Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Green poop?

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
My older Guinea Pig, at 3 years, has started to have green, hard poop. It started off as Golden Brown and hard so we thought maybe just something was going through her.
But its turned green now and we think she's on her last stretch of life. Any tips?

And just to warn you, we don't have any small animal vets around. Our closest vet is probably about 3-4 hours away.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It's hard? Soft green poops are usually cecal poops that the piggies typically ingest straight from their behind.

With it being hard thats a little weird, unless it's dry because it's days old. Are you making sure they get enough water? Are they getting veggies daily? What low qualilty pellets are you feeding now? Do they have unlimited hay?

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
It's hard? Soft green poops are usually cecal poops that the piggies typically ingest straight from their behind.

With it being hard thats a little weird, unless it's dry because it's days old. Are you making sure they get enough water? Are they getting veggies daily? What low qualilty pellets are you feeding now? Do they have unlimited hay?
Yes its hard.
She is drinking and eating like normal, hasn't lost any weight. She does get a lot of hay(She begs for it 24/7).
I feed them Wild Harvest from Walmart. That's the only kind they will seriously eat. I tried pellets once. Their bowl wasn't even half empty. They will only eat. And there is corn but due to my understandings, they won't even touch the corn.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
But its turned green now and we think she's on her last stretch of life. Any tips?
She's three years old? Guinea pigs, cared for properly, can be expected to live 5-7 or even more years, so please don't write this poor thing off just yet. I can't imagine this is anything a qualified veterinarian can't help you to resolve.

And just to warn you, we don't have any small animal vets around. Our closest vet is probably about 3-4 hours away.
I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of bull. You have this animal and you are obligated to care for her for the duration of her life and not simply resign yourself to the fact that a middle aged animal is "on her last stretch of life" because you won't or can't be bothered to find her a vet. If you have to drive 3-4 hours to find a qualified vet, that's just what you have to do. She didn't ask you to be her caretaker, you chose that, so you should do everything you can to care for her properly, and that means qualified veterinary care when it's called for. You need to work to convince your parents of this notion as well, and PLEASE, whatever you do, don't get another guinea pig if this is really the tack you're going with on proper care.

What else do you feed her besides hay?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Wild Harvest and anything from Wal-Mart in terms of guinea pig food is bad. I still can't figure out why you change from one crappy brand of food to another. Cavies need a high quality plain pellet, not some cheap low quality mix. Mixes cause obesity, are choking hazards and don't provide adequate nutrition.

Just because your pigs poo is a different color does not mean she is about to die.

You didn't answer the question about veggies. Are you feeding veggies? If so, please post a list of everything you've given her in the last 3-4 days.

Poo will get hard and dry out as it sits. Maybe you are just seeing old poo's in the cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You really need to switch to better diet. They will eventually eat the better brand. They will be ok without eating pellets for a couple days until they are used to the good brands. Quite frankly, I don't think you've tried to good brands. When I switched from kaytee to oxbow, they immediately love it. Even better when I switched from oxbow to km.

Are you feeding veggies?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
That poor guinea pig. And the new one you just bought from a pet store.

More excuses. Surprise. Surprise.

Find a cavy vet and seriously get your pigs' diet right. They will likely go early if you keep up your poor care.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
This isn't about green poop but it is so close to the subject I thought I might ask. Is it normal to get some poop out of your piggies cage that is part brown and part tan? Since she said hers started off golden brown it made me think of this.

My piggies diet just changed (for the better) and I am writing it off to that since I know she is eating well and drinking lots of water. Or is my guinea pig on the track to green poop also. :X

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
That poor guinea pig. And the new one you just bought from a pet store.

She just bought a new one? Are you serious, she can't even take care of the two she had.

These poor guinea pigs, all these threads started by ILuvePiggies are absolutely horriffic. Everything from I can't remember to feed them veggies, to I give them water when I notice the bottle is empty. The moldy cozy because she didn't realize to WASH it!

ILuvePiggies, are you for real?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
My piggies diet just changed (for the better) and I am writing it off to that since I know she is eating well and drinking lots of water. Or is my guinea pig on the track to green poop also. :X

The poops will turn to a dark color, the green poops are called cecal poops that they typically eat straight out of their behind to help replenish the good bacteria. Everything you are experiencing is most likely normal as the person who started this thread doesn't even give them a half way decent diet.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Green poop can also happen if the good intestinal bacteria are killed off (in humans and in animals). Has this pig been on anti biotics recently or any medications of any kind?

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Thanks Peggysu!

I am guessing the thread starter is really young. I was a big excuses person when I was in middle school or high school even. When I got to college I realized excuses didn't really do anything for you. Hopefully she will realize that people see through excuses better than she may think and that deep inside excuses don't clear your conscience.

Animals big or small require the same respect. Honestly, I think dogs and cats are a LOT easier to take care of than guinea pigs but people think since they are small they are easier pets. Use common sense and treat your pet with respect and you should be fine. Respect does however include finding it a vet if it would need it or feeding it a good balanced diet if needed. You don't forget to feed yourself, or give yourself the proper nutrition, give your piggy the same respect. Think of them as little babies. When people do things with their babies that aren't responsible they are taken away. If you can't provide for your guinea pig responsibly you shouldn't have one. Hopefully, however, Iluvepiggies is going to TAKE the advice from this website and APPLY it for the better instead of make excuses. Sometimes for younger people this is hard to do at first. Since she has two guinea pigs already I hope this happens.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yep, she posted at gl that she bought a 4 week old baby from a pet store last month (with the disclaimer that she didn't want any grief from buying the pig), and wanted info on how to introduce them.

So the poor baby is being fed crap and probably in a too small cage.

Iluvpiggies - please, please rehome your guinea pigs. I'd take them if I were closer. They need a better home that will care for them properly. You are not. How many of us need to tell you that before you get it?

She just bought a new one? Are you serious, she can't even take care of the two she had.

These poor guinea pigs, all these threads started by ILuvePiggies are absolutely horriffic. Everything from I can't remember to feed them veggies, to I give them water when I notice the bottle is empty. The moldy cozy because she didn't realize to WASH it!

ILuvePiggies, are you for real?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately we have been giving her advice for almost a year but she has yet to take any of it.

Unless you count the 8 months it took for her to build a C&C cage. Waiting 8 months to treat a sick pig won't work though.

If you can't provide for your guinea pig responsibly you shouldn't have one. Hopefully, however, Iluvepiggies is going to TAKE the advice from this website and APPLY it for the better instead of make excuses. Sometimes for younger people this is hard to do at first. Since she has two guinea pigs already I hope this happens.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I haven't been on guinealynx in a while. I'm glad I didn't see that thread then.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
ILuvPiggies - why are you even bothering to ask? It's not like you are going to do anything about it even if we tell you exactly what is wrong.

If it's the food - you will keep feeding the same crap
If it's the lack of veggies - you still won't feed them
If it's seriously ill - you won't take it to a vet

You obviously do not care about your animals. You are here for attention and pity. You don't seem to care that the only attention you get is negative and no one is going to pity you. You neglect your animals to the point of abuse.

STOP!

Stop getting animals. Stop neglecting the ones you have. Stop asking for help when you will not follow it anyway.

I am thinking you need to be placed on moderated posts to save the rest of the board from your self induced drama.

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
I am thinking you need to be placed on moderated posts to save the rest of the board from your self induced drama.

That's the smartest post in this thread!

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
I don't doubt it. I just figured I would say that and put my part it. Unfortunately I doubt she will listen to a message board and give up her guinea pigs as it seems she should do unless she shapes up and takes the responsibility. Especially since she doesn't take any of the advice here in the first place.

At least you guys can feel good that she built a c&c cage though, despite how long it took her.

I understand what you are saying, I don't cut her any slack, but she has to at some point realize you can't pick and choose to do what is right when it is convenient. You either do what is right or you don't take on the responsibility. I thought maybe calling her on, what she has to know is the case, whether she is in denial or not, might make some kind of impact on her. Making excuses about not being able to give proper pet care is selfish which I am sure she doesn't WANT to be. But that just means she has to take advice and DO something to fix the problem. Otherwise she is being selfish and immature. Selfish and immature people should not be in charge of anythings health and well being. She needs to decide what she is capable of realistically, not what she wishes she were capable of. It took me a long time to decide if I was even capable of owning any pet again and I'm an adult, granted a young one but an adult all the same. I knew I wished I could say for sure daily cage cleaning was possible but I had to actually think out whether it was realistic that I would be dedicated to actually DOING it. There is a difference. I hope she realized that good intentions mean nothing unless they are followed through with.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
3-4 hours isn't long to the vet. We've been to and from Miami and to and from Orlando Orlando with no problem at all. You can spend less than 30 USD (it takes us about 10 to and from Miami) traveling both to and from by train, and yes, many trains accept small animals. You could also find an awesome friend who would drive you, and you give them gas money.

If you're not willing to take care of your pet (ie medical care, proper nutrition...) then your pet may not live it's life to the fullest. I sugar-coated that greatly. :eek:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
VJ, I'd beg you to put Iluvpiggies on moderated posts, except that would just make it worse on all you mods, and you don't deserve that. She's starting the same &%$* over on Guinea Lynx, and it's just more of the same. Too bad there's no magic wand to whisk those poor pigs out of there to a more humane and loving home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.