Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps I think my Ramp is too steep how do i fix it

tazz22

Cavy Slave
I have a ramp and i believe i made it to steep my piggies will not use it they are new to ramps how should i get them to use it is lined with carpet and they still have no clue what to do.. I think it may be to steep how do i fix it

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Can you make another ramp? If you make it a lot longer it won't be as steep. Or prop the end up on a brick perhaps. So they jump up on the brick and then proceed up the ramp. Also if you have edges on either side of the ramp they will feel more secure to use it.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I have a ramp and i believe i made it to steep my piggies will not use it they are new to ramps how should i get them to use it is lined with carpet and they still have no clue what to do.. I think it may be to steep how do i fix it
Yes, that looks a little steep! I used two grids, folded in half, then zip tied together for my ramp. I then took a piece of coro and covered it with fleece with binder clips and lay that on top for them to walk on. Since my ramp comes up through a grid, I use a fiddle stick to cover the top of the ramp so that they piggies don't come in contact with the edges of the grid and the ramp. They have no trouble going up or down it. The folded side makes a nice "hand rail" on the outside edge, the wall makes one on the other side, so they can't fall off.

tazz22

Cavy Slave
the problem is i already have it nailed to the floor and i cant remove it is there any way to fix it that anyone knows of

Sirene

Cavy Slave
the problem is i already have it nailed to the floor and i cant remove it is there any way to fix it that anyone knows of

Not really, no. You said it's nailed down - is your cage made of wood? I think your only option will be to remove it and make a longer one/extend it.

tazz22

Cavy Slave
well crap if anyone can think of a way to fix it let me know... yes the cage is wood.. do you think if i put some of the black like pluming tube they would be able to use it

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I really don't know - my pigs won't walk on Fiddlesticks laid flat on the cage floor, let alone a ramp! lol

There are some great pictures of ramps in the galleries, though- maybe they will give you some ideas:Ramps and Steps - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

umjess

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could try this:

(Sorry made it on paint...lol)

tazz22

Cavy Slave
thats a really good idea thanks

lissie

Cavy Slave

tazz22

Cavy Slave
i think the top my still be to steep

tazz22

Cavy Slave
the cage is 4 ft tall and 42" long it is a pretty big.. it is nailed in both top and bottom i am thinking of pulling out the staples in the bottom and using stones... how do i attach the ramp to the stones

lissie

Cavy Slave
You don't need to attach the ramp to the stone. Just let it rest on top. You'll have to make sure the top is secured.

Your cage is 4' feet long and how deep/wide? The most inportant part in a guinea pig cage is the main level. Guinea pigs are not climbers like rats or jumpers like chinchilla. They like to run laps.

The main level should be at least 7.5 sq.ft for one pig and 10.5 sq.ft is recommended for 2 pigs.

tazz22

Cavy Slave
it is 2 feet deep and 4 feet long

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
The image makes it seem as if it's 14 inches wide (the cage), but 4 feet long.
That would be a bit over 4 square feet, unless the picture is making me make a bad judgement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.