Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Rabbits vs. Guinea Pigs...comparing the two pets

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking about adopting a rabbit or a bonded pair. I've wanted a rabbit for as long as I can remember, but a lot of people tell me that rabbits are really hard work and so now I'm not so sure.

For those who have had guinea pigs and rabbits, how do the two compare as far as time commitment, cost, etc. go? Which pet do you recommend more?

If you've had rabbits, can you tell me about your experiences? What did you enjoy about your rabbits and what didn't you like? Do you recommend rabbits as pets, or not?

For someone who's never owned a rabbit and is unsure if it's the right decision, what can you suggest or tell me? :confused:

lissie

Cavy Slave
There has been many people who asked this question. You will find your answer if you do a forum search.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They are high maintenance, smart and destructive. I'd hate to be without pet rabbits ever but they are a handful and a category in their own.

Most people stick them in outdoor hutches but they are really house pets.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

hannah101

Cavy Slave
I have 5 piggies and 2 rabbits, all are in my flat.

Main difference are that my rabbits are more confident, cheeky, very naughty! If they want you attention they will dig at your feet or make lots of noise!

Rabbits are far more expensive because they need 3 vaccinations a year, more chew toys and I find eat more hay.

I would say my rabbits are far more independant, they are not cuddly and like to do their own thing.

Bonding piggies is far easier than bonding rabbits! If possible get a reputable rescue to bond your bunnies for you or get an existing pair.

Neutering is crucial to rabbit health and unlike piggies it considerably alters their behaviour (for the better!):)

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
I never had rabbits but guinea pigs are my favourite pets so far!

Rodneysmom

Cavy Slave
Im also very curious about rabbits. Do they get along with gps when the gps get floor time? Do they get along with other pets? Where I live now there is 2 cats but we are moving soon but plan on getting a dog.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I thought you were going to foster a rabbit, SD, but your parents wouldn't let you foster.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Do they get along with gps when the gps get floor time? Do they get along with other pets?

From the research I've done, I know that guinea pigs shouldn't live with rabbits, because their strong hind legs can easily kill a guinea pig. Also, they have different pellets that shouldn't be shared. I think that rabbits can have some veggies that guinea pigs can't. So it's not recommended at all that you keep them together.

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk a GP getting severly injured or killed from a rabbit's kick during exercise time. I think rabbits can get along with dogs or cats, and some buns can be kept as free run in an area of the home and can peacefully coexist. See these links: When Fido Met Thumper (Dogs and Rabbits)
Cats and Rabbits

I thought you were going to foster a rabbit, SD, but your parents wouldn't let you foster.

I asked this questions before I talked to you about fostering and their against-it-ness.

I don't know what their stance on the argument is now, but I'll ask them again soon. (maybe)

Rodneysmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the info. I would never house them together but I thought it would be night to have free time together, O well if I do get a rabbit it just put Rodney in a playpen and they can just smell each other.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Im also very curious about rabbits. Do they get along with gps when the gps get floor time? Do they get along with other pets? Where I live now there is 2 cats but we are moving soon but plan on getting a dog.

Don't mix guinea pigs with rabbits because rabbits can kick them. I've heard that people have introduced them but I wouldn't risk it.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
For those who have had guinea pigs and rabbits, how do the two compare as far as time commitment, cost, etc. go? Which pet do you recommend more?

Rabbits surely cost more, but you take less time to clean the cage and so on because, according to what I've experienced, they are cleaner. They take lots of time and floor time as well. They are as active and curious as cats and dogs.

If you've had rabbits, can you tell me about your experiences? What did you enjoy about your rabbits and what didn't you like? Do you recommend rabbits as pets, or not?

What I enjoy the most is that they have such and incredible way to express their feelings and emotions. They are like little kids. What I don't like is to teach them not to chew the whole house, including my clothes, hair and bedspread. i also do not like the scratches and the million time they've bitten me when they were not still used to people.
They make excellent pets, but you have to make sure you have:
1 - enough money
2 - enough room
3 -enough time
4 - a good vet
5 - LOTS of patience in the beginning.

If you have all of those, go for it.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Alot of people keep their rabbits as free range, or one room rabbits.I SO wish I could do that! But sadly, I have to many conflicts with that, the main ones being that they aren't bonded, and I have cats. But they have such cute personalities (all rabbits do) that I would love to have them following me around the house all day!

And your cats definitely won't get along with the rabbits? My cats just love them! They sleep and play together. It's funny to see how different pets may be.
But I definitely agree, if possible, get a bonded pair, or do lots of "dates" between the rabbits before you adopt them. It will help you decide if they like each other.
Leyley, don't lose hope, keep on trying to bond those cute little shorties you have.

hannah101

Cavy Slave
Rabbits and piggies should not ever be allowed to share the same bowls or fleeces. They pass disease to eachother. Having them living together is completely wrong and is due to pet shops needing the space and putting them together - hence people think they are suppose to be together.

Rabbits are wonderful animals. Very intelligent and determind. They are very much like wild rabbits, they love to frolic, dig and play. Confining a rabbit to a hutch or small space is cruel, it destroys their ability to act naturally.

On a health note, they have strong muscles and a very weak skeletal structure. Therefore, if they kick out they can easily break their own backs so please be careful handling them!

Bonding rabbits is very difficult sometimes. Female and male pairings work best, both should be neutered for a good month before even attempting bonding. My doe was very aggressive to my rescue buck - I put him in a dog crate and they lived side by side for 2 weeks. Then we introduced them in a neutral territory and they were fine. It's the smell that is the trouble, they need to get used to this.

Vaccinations and spaying are the most expensive things. £20 per injection (3 per year) and spay/neuter can cost up to £120. Best to get rescued neutered, bonded pairs!
Also, pet insurance is a must. For £9 a month it's so worth it! :)

hannah101

Cavy Slave

They shouldn't mix with other rodents. However, often people have mixed them with cats and dogs successfully. Depends on their character. Dogs should never be left unattended with rabbits though, their natural instincts can kick in when you least expect it.

Raising rabbits with kittens and puppies is definately easier. However, dogs like greyhounds, sausage dogs, terriers and other dogs that hunt rabbits/rats are often no good around rabbits. They need the company of their own kind first and for most.

hannah101

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the info. I would never house them together but I thought it would be night to have free time together, O well if I do get a rabbit it just put Rodney in a playpen and they can just smell each other.

I wouldn't put them anywhere near eachother, contact through the bars can spread disease. Get your rabbit a friend of its own - the interaction is beautiful to watch. A human friend can never fully replicate a rabbit/rabbit relationship. :love:

magicaldreamr89

Cavy Slave
I currently have 3 rabbits and 4 guinea pigs. I've noticed rabbits are more independant and guineas will beg (squeak). If you wanna cuddle and hold them id go with cavy because rabbit hate to be picked up and cavies don't mind to much. Guinea Pigs cage start to smell before Rabbits. Rabbits kick shavings everywhere. But Rabbits are so cute and cuddly. I've got two lionheads and a rex. And 2 Americans and 2 Abbies.

itoshiixhito

Cavy Slave
I find it a little surprising that a lot of people wouldn't house them together.

When I was younger, Thumper (rabbit) and G.P. (piggy) lived together for years and were the best of friends.

As a matter of fact, when G.P. passed away, Thumper got really depressed and withdrawn. I ended up getting her another piggy friend to keep her company.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I find it a little surprising that a lot of people wouldn't house them together.

When I was younger, Thumper (rabbit) and G.P. (piggy) lived together for years and were the best of friends.

As a matter of fact, when G.P. passed away, Thumper got really depressed and withdrawn. I ended up getting her another piggy friend to keep her company.

I know that there are people that do house them together but that doesn't mean that it's right, safe or healthy. This has been discussed numerous of times on here and on other forums I'm a member of and the majority agree that they should not be housed together. Even though the bunny may love the piggie, they do get jumpy and can accidently injure &/or kill the piggie. There's also a bacteria or virus that the buns can carry that is very dangerous to the piggie. (I think it's pasturella but I'm not 100% sure that's the name of it.) Also, pellets are different for each. They both get the same types of hay and most veggies, but the pellets are formulated for each specific species. Therefore, most responsible owners will separate the two.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

As JennG said, they have different dietary needs. Also, rabbits can jump or kick and accidentally injure (sometimes fatally) a guinea pig.

They may be "best of friends" but they shouldn't be housed together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.