Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pine Cones/Apple Tree Branches

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
I have seen various info on these and I need things cleared up. Apple tree branches from my own untreated apple tree are okay to give fresh off the tree? After sterilizing pinecones, again from my own untreated tree, I can give these as toys? Just trying to find some different free toys for my piggies!

MissMonkey

Cavy Slave
The apple branches are fine, just snap them of then give them a rinse, gp's love to chew them. I dont know about the pinecones though so I wont say anything as I dont want to give the wrong advice :)

snickers

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pig Toys and Play

Pine cones don't have the pine bedding risk, but they should be sterilized first. Bake first to sterilize at approximately 200° for 20-30 minutes on foil to catch any sap drippings. These might be a favorite.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pine cones need to be baked before giving. Apple branches can be given straight from the tree provided you rinse them off and the tree has not been treated with any pesticides or fertilizers. You can bake the apple branches too if you wish.

Please do not bump threads. It's not allowed here. Just be patient and someone will answer your questions. Just keep in mind that sometimes it may take up to a day or two to get an answer.

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. Sorry about the bumping Ly...won't happen again. :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I've tried pine cones with my pigs, and they won't touch them. As far as apple twigs, they only like them when they are fresh. Once they dry out they ignore them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.