Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

guinea pig died

drumfun

Cavy Slave
My pig cheeka passed away two days ago.She was bloated and not moving for a day.I'll miss her.

GGuineaPigg

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss. She will be missed.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Did she, by chance, see a vet?

drumfun

Cavy Slave
no!it happend so fast.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Bloated and not moving for a whole day doesn't seem very fast to me.

In any case, I'm sorry for your loss.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Bloated and not moving for a whole day doesn't seem very fast to me.

In any case, I'm sorry for your loss.

Harsh!

Anyway, I'm so sorry for your loss. I have never even heard of that happening, guess I'm not all that informed yet, but your sharing has offered me another opportunity to learn something. I hope you have many dear memories of your piggie and that she brought you much happiness.

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
drumfun...so sorry for your loss.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave

It's not harsh, it's reality. Drumfun, I am not trying to be rude or anything of the sort, but a day is plenty long enough to get your pig to an emergency vet.

I am very sorry for your loss.

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Well the poor thing is dead, & there is nothing she can do now, So no reason to sit here and talk about what she could have done.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Well the poor thing is dead, & there is nothing she can do now, So no reason to sit here and talk about what she could have done.

No, there is nothing she can do. However, it will help her/him(?) in the future to talk about what she could have done.

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Still no reason to dwell on the past. Goodbye!

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
My friends husband had the flu. They talked about taking him to the doctor but it was late and they thought they would wait for the next day. He died that night. Do you think I walked up to her and said, "Well there is such a thing as an emergency room. You could have taken him. But you didn't and now he is dead. I'm sorry for your loss."

Granted guinea pigs have no voice, and they are quick to go downhill it isn't like she said she let her guinea pig suffer for weeks.

I found that distasteful true or not. Wrong decision or not that doesn't mean she doesn't feel awful. Why else would she post here about it. Certainly not to be told she didn't do enough and make her feel guilty. Its done and over and she has lost a pet. There is no point in saying anything negative.

And no that isn't teaching them a lesson about talking about what they could have done. What you are doing is making them not want to talk. Watching the reaction they got for being honest makes me think twice about what I say on here...

I kind of hope there is something more behind that comment than what meets the eye.

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
My friends husband had the flu. They talked about taking him to the doctor but it was late and they thought they would wait for the next day. He died that night. Do you think I walked up to her and said, "Well there is such a thing as an emergency room. You could have taken him. But you didn't and now he is dead. I'm sorry for your loss."

Granted guinea pigs have no voice, and they are quick to go downhill it isn't like she said she let her guinea pig suffer for weeks.

I found that distasteful true or not. Wrong decision or not that doesn't mean she doesn't feel awful. Why else would she post here about it. Certainly not to be told she didn't do enough and make her feel guilty. Its done and over and she has lost a pet. There is no point in saying anything negative.

And no that isn't teaching them a lesson about talking about what they could have done. What you are doing is making them not want to talk. Watching the reaction they got for being honest makes me think twice about what I say on here...

I kind of hope there is something more behind that comment than what meets the eye.
Agreed MaggieMae! I feel the same.:)

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss. HUGS

Amanda&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. While I agree that you should've taken her to the vet, there is nothing you can do. Besides, we do not know the whole story.

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
Not to join in the argument but I think when someone's pet dies, they probably feel bad enough already without being told they could have done better.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You kind of have to remember that the reason this forum exists is to see guinea pigs live happier, healthier, better, longer lives.

Guinea pigs are animals whose lives often hang on prompt veterinary attention, so when a person posts a very vague, simple single line, 'my pig died after being bloated and not moving for a day' I really fail to see how it's unfair to ask if the animal saw a vet; and given that this particular owner has another pig, perhaps pointing out that a day - in terms of time for a pig - is actually pretty significant and s/he can take from this very unfortunate experience that they are indeed exceedingly fragile creatures that benefit from urgent attention when they fall ill.

According to previous posts, this particular pig was 6 1/2 - 7 months old, so I'm sorry if you disagree, but I think it's reasonable to ask and point out for this poster's current or future pigs how to change the outcome in the future, particularly in the event that something might be treatable, or preventable.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
You kind of have to remember that the reason this forum exists is to see guinea pigs live happier, healthier, better, longer lives.

Guinea pigs are animals whose lives often hang on prompt veterinary attention, so when a person posts a very vague, simple single line, 'my pig died after being bloated and not moving for a day' I really fail to see how it's unfair to ask if the animal saw a vet; and given that this particular owner has another pig, perhaps pointing out that a day - in terms of time for a pig - is actually pretty significant and s/he can take from this very unfortunate experience that they are indeed exceedingly fragile creatures that benefit from urgent attention when they fall ill.

According to previous posts, this particular pig was 6 1/2 - 7 months old, so I'm sorry if you disagree, but I think it's reasonable to ask and point out for this poster's current or future pigs how to change the outcome in the future, particularly in the event that something might be treatable, or preventable.

I'm just saying if I posted my guinea pig died and someone made a comment that appeared to be so blunt, like someone was pointing a finger and jabbing it at me with blame, I wouldn't come back.

You might think that is for the best but really you are doing to opposite.

There were plenty of nicer ways to address the situation. Yes it was blunt and to the point. However, when something someone cares about dies blunt is not always tactful.

And you are right. It was very vague.

As it seems, she did not respond appropriately. There could be more to it or that could be it. People post on here all the time that their guinea pig is bloated or has some other big problem and ask what to do. Obviously they are not running to the vet about it or they wouldn't be posting.

If you really wanted her to learn a lesson, I am sure she has. Lets not stick our fingers in wounds.

However, I know from being around here my argument isn't going to change your mind so I don't even know why I am writing this. I guess because it will make me feel better. And maybe the original poster.

Talking via the internet makes it so easy to manipulate what has been said. But honestly I feel most of the time it goes both ways.

People get on here all the time and stretch the truth about stuff or make excuses. Sometimes I really wonder if things on here are said to be helpful or if they are said because they are vengeful. Of course, it is all open to interpretation and who can really know what is behind someones words through text on a screen.

The point gets nowhere making enemies however. If making a room full of friends, out of people you hate saves a life, it might be worth it to go about being friendly.

Either way, I am glad your previous posts have been explained. I also feel it would be a wise choice to take the other guinea pig to the vet seeing as one has died from somewhat unknown causes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.