Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Rescue - Possibly Pregnant?

tiffers

Cavy Slave
We've been gently palpating because we've been concerned those squishy things may be babies. But, Loofah has them, too...only not as big, so the biggest part of us says they aren't. And so far, the xray says they aren't as well. This 'wait and see' bit is nerve-wracking.

Thanks for all the information! You've been really helpful.

...do you know if that choristoma causes anything? Are gradual changes normal? Like, I should expect it to change overtime? All the pictures I've seen all seem to be the same general size.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
It may get bigger but it may stay the same, however she is at a higher risk for calcium deposits and or stones so you may actually want limit high calcium foods.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I'm trying to reconfigure my menu, and I'm having a tough time. I don't really know what all is high in what and low in what and such, and I'm looking at the chart here and at GL when my brain is in drive...it's all very confusing, and maybe I am making it WAY more complex than it really is. I think my biggest issue is that I don't know what half of what the stuff everyone feeds is, so I'm having to Google all these weird foods and see where I can get them! Hahaha!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Start with the basics (esentials) Romaine, Green leaf, Redleaf, Cilantro, Bell Pepper, and add rotating veggies from there. That's what I do and it makes their veggie menu much easier. You want to keep sugars down as well because with osseous choristoma it puts her at an increased risk of diabetis. KM's Timothy Pellets may be best for her as they contain less surgar then Oxbow.

Last edited:

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
The pelvic bones don't actually fuse. The cartilage that joins the pelvic bones just becomes less flexible (I made the same mistake in my early rescuing days). https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html It is possible for a pig over a year to give birth it is just much more risky if they haven't had a litter before.  I agree, her nails are still pretty pointy so that could suggest she is on the younger size. And the "bulge" looks like normal piggy fat to me. IME, younger pigs also have seemingly longer, skinnier faces. Some pigs just have thinner faces as well.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
Start with the basics (esentials) Romaine, Green leaf, Redleaf, Cilantro, Bell Pepper, and add rotating veggies from there. That's what I do and it makes their veggie menu much easier. You want to keep sugars down as well because with osseous choristoma it puts her at an increased risk of diabetis. KM's Timothy Pellets may be best for her as they contain less surgar then Oxbow.
Okay, so your essentials are an everyday. And, I have been buying a mixture of Romaine, Red Leaf, Green Leaf, Butter Lettuce, Escarole, Radicchio & Endive. Now, the reason I feed that is because I don't know how to tell the lettuces apart. Can I give them that a handful along with the cilantro and bell pepper? Then, rotate in other veggies.

I have been feeding lots of sugars...they get fruits two times a week, and they LOVE it. But, I know I need to do differently.

Thanks also telling me which pellet would be best. I want to order some (right now they are on crummy pellets), and I couldn't decide which was best. It's good to know what she is more at risk for.

Babytulip, thanks also for the information. I've read that page, the repro page, and it was helpful. I was kind of thinking her little bulges were normal, as Loofah has them, but I've never had pigs before, so I wanted to be sure. Especially since nothing showed up on xray. Thanks, again.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Okay, so your essentials are an everyday. And, I have been buying a mixture of Romaine, Red Leaf, Green Leaf, Butter Lettuce, Escarole, Radicchio & Endive. Now, the reason I feed that is because I don't know how to tell the lettuces apart. Can I give them that a handful along with the cilantro and bell pepper?  
 The mixture would be fine fine with cilantro and bell pepper and then add different rotating veggies. This (broken link removed) for the pellets, her hay is really good too, and well worth the shipping too.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the link! I may try to get my pellets and hay from there for a bit. 3rd cut is best, correct? Should I always buy 3rd cut?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the link! I may try to get my pellets and hay from there for a bit. 3rd cut is best, correct? Should I always buy 3rd cut?
  I would always get the 3rd cut as 3rd cut is much softer and better.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Rnd210, there's at least one poster on Guinea Lynx who recommends second cut over third simply because it's not as green and soft -- supposedly does a better job of grinding down the teeth. I think that recommendation actually came from an exotics vet. I tried searching for the post, but a search for "hay" or "second cut" or "third cut" gets you about a jillion hits, so I gave up.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
tiffers, I feed both Bluegrass and 3rd cut Timothy from KMs Hayloft. I have just a little 2nd cut and sometimes put just a small amount of it into Tulip's hay mix.

Your girl is very pretty. Thanks for linking the pictures. I hope she's not pregnant but time will certainly tell.

You are doing the best you can for her. Feed both of your girls the best you can afford - KMs pellets are the best, followed by Oxbow and Sweet Meadow. Just slowly introduce veggies. My girl eats endive, romaine, green leaf, red leaf, and radicchio. I've tried her with peppers and she won't touch them. With trial and error you will learn what your girls like to eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.