Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Cleaning anal sacs and grease glands

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm so confused! I've been reading and re-reading old threads on these topics, as well as the Guinea Lynx site and still don't really get it. Maybe I just need an in-depth anatomy lesson.

So, as far as the grease gland...from what I gather it's just a matter of doing a surface wash to that area? There's not an actual cavity that I have to get into to clean out, right?

With the anal sac cleaning *gulp*. My boys do not like me poking around that area so I can't say I've had an in-depth look down there. I've been looking at the pictures on Guinea Lynx: https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html
In the picture in the "anatomy lesson" section, is it the top hole or the bottom hole I'm supposed to clean out? I feel so stupid asking this and I've read it over and over and I'm just not getting it.

Other questions:
*Do we do anal cleaning weekly whether or not they are impacted?
*Is there a certain age it should be started?
*Advice on how to hold them during this procedure? I doubt that I'll be able to get my husband to help me.
*Is it best to get mineral oil or gape seed oil? I read that mineral oil can be used for anal cleaning, scent gland cleaning, and ear cleaning. Can the grape seed oil be used for all three also? Which do you prefer?

Thanks for any help!!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
So, as far as the grease gland...from what I gather it's just a matter of doing a surface wash to that area? There's not an actual cavity that I have to get into to clean out, right?
Right.

In the picture in the "anatomy lesson" section, is it the top hole or the bottom hole I'm supposed to clean out?
I don't honestly think that's the best picture - so I understand your confusion. However, if you look at https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htmthe adult male photos from Cavy Spirit's sexing page, it's the second "hole." The one up top isn't actually a hole, but the penis.

*Do we do anal cleaning weekly whether or not they are impacted?
It might not be necessary every week if they aren't impacted, but it's a good routine to get them into, so that if they ever are impacted, they are somewhat used to the experience.

*Is there a certain age it should be started?
Not necessarily, but probably around a year or so would be a good age.

*Advice on how to hold them during this procedure? I doubt that I'll be able to get my husband to help me.
I stand them up on their hind legs, backs to my stomach, hold them up against me. I've never needed any help for this.

*Is it best to get mineral oil or gape seed oil? I read that mineral oil can be used for anal cleaning, scent gland cleaning, and ear cleaning. Can the grape seed oil be used for all three also? Which do you prefer?
My preference is mineral oil, and it can be used for all three. I'm not a big grapeseed oil fan, because it's thought to go rancid very quickly - which I know can be remedied by storing it in the fridge, but I'm not too keen on using cold oil on my pigs, so I just stick with the mineral oil.

Good luck! It's not as scary as it seems once you get the hang of it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are some new videos over at Guinea Lynx on cleaning anal sacs. Take a look here.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
I was going to suggest the same thread on Guinea Lynx that bp was suggesting it has a good video on page 6. It is a interesting, funny (I got a few laughs from it), thread to read if you are interested.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.