Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Oxbow Critical Care

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I was wondering where I can buy Oxbow Critical Care on-line WITHOUT the aid of Vet? Or better yet, what place can I actually go to and buy some? I would like to have some in case of emergencies.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I know there are a couple of places, but for the life of me, I can't remember right now. Rabbitsncavyluv will know.

SpacePig

Cavy Slave
I got mine from Amazon.com

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I got mine from Amazon.com

I can't find it on Amazon.com, probably because I'm in America. Could you provide the link anyway?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I know you don't want to have to go through a vet but does your vet sell it? If they are far away they may mail it to you. I know mine does.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Try (broken link removed)

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
My vet doesn't sell CC to you unless you pay her to see your sick pig. :(

Animals548

Cavy Slave
what exactly is this food? Is it alot better in nutrition?

msjbear

Cavy Slave
I tried looking one time to buy online, and the price our vet was giving us for it vs. the online store, was actually cheaper (when you factor in shipping and handling). I also can't remember what website I found though. I think I tried going to the actual OxBow website to see if they had stores they recommended, and I checked Amazon.

msjbear

Cavy Slave

The only time we give our pigs OxBow is if they are having digestive issues and are not eating properly. Our oldest pig has a sensitive digestive system, and if she gets stressed out, she will stop eating normal food, thus her poops begin getting soft. OxBow helps her immediately with these issues and actually helps her get her appetite back.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Its like a paste to hand feed a sick pig that won't eat or is losing a lot of weight.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
The only time we give our pigs OxBow is if they are having digestive issues and are not eating properly. Our oldest pig has a sensitive digestive system, and if she gets stressed out, she will stop eating normal food, thus her poops begin getting soft. OxBow helps her immediately with these issues and actually helps her get her appetite back.

Just to clarify this, Oxbow is a brand. They make pellets for daily feeding (Cavy Cuisine and Cavy Performance). They also make a paste that can be handfed to sick pigs that won't eat on their own (Critical Care).

msjbear

Cavy Slave
Just to clarify this, Oxbow is a brand. They make pellets for daily feeding (Cavy Cuisine and Cavy Performance). They also make a paste that can be handfed to sick pigs that won't eat on their own (Critical Care).

Thanks for clarifying, I thought it was pretty obvious what I was talking about, but you never know ;)

PiggiePaws

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of buying some just to have for emergencies also...but does it ever go bad? Can you freeze it like you do with pellets?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The ingredients like the vit c and probiotics do degrade over time. You can freeze it and use it up to a year after purchase.

You can get it through the little piggie marketplace as posted above.

I get mine at the vet's or kw cages (broken link removed)

Some rescues sell it online too:
(broken link removed)

Pet food direct and National Pet Pharmacy online sells it too.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I didn't want to start a new thread, and since it's related I'll ask it here:

Can I blend up some vegetables (like cilantro) into the Critical Care to make it more appealing?

msjbear

Cavy Slave

Can I blend up some vegetables (like cilantro) into the Critical Care to make it more appealing?

OxBow Critical Care comes in different flavors: regular, banana, and apple. Our pigs don't like the regular as much, but have really taken to banana and apple. And with OxBow Critical Care, you should only be giving it when it's really needed (losing weight, not eating, etc..). In these situations you make them eat it. We had our vet tech show us how to do it, since we were not all that confident with getting it in their mouths.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
OxBow Critical Care comes in different flavors: regular, banana, and apple. Our pigs don't like the regular as much, but have really taken to banana and apple. And with OxBow Critical Care, you should only be giving it when it's really needed (losing weight, not eating, etc..). In these situations you make them eat it. We had our vet tech show us how to do it, since we were not all that confident with getting it in their mouths.

I know that it comes in different flavors, but I actually couldn't wait to order some on-line. One of my pigs began to get sick Thursday night, which made me think that I should add the Critical Care to their first aid kit. I took him to the vet the next morning (Friday), and he has become anorexic, meaning I HAVE started to force feed him with a blend of their pellets and water. I was wondering if I could add some cilantro or part of a baby carrot to make it more appealing to him. I'll be starting another thread on the topic of his condition when I get more time, since it would take this thread too far off topic.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

Yes or you can add a little baby food (veggie flavors of course).

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can add any mashed veggie to it to make it more appealing. I kow some people put wheat grass in a blender and add to the mix.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.