Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Rescue - Possibly Pregnant?

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Well it hasn't sounded to me like she was running out and spaying the pig, am I missing something? It sounds more like she's looking at all her options, and is asking for others opinions. Sounds to me like she's 'trying to help the pig in the best way possible.'

Edit - Aarow posted right before I posted this, and I didn't know. This wasn't directed towards blkaarow, esp since I agree with everything she's said up to this point.

Last edited:

tiffers

Cavy Slave
You could always call the exotics vet and get their opinion as well.
The little girl has been seen and examined by one vet already, not an exotics vet. I sat on the phone for almost an hour with an old friend, an exotics vet, last night. She is the one who recommended the injections, along with everything else in that post. I know that they have ultrasound at her clinic as well, too. But, I don't know that they are board certified radiologists, but if we're just checking for babies...that doesn't necessarily need to be important. So if we can't get the one guy out here to my clinic, then I'll take her to the other clinic to have her checked out.

If she is pregnant you need to be thinking about not only feeding veggies high in vitemin C but also high in Calcium like kale, parsley, spinach.
That's a good point...now, I know she's likely on the unhealthy side, so giving these boosters vegetables will be beneficial now. But, long term she probably should be getting extra doses, so to speak? When do you think I should stop and go back to a regular healthy pig menu?

Bell pepper is your best natural source of dietary C - high quality, fresh pellets also contain it.
I had tried Bell Pepper with Loofah, my original pig, and she wouldn't touch it. So, I don't have any peppers in the fridge, but I'll definitely get another to see if the new girl will like them. I know I need to avoid red, right? I bought a yellow pepper when I first tried to give some to Loofah. Is there a difference between green and yellow?

If you suspect she is pregnant be very careful picking her up and putting pressure on her belly. Do you have any pictures of her? I'd like to see a picture, maybe it will be easier to tell. Or maybe it won't lol Can't hurt to ask though.
Thanks for the information on the weights. I would assume that different pigs will have different weights at a full grown healthy state. So, I don't really know where she should stop at. :silly: I have the girls with me at work today, we're going to weigh and xray her, so I'll post where she's at today. I also have pictures...some from up top, too (during her introduction with Loofah) and you can really see her funny shaped belly. But, on the same hand...I've never had pigs before, and Loofah is a fluffly little thing, so I don't know her 'shape'...but she certainly feels a lot different than the new girl. (She really needs a name!)

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for chosing to "pick up a pig with unknown history," you probably saved her life! I don't see how this is the same as comparing to putting the pig to sleep. I understand that spaying is harder than neutering, and shouldn't be done unless necessary. Tiffers - you are trying to find out as much information possible, looking at ALL your options, and you're trying to do what's in the best interest for you pig. I see that as someone being a responsible pet owner, and cleaning up after the last irresponsible owner. I don't see any shame in that. I don't get how people can get away with being so rude.
Thank you for that, and it is exactly how I feel.

As you said spaying can be risky, I think Feylin was saying that putting a pig through a very risky surgery just because she MIGHT be pregnant isn't much better then putting a down simply because it had teeth problems or severe mites.

Heaven's...I never said I'd spay the pig because she might be. I said I'd want her spayed if she was indeed pregnant. This is how everything gets blown out of proportion...and, it's not just what she said...I was basically called a murderer and this absolutely horrific pet owner when all I've done is ask questions about what's best for the pig.

No one is saying she shouldn't have rescued her, obviously. We are saying that adopting from unknown backgrounds has its share of risks and with that risk comes the responsibility to help the pig in the best way possible. Not by putting her into more risk.

I realize that rescuing comes with it's share of risks and issues. I own plenty of special needs animals, every single one rescued or pulled from the street. I take in orphaned babies (dogs/cats) all the time and bottle feed and get them over the hump so that they can be adopted later through our hospital's adoption program. I've been doing it for nearly 7 years now. I'm not saying I didn't expect problems. I knew full well what I was jumping in, and I jumped in knowing full well that she may be pregnant. In fact, I almost didn't take her the first time I was told about her. We left...and then drove back 30 minutes later to pick her up. The simple fact is that I am trying to get AS MUCH information as I can, to make the best possible decisions for my pig. I have been talking to different veterinarians since I picked up this girl. I would like the opinions of people who have had pigs for a while and can offer more information and help as well.
Spaying is dangerous. So is an older pig giving birth, esp. if it's for the first time, which I gather is unknown. It's going to take a vet visit to tell which is safer for this particular pig, if this particular pig is diagnosably pregnant.
This is exactly where I am at. We're working towards figuring out if she's pregnant or not. If she is not, then SWEET! I'm doing all this worrying for nothing. If she is, I need to be prepared for it and I need her in tip top shape. I've already talked to an exotics vet, and she said if she's young, we're having babies. If she's older, we're having surgery, likely a c-section...but, we'll cross that when we get there. She explained to me all the risks with her, especially since we do not know her history...and I'm prepared for them. But, my pig's health comes first and foremost. I'm not sure how that makes me a terrible owner, but some apparently do.

It sounds more like she's looking at all her options, and is asking for others opinions. Sounds to me like she's 'trying to help the pig in the best way possible.'
I even stated many times, that I don't want her to have surgery...and so I am not entirely sure where everyone thinks I want to spay her. I've lost a rat to a routine spay, and I know that guinea pigs are even more risky with surgery...I am trying to avoid surgery, but if that's what we decide (me and the vets I've been talking to) then that's what we're doing.

I'll let you all know what we find on xray today, and how much she weighs. We've got some surgeries this morning and this afternoon, so I'm not sure when we'll be xraying her...but, it's definitely getting done. Even if it's after we close.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm trying to soak up as much as possible to prepare for the worst. Everyone has been really, really helpful...at both sites.

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
You said in the thread on GL that you would not adopt out any of the babies and that if she was pregnant you would spay her because you didn't want any babies. You said this several times. That is why people think you want to spay her and were getting agitated that they had to repeat themselves so many times.

You have been given the same information here as you were on GL so I'm not sure what other "information" you are looking for as far as spaying.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
I said I would not adopt out any of the babies in MY area, and you're right. I will not. Absolutely not. I mentioned talking with a rescue, and I have emailed some of the members who offered to help with the babies there already.

I said many times that I do not want her to have surgery. Many, many times. However, I do not want to kill her so I can have more guinea pigs. If it comes to a c-section, her life comes first and is most important to me and the vets I'm working with regarding her situation. If she's a young pig, we're having babies, as I, also, already said. If she's an old pig...we're doing a c-section, and as I said...her life comes first.

Yes, I have been given the 'same' information. I want as much as I can get, and from as many as I can...what is so wrong with that!? I seriously don't understand...and I don't know why you all insist on reopening everything. Leave it alone...seriously. There's no point in it.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
I think it was coming across as, I don't like the answers I got over there, so I will ask them again over here. That may not have been the case, but that is how it came across to those of us to are members of each board. In all honesty, everyone just wants what's best for the pig.

I hoep she is not pregnant and all is well with her.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
I think it was coming across as, I don't like the answers I got over there, so I will ask them again over here.
Oh heaven's. That is not the case at all...not at all. It is not that I don't like the information I got there, it's the welcoming committee. :cheerful: I did learn how 'risky' a spay was, and it has made me even more nervous if the vet decides a c-section is necessary because of her age, which is still unknown at this point.

She weighs in at 1.84lbs. I don't know if that helps anything at all, but it's a starting point, and we'll see how she holds up the next few days. We're going into surgery now and so we'll likely xray her in the next few hours, and I'll definitely let you all know what we find...hopefully nothing!

Is there anything I can take a picture of on her that will help you guys determine how old she may be? Teeth? Someone mentioned her nails? Is there anything that may help us?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
She will always need to be on the high vitimen C veggies, but as for the high calcium part she would need to be on it while she is pregnant and while nursing. If she is not pregnant then maybe add the higher calcium for a couple of weeks to help get her healthy.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Is there anything I can take a picture of on her that will help you guys determine how old she may be? Teeth? Someone mentioned her nails? Is there anything that may help us?

I know it is really hard to determine the age of a guinea pig, But you could post a picture of her from top view which could help for determining pregnancy or possibly about how far along. You could post a picture of her nails and face and maybe someone might be able to give a good estimated age of her. It may help.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
Sounds good. I'll do that today, thanks! She has a much longer face and body than Loofah (whom I got when she was still very small - in August). I'll post a picture of her nails, face, and body from top and side view, and hopefully we can get a good guesstimate.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
I am going to drop the entire previous conversations and just focus on what we know. ( I think that is best all the way around)

1. If she is indeed pregnant and is on the younger side, do not spay her. Between the people here and on GL, I am sure we can help you rehome the babies. If she is older, then you need to discuss that with your vet.

2. There is a differnce in taste between red, yellow and green bell peppers. I have one pig that liked red and one that likes green.

3. So she weighs roughly 835 grams. Odds are she is still young, my guess would be under a year. (However there are pigs that are smaller by nature). The best way to tell age is with an xray. They can tell by the bones. My vet did not know I knew the exact day one of my pigs was born. When he said he believed him to be just over a year, he was dead on. He had just turned 2 a month before.

4. A top view picture would really help. If you take one once a week, it will help you guage if she is getting bigger. Also weigh her a lot..more than normal. If she is pregnant, you will see a rapid weight gain. She either is fully grown, or almost. If she is not pregnant, you may see a little weight gain.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I think it was coming across as, I don't like the answers I got over there, so I will ask them again over here. That may not have been the case, but that is how it came across to those of us to are members of each board. In all honesty, everyone just wants what's best for the pig.

I hoep she is not pregnant and all is well with her.

I don't have any advice to give and I hope the piggy isn't pregnant, though malnutrition sounds just as bad, but I read both lists and I see lots of people posting the exact same question on both lists. Why is that coming across as "I don't like the answers" and not as "maybe I can find more people to help me understand"?

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
FlowersGrandma...I am not addressing this any further as I stated in my post. Tiffers and I have been in comminucation and I think there is an understanding and I would like to leave it at that. There is a lot I could say about your question, but I really would like to get tiffers the help she wants and get past what has been said.

Tiffers...how did your vet visit go?

tiffers

Cavy Slave
1. If she is indeed pregnant and is on the younger side, do not spay her. Between the people here and on GL, I am sure we can help you rehome the babies. If she is older, then you need to discuss that with your vet.
That is definitely what we're going to do. When I was talking to her last night, she suggested that we get her healthy while waiting to see if she's pregnant. By waiting, I mean we're weighing as often as possible, and xrayed today, and we'll xray again in two weeks. If in two weeks she's showing pregnancy signs (hopefully not!), she's headed across town and into the next one to have my friend palpate her and maybe do a quick ultrasound.

2. There is a differnce in taste between red, yellow and green bell peppers. I have one pig that liked red and one that likes green.
I had read somewhere that you should avoid red peppers? I will try a green one when I go to the store tomorrow. I know Loofah definitely didn't like the yellow.

The best way to tell age is with an xray. They can tell by the bones.
That's really interesting. I wonder if I emailed the xray from today if she'd be able to tell. Our xray machine doesn't capture exotics very well, but then...it doesn't need to. :p We only see dogs and cats here.

4. A top view picture would really help. If you take one once a week, it will help you guage if she is getting bigger. Also weigh her a lot..more than normal. If she is pregnant, you will see a rapid weight gain. She either is fully grown, or almost. If she is not pregnant, you may see a little weight gain.
I want to make sure and weigh her on the same scale, as some do differ slightly. So, I'll either bring her to work with me every other day or take the scale home at night and bring it back. It's a small cat scale, so easy to tote around, so I'll likely do that than take the pigs back and forth.

Also, I took quite a few views of her today...because, I wasn't sure how much would be helpful. When I leave here (work) and get home, I'll try and get them posted as soon as possible.

Tiffers...how did your vet visit go?
I brought her in this morning, and my boss and I went over everything that the exotics vet and I talked about last night again. We also talked about a few of the things that were said in this thread about the vitamin c injections and diet and such. We weighed her, and then we took her xray. We don't see any babies, and hopefully it will stay that way. That would make me VERY happy. I lowered the resolution quite a bit and resized the image so that it would be easier to share, but if anyone is interested...this is this morning...

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I brought her in this morning, and my boss and I went over everything that the exotics vet and I talked about last night again. We also talked about a few of the things that were said in this thread about the vitamin c injections and diet and such. We weighed her, and then we took her xray. We don't see any babies, and hopefully it will stay that way. That would make me VERY happy. I lowered the resolution quite a bit and resized the image so that it would be easier to share, but if anyone is interested...this is this morning...
Well, as they say, "No news is good news." You can't do much else for now, so just love on her, feed her lots, and relax. If she's not pregnant, you can breathe a sigh of relief and if she is, internal stress isn't going to help matters any and you have got a long haul.

I sympathize with you on not wanting babies, that's why I wanted boys. Hoping you get the news you want. She makes a very cute x-ray by the way. :)

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Scales should not be different. It is best to weigh her in grams as it gives a better indication of what is going on. You can pick one up fairly inexpensively at Walmart or Target. They are good to have on hand any way as you should weigh your pigs weekly any way.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
I sympathize with you on not wanting babies, that's why I wanted boys. Hoping you get the news you want. She makes a very cute x-ray by the way. :)
Thank you! She was fun to xray, she kept a good grip on my hand the whole time. :p She was a good sport, though. She's so sweet.

Scales should not be different. It is best to weigh her in grams as it gives a better indication of what is going on. You can pick one up fairly inexpensively at Walmart or Target. They are good to have on hand any way as you should weigh your pigs weekly any way.

Not every scale is exactly the same, unfortunately. It depends on when they were calibrated and how cheaply they were made, etc.

The cat scale that we have will weigh in kilograms, I think? I'm not sure. We always use pounds. I have a kitchen scale that has a little bowl on top that I could fit them in to weigh each of them, but...I don't know what it weighs in? I can't remember. I bought it a while back when I started feeding my dogs and cats raw, but they are no longer on raw so it hasn't been used in a while. I could certainly use it for the pigs. I'll check it when I get home.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
You can tell by her x-ray that her pelvic bones have not fused, meaning she has either had a litter before or that she is most likely under 9 months of age. Fusing can start between 9 months and 1 year. With the weight that you posted earleir I would say she is about 6-8 months old.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
You can tell by her x-ray that her pelvic bones have not fused, meaning she has either had a litter before or that she is most likely under 9 months of age. Fusing can start between 9 months and 1 year. With the weight that you posted earleir I would say she is about 6-8 months old.

Really? That's good to know! I'm just getting the pictures off my camera...which hopefully will also help some. It is possible that she did previously have a litter, but again...I don't know if that's a fact or not. I just think it could be possible considering the other pigs she came in with. I'm glad I posted her xray, because we don't see piggies, so we don't know the fancy little things like that. That's really interesting.

tiffers

Cavy Slave
DaCourt, my little kitchen scale weighs in ounces/pounds and grams/kilograms, but it's not digital and I don't like that. Especially because I want specific numbers, so I think I'll try and see about getting a digital scale tomorrow. (I'm very late with buying Christmas presents!)

Here are quite a few pictures of her, from all sorts of angles.

Here is a of her. And a ...sort of. (If we need something a little more on her level from the side, just say so.)

Here's and ...her nails are a lot cleaner than when I brought her home, and hopefully they'll be as clean as Loofah's soon.

Now, keep in mind that my other pig is VERY fluffy...like, really, really fluffy...and this girl has a smooth coat on her back end, so the things in these next two pictures may be entire normal. They don't look cystic or tumor material on xray, but I don't know if they're abnormal or not? If you pick her up, she has this...erm, luggage in her belly. And if you palpate her belly, you can put your fingers around these two little balls...they're mobile, and are probably normal anatomy, but we want to be sure.

Here's with those things sticking out...and here's of whatever it is. They feel symmetrical as well and are squishy...

This is the thing on . Someone at GL suggested it may be an osseous choristoma, and from looking at the pictures provided there and her eye...I'd say it's pretty close, if not exactly it. But, the other type, the metaplasia, is more common in older pigs. I've read a few of the threads concerning this there, and a few seem to think the choristoma is in older pigs, but it seems a lot of younger pigs have it, too...?

Oh, and here's a few of her face. She has a long narrow face. Much longer and skinnier than Loofah's (my other pig.) (in this view, you can also see those big bulgy, probably completely normal, squishy thing poking out). . .

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Her eye does indicate that she is older but her feet looks like she is younger and her xray indicates that she is not over a year old. She is very pretty. The eye thing does look like osseous choristoma and although it is commonly seen in older pigs does not mean she is older as it can also occur with inbreeding and or hereditary. Meaning she could of been born with the eye problem. She also could have been born to malnurished mother. You really shouldn't be squishing at her sides if she is pregnant cause you could hurt her or the unborn babies. However many guinea pigs do start getting pudgey looking on their sides when they are well fed with little exercise. Also, when they are fed food that is not good for them as well.  

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.