Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Growing Timothy Grass

scarlett

Cavy Slave
Has anyone here every successfully grown their own timothy grass from seeds in containers? I am considering trying this as we treat our grass/lawn. I'd like to have some low, wide flats for my pigs to be able to forage in on my deck, in a pen of course.

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
Yes,

I'm doing it now... have 12 pots :D!!

This one is Easigrow,
003-1.jpg

Also growing some timothy... but no pictures!

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
You can grow timothy in pots? I wanted to grow wheat grass in large 3x3 foot pots, but if you can do that with timothy, i'd forget the wheat, unless it's just for kitty...

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
You can grow timothy in pots? I wanted to grow wheat grass in large 3x3 foot pots, but if you can do that with timothy, i'd forget the wheat, unless it's just for kitty...

I just bought the seeds and planted them, I have had success... it takes alot longer than the Easigrow too grow though(Well mine does).

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
How long does it take?

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
How long does it take?

Ages... and ages :sad:,

I'm on 2 weeks so far and it's really kinda pathetic. but it is growing took ages for it to start though.

The Easigrow, you can harvest in 14 days, which is why I like it, but I do like to give variety, I also grow dandelions for them.

I have my seeds purchased for spring to plant some herbs etc..

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I'll look into growing some very soon. When does Spring start in USA? I can start planting from late winter, I guess, because it's not cold here in Florida. It gets up to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

lulubird6

Cavy Slave
I was just researching this. I haven't seen anyone try to grow Timothy, but I did find some info on growing wheatgrass.

Here is a good link with the ability to grow both in soil and on newspapers. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to get some seed to grow in those clear plastic containers on newspaper. I envision the boys grazing on their little mini-wheat field. Don't know how realistic that's going to be but with just getting another 2 inches of snow last night, seems like the only way my boys are going to get any kind of forage.

Growing Wheat Grass

Anyway, hope that helps!

scarlett

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the responses guys! I have already purchased timothy grass seeds - yet to receive them. I, too envision my boys grazing is green splendor! LOL. I have not heard of the wheat grass and plan to investigate today. Knowing me, I'll end up buying those seeds too.....

I'll post photos of my project when I get things rolling. I already have a few of those clear, under bed plastic storage bins, and bags of potting soil. Of course, the potting soil bags are currently buried under snow on my driveway. LOL

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure when spring starts in the states I'm in the uk and can grow grass indoors all year round...

Timothy grass...

3 weeks on...

002-1.jpg

Easigrow
001.jpg

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
Spring in the US usually starts at the end of March and early April so you can start growing wheatgrass indoors basically in mid-March and then move it outside after 4-6 weeks to get some real sunshine in around mid-April. I prefer to grow it in my basement because it's nice and cool downstairs but it's not freezing and my plants seem to grow fairly fast:)

vickyangel3

Cavy Slave
Ahh well I bought the seeds to, hopefully going to plant them this weekend so I shall see what happens!

scarlett

Cavy Slave
I have my timothy seeds but have yet to plant them. I did however, start a small square container of the wheat grass. I hope to let my boys enjoy some soon!

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
Oee yes, I am also definitely going to plant my piggie some wheatgrass. It's been so long since I've planted the lawn grass in a pot for him (they actually have the lawn grass seed boxes for $1 at Deal$ or Dollar Tree, if anyone is near one) and it'll be nice for him to try some other varieties of grass. I also bought cat grass seeds yesterday so I plan to plant those as well...

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
Btw, where did you guys buy your timothy grass seeds? Now that I have lawn grass growing in one pot (I don't have a lawn at home as I live in the city) and wheatgrass growing in another, I would to like to try my hand at growing timothy grass. I also ordered orchard grass seeds and bluegrass seeds from a website the other day. It was so cheap and the shipping rate was flat rate so I think I got a pretty good deal lol.

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
Nevermind, I found it on a website for a pretty good price at a pound of seeds. A pound of seeds I'm guessing is a LOT of timothy grass. Can't wait to get my order of bluegrass and orchard seeds and then grow, grow, grow to my piggie's heart's content!

Sekhmet

Cavy Slave
I think you guys turned me into a monster! You guys just gave me a brand new hobby to do. Now I'm going to do some remodeling of the cage and possibly replace the carefresh bedding with green grass instead! I will think up of something soon! :)

Does the grass require direct sunlight or can it survive by regular household lights?

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure that grass will be able to survive by artificial/house lights. I planted lawn seed in a cut bottle and left it in the basement where it didn't really get that much sunlight. When I went back down a week later, I saw that it had grown at least 7-8 inches.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Now I'm going to do some remodeling of the cage and possibly replace the carefresh bedding with green grass instead!
I wouldn't do that.

victoria07

Cavy Slave
Hurleyslave do ya mind sharing this website? :) after reading this I think I'm going to start growing too! Haha seems fun.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.