Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds What does chirping sound like?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I think my guinea pig may be chirping. What does that sound like?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There are two types of chirping. One is a conversational type chirping and the other is the rare chirping that is very distinct. The rare chirping sounds like a high pitched bird and the pigs are in a trance while doing it.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
If he were chirping you would know it. It sounds just like the name indicates. When Lil' Fella chirped recently, i froze in the living room chair and my husband came running thinking a bird was trapped in the house.

It sounds just like a small singing bird.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Oh, alright. Then maybe it's more of a grunting, sort of a coo. It's hard to describe! She does it when I'm clipping her nails, which she hates. Could she be in pain or something? My head is spinning, I don't know what to do.

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
It certainly does sound like a bird chirping! My Puppy has chirped on a few occasions, but we also have two parakeets, so it's sometimes difficult to differentiate between them! When Puppy has chirped, it is typically a steady rhythm and volume.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Does it sound anything like a cat purr?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Does it sound anything like a cat purr?

No. It sounds like something is stuck in her throat, kind of. Also, her abdomen seemed a little sensitive, if that would help.

It sounded like she was saying "euhm."

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've had chirpers; only female. I have a video of one chirping but it was when I had guinea pig cages so I don't know if I can upload it. It sounded like a bird chirping. The second one sounded like a singing canary. It was very melodic; like a song. She chirped the first time at night. It was so loud, all of us woke up and couldn't figure out what it was. Once I came downstairs, she stopped. After that first time, she chirped a lot. I always suspected that it was a warning. When she'd chirp, the others would freeze. I could walk right up to her and she would keep chirping. Her mouth would be in sort of an O shape, but her mouth never moved. It looked like the sound was coming from her throat... it would vibrate as she chirped. It was a beautiful sound. I didn't have a videocamera so I never taped her.

scarlett

Cavy Slave
I found some chirping piggies on YouTube. Check there to hear what it sounds like

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks for posting that. I checked on there and that is exactly what I heard a couple of weeks ago. Now to figure out which one did it. I haven't heard it again though.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
My Lucy chirps on rare occasions. The first time she did it we swore a bird was in the house. There's no mistaking it once you hear it. It's a wild but lovely sound.

danielle715

Cavy Slave
One of my girls just chirped for the first time ever. We also thought a bird was at the window and were running to every room to find it. Linda has never done that before and it was loud. She stood there for a good 5 minutes before stopping. I am a little worried, i read on the forum pigs do it before a change like a cage mate passing away. I really hope that doesn't happen. I like to think she did it because she saw me walk in with a huge cast on my arm from surgery I had today on my wrist, and she was trying to chear me up. That might be the pain killers thinking for me but I like thinking that more that worrying something is going to happen to her cage mate.

dkottler

Cavy Slave
Well what does that sound mean? I recently heard mine doing it and it was so bird like! Is it a good sound or bad sound?

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
I have been woken a few times by my princess chirping. When she does it ,it always seems to be between 2am and 5am. Very loud pig and doesn't stop till you go into the room to her.. Ly you said the pig is in a trance while doing this. Do you know what happens to them or if if harmful ?

blondie

Cavy Slave
Hermione was chirping for the first time yesterday. I have had her over a year, almost two, and I am home all of the time and had never heard this. I was in "her" room assembling another c&c cage when she did it. I thought there was a bird right outside the window at first. She didn't appear to be scared and Jenny (her cagemate) was running around like crazy almost like she was excited, but she never did it back. This went on for a few minutes.

I was curious to see what it was so I checked Guinealynx and they have a recording of it called "Nina chirping" (none of the other recordings work). That confirmed it was what I heard. According to the site, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason why they do it. They will do it all hours of the day and night and in any mood. Some never do it. It amazed me to hear my piggy "sing" like that, but appearently it doesn't mean anything. I don't know for sure though. I am just telling you what guinealynx said.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Gizzy decided that 4am today was a good time to chirp! I managed to video record most of it but it was so dark and I thought she might stop if I put the light on so the video is pitch black but you hear her clear as day! As soon as I figure out how to get videos off my phone and onto Youtube I will load it! It was very surreal and it went on for nearly 20 minutes with stopping for a minute or 2 every few minutes. I am not sure if it went on longer but I woke up mid Chirping! Like I said it was 4am - what a way to wake up!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.