Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm How do I know if its too hot or cold for my piggies...

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I was planning on taking my piggies out this afternoon, but then had second thoughts. I have grids all set up and they wouldn't be unattended at all. But the wind was a little cool. It was middle 50's today with bright warm sun but a little breeze. Since the landlord already shut the heat for the building off for the year it would be little temperature change from inside. (its about 65 in my apartment in the winter) I was comfortable taking my kids out in hooded sweatshirts and pants. But would this be too cold for guinea pigs??? How much affect would be sun, wind, clouds have? If I was in a hooded sweat shirt and pants and comfortable (I'm a wimp when it comes to cold...) would the guinea pigs? If I took them out side how would I know if they are too hot or cold. I know they don't pant like a dog right? I know they puff out when they are cold they do that at times inside (warmest spot in the apartment, you should feel how cold and hot my room gets...) and then I get them extra fleece. But any help on determining temperatures and weather conditions that are acceptable would be great. I would love to take them out to some fresh grass....

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Your pigs are comfortable in the same temps you're comfortable in in a t shirt - ie room temperature-ish with a couple degrees lee way on either side.

I think if you need a warm sweater it's probably too cold for them especially if it's breazy. They shouldn't be in direct over head sunshine (so not at like high noon) when it's warm, or in a breeze/draft.

victoria07

Cavy Slave
I've read they can't be under direct sunlight, but why?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I think anything under 65 deg. is too cold. My place gets down to 69 overnight in winter (well this is the first time we have really had an extended winter and it has gotten that cold inside) and they are fluffed up like little fur balls in the morning. So I wouldn't take them out even at 65. If there is a breeze it would be even cooler.
I can also see that anything over 82 deg is clearly too hot. It got that hot inside for a few days last October/November when I had turned the A/C off, and although I was comfortable inside (I like it warm), the piggies were not active and lay out in the open not in their hideys, I think because they were too warm. So I turned the A/C back on. Such is the Houston climate.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
I would think around 75 degrees in the shade without any major wind would be a nice temperature. I go by, if I am comfortable in the shade, either sweating nor chilled, the piggies will be fine.

Sadly, here in GA, we miss a real spring, so it is literally 2 weeks a year that meets that criteria. It goes from cold to really hot in a heartbeat. I try to let the piggies out in the morning during the summer, it is nice and warm, but not hot. Once I start sweating, it is time for them to go back inside.

Cogni, I was trying to safe some money on the electrical bill and had the windows open last week instead of the AC on. It got to around 80 in the house. The water use from my piggies tripled, so I caved and pit the AC on. Anything for the piggies, who cares about the human comfort or pocket book lol

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I know what the ideal temps are. There is nothing I can do about the 65 degree winter temp inside of my apartment. We are not allowed to put plastic on our windows because the landlord is afraid of mold. The 65 degree temp is when the heat is maxed out at 90 and outside temp is 20 below. I also live in a corner unit on the southwest corner of the building. The neighbor that lives on the north east corner of the building actually had her pet freeze to death (they believe) not this year but last year. We live in an old building and for multiple reasons we cannot move. I provide the boys with extra food, houses, hidies and tunnels with hay and extra blankets to cuddle up in. They also huddle up together and if needed I have taken an oil heater and set it next to their cage. I was looking for the low temps and the max temps for guinea pigs as well as wind, sun and cloud conditions. I am a freeze baby and the t shirt thing really helped. The boys definitely loved going outside yesterday. It was 67 yesterday with a nice warm sun and very little/no breeze. I took them out around 5pm so the sun wasn't so intense but it was as warm as it was going to get. I was comfortable in a tee shirt and pants. They didn't seem cold or hot in the least. My kids played outside for 3 hours and the piggies were out side for an hour. Thanks for the help....

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I think you have got your range, for your climate and what your piggies are used to. 65 with warm sun and no wind (for outdoors) OR indoors with extra stuff for snuggling appear to be fine for them. I think if your piggies are used to a temperature under 70 they will do fine with 65.
Mine are used to it warmer so they might be too cold at 65. At the other end, probably low 80s is the max. If my place ever gets that warm again I am going to put on fans to circulate the air more (not having piggies in the draft of course.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.