Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cardboard in the cage?

Green Beans

Cavy Slave
I see a lot of pictures in gallery showing cardboard boxes in the piggies cage (kleenex boxes, food boxes fromt the grocery store, etc.) I worry about the piggies chewing on them because of the glues used to hold them together. Do they chew on cardboard? And is it really safe???

Porky's Mom

Cavy Slave
To be honest, my pigs like cardboard houses more than most of the other things they have (pigloos, tunnels, hay houses, etc.) They do chew them a bit but only around the edge I cut for a door. I pull off any visible tape or plastic, obviously. We haven't had a problem with it! I cut the bottom off and cut 2 doors so they can go through it and not pee in it.

Also 12 pack pop boxes are a big hit with my pigs for floor time since they can run through them.

distancel

Cavy Slave
My pigs don't really chew on their cardboard tunnels or hideys at all. I have wooden hideys and toys for them that they would rather gnaw on. OH and their favourite thing to gnaw on is the bars of the cube walls. Bad piggers.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
My boy Slick devours cardboard! Chubes, boxes-you name it. I just make sure that the box hasn't contained anything dangerous for piggies. He's about 5 yrs old and still no problems from his "habit".

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
My lil guy has a Kleenex box hay rack. the edges of the opening are a little worse for wear, but he loves it and hasn't really ever chewed enough to break it. He has a plastic castle hidey house that he chews on, which concerns me much more. i am thinking of replacing it with a wooden one to make chewing more safe.

snickers

Cavy Slave
Cardboard is fine as long as they chew a little bit. It could possibly cause blockage if eating in big chunks.
My pigs love tissue boxes and paper towel rolls. If you use paper towel roll just make sure to cut them straight down the middle as some pigs like to put there heads in the hole especially babies, you can also fill them up with hay.

Green Beans

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! I guess we'll put a kleenex box and a paper towel roll (cut open) and let them have a field day with it.

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
We use toliet paper rolls a lot, and stuff it full of cliantro or parsley or hay. They love it! Gives them something to play with as well as getting some of their veggies. Our pigs do eat the cardboard, but it takes them quite some time to nibble a roll completely.

kavykeeper

Cavy Slave
I see a lot of pictures in gallery showing cardboard boxes in the piggies cage (kleenex boxes, food boxes fromt the grocery store, etc.) I worry about the piggies chewing on them because of the glues used to hold them together. Do they chew on cardboard? And is it really safe???

Don't offer them any boxes that have colored ink on it as the ink can have toxic chemicals. That includes newspaper. Never give them corrugated cardboard as it can contain ground glass. Toilet paper holders are fine as long as they are cut lengthwise so they don't get their heads stuck in them.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Don't offer them any boxes that have colored ink on it as the ink can have toxic chemicals. That includes newspaper. Never give them corrugated cardboard as it can contain ground glass. Toilet paper holders are fine as long as they are cut lengthwise so they don't get their heads stuck in them.

I understood that newspapers use soy-based ink that is non-toxic. Also, it is hard to believe that corrugated cardboard contains ground glass--that would really mess up the the process of making it out of paper pulp. Kavykeeper, where is your info from?

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mekat

Cavy Slave
A few years back I used to own rabbits and I never had problems giving cardboard to animals. The only thing is you have to be vigilant and remove it if they mess on it to keep their environment clean. Just use common sense, inspect the cardboard to make sure there is nothing visible that might harm your animals. The only thing that comes to mind as problematic is some of the boxes kids toys come in because they use a lot of twist ties and tiny plastic inserts or boxes that were used to store chemicals in. I would avoid these if possible.

kavykeeper

Cavy Slave
I understood that newspapers use soy-based ink that is non-toxic. Also, it is hard to believe that corrugated cardboard contains ground glass--that would really mess up the the process of making it out of paper pulp. Kavykeeper, where is your info from?

A woman who is a member of our guinea pig rescue worked for a company that manufactured cardboard. She posted a comment on our forum. I attached her comment:
"I know I've said this before to the group, but I haven't said it in a while
>so I'll say it again. Cardboard boxes are not good for them....especially
>the heavier duty boxes, i.e. corrugated boxes. Corrugated boxes are the
>boxes that have the wavy medium between two flat liner panels. I used to
>work at a box company and believe me, you wouldn't want your little
>critters chewing or eating that stuff. It can contain all sorts of things
>like glass or metal shards, sand, dirt, etc. To make the wavy paper, the
>medium has to go through corrugating rolls. The junk in the paper actually
>wears down these steel and chrome rolls in a matter of 3 months if they're
>run constantly. The glue that they use to stick those boxes together is
>also dangerous. It's made out of starch that contains a good amount of
>bacteria. I would use extreme caution when using boxes since it's a box
>maker's job to make a box, not worry if the box is clean enough for pet
>use. Just FYI."

kavykeeper

Cavy Slave

I was under the impression that the shiny ads and magazines that often are included with newpapers may have petroleum inks used in the printing process so I've removed any of the paper that were in color as to not pose a risk to my guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.