Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Visible black jumping bug?

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
However, you do have to consider the extreme sensitivity of a guinea pig's stomach and digestive system. They are physically unable to vomit, so if they get an upset stomach, they will just simply stop eating which means they stop eliminating, which means their whole digestive system stops working, sometimes within as little time as 6 hours, though 12 hours, I think, without eating or pooping is when it becomes a life or death situation.

Thanks! I think its good of you to point that out in this thread of sarahczspots because so many things can upset their sensitive systems, I am beginning to learn and put a few things together... Horses, are also unable to vomit - like guinea pigs... learning is a good process of elimination...

(I used Diatomaceous Earth in the carpets when we moved into our new home - because it was flea and ant infested and used the hoover daily also - worked like a fast charm on fleas and their eggs, and sorted the ants out too... as a precaution I used one dose of advantage on the cat and dog in case of yard infestation. We have had no issues for the last year since doing that.)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Please don't use any flea spray on your guinea pigs, quechua601. Most, if not all, or toxic to guinea pigs.

SquareWheels30

Cavy Slave
Sarahczspots- I hope you found your Advantage by now. After going through so much trying to find it, I'm sure it kinda feels like you're on a hunt for buried treasure. Your piggy will love you for it, though.

KiwiCavyAdorer-I had no idea that horses were the same as guinea pigs in that way. Very interesting!

sarahczspots

Cavy Slave
Chubs is MUCH happier now. He's much more active and just seems happier in general. No more incessant itching!

And yes, KiwiCavyAdorer is right about the horse comparison. When horses get upset tummies (called colic in horses) they roll excessively on their backs and sides to try to alleviate the pain but instead cause more damage by twisting their intestines around, worsening the pain and making it much more difficult to save them. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.