Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Walmart and piercings

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Does Walmart do cartilage piercings?
I know some do ear LOBES, but I was wondering if they did above the lobe.
If so, has anyone ever tried them with a piercing?

LisaJeanne

Cavy Slave
some do, but most places have stopped only because the gun can get stuck.. i have had that happen and its not very fun.. if you have a clairs they will piece it 1 time on each side but its gonna be kinda low.. best bet is to go to a piercing place and getting it done with the needle the way it should be, i have 11 ear piercings in each ear and 4 being in each cartlige but i have had them done at clairs before only diff is its a little more painful if the gun gets stuck and can rip when they pull the gun off. and you have a bigger chance of infection and getting the bump on the back with a gun. but keep it clean and you should do fine. if you know they pierce ears all you gotta do is ask! good luck.

anwaflynurse

Cavy Slave
I would go to a place that does body piercing, they use a hollow bore needle to pierce, so it takes out the tissue vs pushing it aside like the gun does. I have had it done both ways and boy oh boy the gun hurts 100x more than the needle. well worth the extra $. Where I live, I think it cost me $30 for needle piercing at a tattoo shop that does body piercing.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Please don't get a piercing at a Walmart, Claires or any other "mall type" location. The people who do piercings there have only the most basic of training and those guns they use cannot be sterilized. If you get a cartilage piercing from them you have a high chance of infection, cauliflower ear and even of catching a disease (like hepatitis)

Go to a proper piercing/tattoo studio and make sure it's one with a good reputation. Proper piercers autoclave their equipment to sterilize it and they truly know what they are doing and about proper aftercare. They will also be there for you if you have any complications.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I would not recomend a walmart or ardene or clairs or any other store.

Get it done by a professional who uses clean, sterile equipment.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Please don't get a "gun" cartilage piercing - it is the most incredibly painful way to have it done! I had mine done 16 years ago with a gun before I knew better, and I still remember the pain! The needle piercings I've had since then have been much less painful - and as everyone has said, at a professional piercer's, everything can be autoclaved for your safety.

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
I got 16 piercings from wal-mart during my teen phase. I went piercing crazy over a period of about 1 1/2 years. And the thing about all of them is, they never stopped hurting. Everytime I would try to sleep they would still be sore. We're talking 3 years after getting them done! I've taken them out since then. I have no piercings left at all. I don't think walmart should even have the ability to pierce ears.

I have since gotten my ears done at a piercing place with a needle and there is no pain now. Guns are not the best idea for piercings.

moetheguineapig

Cavy Slave
I got my nose peirced at one of the tatoo places they did it so good! To bad it hurts alot but my friend got cartilage and said she didn't feel a thing nd that was with a needle

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Here in Canada you have to get anything Cartilage done at a professional shop (tattoo shops). Never get them anywhere else even if they offer it. You don't want cartilage pierced with a gun, but a needle. If you have it done with a gun it just pushes the cartilage aside and causes a bump. Where as a needle removes the plug of skin leaving a nice clean look. Also I would recommend getting it down with a hoop, that allows easy cleaning, oxygen to get to the piercing site and if it swells it isn't a concern. If you get a stud put in and it swells you most likely have to take it out. I have many piercings and tattoos.

jen867

Cavy Slave
Do NOT get a cartilage piercing with a gun.
It is unsafe. You can shatter the cartilage in your ear, along with other complications. Go to a piercing parlor. Its going to be a bit more expensive, but they will be properly trained and have the correct tools and jewelry.
And if you insist on not going to a real piercing parlor- do not use the after care they give you. The chemicals are not good for healing. Saline solution is the BEST for piercings- a combination of sea salt and warm water. Place on a cotton ball and clean the piercing, as well as let is soak there for a bit.

I've had many piercings and have followed all the above- never had one issue. :)

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Please don't get a piercing at a Walmart, Claires or any other "mall type" location. The people who do piercings there have only the most basic of training and those guns they use cannot be sterilized. If you get a cartilage piercing from them you have a high chance of infection, cauliflower ear and even of catching a disease (like hepatitis)

Go to a proper piercing/tattoo studio and make sure it's one with a good reputation. Proper piercers autoclave their equipment to sterilize it and they truly know what they are doing and about proper aftercare. They will also be there for you if you have any complications.
Now I'm sort of scared, my parents pierced my ears at a mall when I was little. How do I know if I caught a disease?

jen867

Cavy Slave
Now I'm sort of scared, my parents pierced my ears at a mall when I was little. How do I know if I caught a disease?
You can get a blood test at the doctors.
To be honest, my first piercing were my ears from the mall when i was a BABY. I've had blood tests for other health issues that just check everything- no problem.
I'd honestly be more concerned with the ear issues and less the diseases.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
You can get a blood test at the doctors.
To be honest, my first piercing were my ears from the mall when i was a BABY. I've had blood tests for other health issues that just check everything- no problem.
I'd honestly be more concerned with the ear issues and less the diseases.
Haha yeah, I tend to get paranoid. But I was like, 3 years old or something. It's good information for the future though, I'm glad I learned this.

RaisinSpock

Cavy Slave
I have had my ears pierced at Claires, (only the lobes) and they got infected, so I had to let them close up. The second time I got my ear lobes pierced was by my Grandma with a needle and a piece of apple and ice cubes, and I haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure if you can pierce ear cartilage the "homemade" way. It might be kind of hard.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I've had my ears pierced at a mall or Claire's three separate times, and every time they got infected. After the infection was gone, I still wore the earrings, but they made my ears hurt. My holes always closed even after having the piercing for two years or more.

Gun piercing are incredibly dangerous if you take into account the fact that the people who do those piercings are not professionals in any way what-so-ever. They are store clerks and nothing more. I've been told that a piercing done professionally tends to hurt less.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Got my ears pierced with a gun. over 10 years ago, and it's not very long ago I got rid of infection. Maybe 3 years. Not talking about the pain that took for years to totally go.
Got my tongue done a piercing place, no infection, almost no pain.
And one big difference.. they disinfected everything before. Not when I got ears done. Dont every trust someone that isnt a professional.
I have worked at a jeweller, and they told me "Ok, here's the gun, mark with a pen, do it. Then sell more earrings!!!!"
You would trust me?? I wouldnt!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.