size) her pelvis bones were spread to about 2 1/2 finger tip size the night before she had the babies which was egual to about 1 1/2-2 inches. Momma and babies did very well, thankfully, the last week or so of her pregnancy I was too, impatient and I worried about all the bad things that could happen.

So the best advice I could give you is to be patient and learn and reconize all the signs of complications and take to vet if and asap when any arise. Also, leave her alone so that she can get comfortable so that she can have a stress free delivery. She will most likely have them when you are not watching.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
One more question. When you feel her pelvis do you feel at the bottom of her rump or under her stomach by her gentalia? I have felt both and noticed that by her rump is much wider than by her genitalia.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
The area by her rump.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks so much

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone. I woke up this morning to my guinea pig making a noise I never heard before and I knew automatically what was happening. She gave birth to 3 babies, two weighing 3 ounces and one at 4. She had them all within minutes of each other with me opening the sack on the first two because she took a while to get to them. They all look healthy. She takes so long to clean them. Just waiting to make sure she will nurse them. I will post pictures as soon as possible

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig recently had her babies and it went perfect. She ate the afterbirth as I was told she would but after that came out there were two little white things inside a bloody case. She would not eat it and I was wondering what it was. I did some research and I think my guinea pig that just gave birth is a roan. I read that most roans have stillborns or miscarrages. So I believe that these things were babies that did not develop. She is an abyssinian and her coloration is Tortoiseshell with her rump white, her back brown with grey patches on the swirls, her shoulders are white and her face is a mix of white, brown and a tan color. I didnt think she was one until i read that her patches should not be a mix of any other color. I also believe I own another roan. She looks like a dutch but it does not cover her whole rump and not her whole face. I will post a pic as soon as I can. But on the side of her face where there is black there is a bit of white mixed in. Could someone tell me if she is a roan too. Just to let you all know. I am not a breeder, I do not intend on breeding my guinea pigs. I am simply trying to identify exactly what they are. Im sure most of you would like to know what type of guinea pig you have. Thank, your input would be greatly appreciated.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
disregard this post. I will start it in a new page because it has nothing to do with pregnancy. Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.