Thanks
    Thanks
    518 Rec'd/310 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Question Rabbits vs. Guinea Pigs...comparing the two pets

I'm thinking about adopting a rabbit or a bonded pair. I've wanted a rabbit for as long as I can remember, but a lot of people tell me that rabbits are really hard work and so now I'm not so sure.

For those who have had guinea pigs and rabbits, how do the two compare as far as time commitment, cost, etc. go? Which pet do you recommend more?

If you've had rabbits, can you tell me about your experiences? What did you enjoy about your rabbits and what didn't you like? Do you recommend rabbits as pets, or not?

For someone who's never owned a rabbit and is unsure if it's the right decision, what can you suggest or tell me?

2. "Thank you, sdpiggylvr, for this useful post," says:

xoLauraox09 (01-22-10)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,931 Rec'd/1,382 Posts
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Quoted
    742 Post(s)

Re: Rabbits vs. Guinea Pigs...comparing the two pets

There has been many people who asked this question. You will find your answer if you do a forum search.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,142 Rec'd/633 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They are high maintenance, smart and destructive. I'd hate to be without pet rabbits ever but they are a handful and a category in their own.

Most people stick them in outdoor hutches but they are really house pets.

5. "Thank you, rabbitsncavyluv, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

bunnyguinea21 (06-12-10), Catayn (02-20-10), SnowPrincess (03-31-10)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    127 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I LOVE rabbits! But, to me, guinea pigs seem like a lot of work. I guess this is sort of opposite of 'the grass is always greener' type thing! I've never had a guinea pig though, so its just based off of what I've read here. I wouldn't say they are difficult to take care of. But, as you probably have heard, SPAY SPAY SPAY. 80% of unspayed females WILL get uterine cancer, which is most of the time fatal, and a painful way to go out. Neutering will also elminate hormones, which makes a big difference unlike in guinea pigs. I've heard of this costing up to even 200 dollars, but it only cost me $45 to get one of my boys fixed!

All size rabbits need about the same amount of space for a cage, because the smaller, the more hyper they are. Larger rabbits tend to like lap time better than dwarves. And dwarves tend to like floor time more than larger rabbits. But, I tend to disagree ith the 'dwarves aren't cuddlers' simply from persnal experience. If they are tired, they will cuddle. They are most active at dawn and dusk. And my rabbits seem to have figured out that when they drink frm there water bottles loudly, and make a racket at 2 am, it means mommy is going to come open the cage and try and get them to stop... aka 'attention'.So I would say they are very smart!

Alot of people keep their rabbits as free range, or one room rabbits.I SO wish I could do that! But sadly, I have to many conflicts with that, the main ones being that they aren't bonded, and I have cats. But they have such cute personalities (all rabbits do) that I would love to have them following me around the house all day!

They do produce there own C, so the veggies can be fed less often and some aren't needed exept for treats that are needed more often for gpigs.

Bonding either goes great or terribly. While it usually works, when it doesn't, it is absolutley miserable. For me and my unbonded rabbits, floor time is difficult, transporting is dificlt, caging is difficult, everythig is just harder to do. So I definitely suggset adopting an already bonded pair! I don' suggest getting just one, believe it or not,even though my rabbits fight, when they see each other through the cage bars, they instantly light up! The reason they fight, isn't becuae they necessarily dislike eachother, but because they try to get the other to groom them and they both refuse, which frustrates them. One day, it is possible that they might get along. Cross your fingers for me!

If you need any more specific details, jut ask. I could sit here ad type about rabbits all day! You won't regret getting rabbits! I promise!

Hope I helped!

edit: Oh yeah, they chew.... to say least. But I think litter box training makes up for that!

7. "Thank you, leyley904, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Catayn (02-20-10), sdpiggylvr (12-24-09)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 5 piggies and 2 rabbits, all are in my flat.

Main difference are that my rabbits are more confident, cheeky, very naughty! If they want you attention they will dig at your feet or make lots of noise!

Rabbits are far more expensive because they need 3 vaccinations a year, more chew toys and I find eat more hay.

I would say my rabbits are far more independant, they are not cuddly and like to do their own thing.

Bonding piggies is far easier than bonding rabbits! If possible get a reputable rescue to bond your bunnies for you or get an existing pair.

Neutering is crucial to rabbit health and unlike piggies it considerably alters their behaviour (for the better!)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I never had rabbits but guinea pigs are my favourite pets so far!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im also very curious about rabbits. Do they get along with gps when the gps get floor time? Do they get along with other pets? Where I live now there is 2 cats but we are moving soon but plan on getting a dog.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/43 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought you were going to foster a rabbit, SD, but your parents wouldn't let you foster.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    518 Rec'd/310 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneysmom View Post
    Do they get along with gps when the gps get floor time? Do they get along with other pets?
    From the research I've done, I know that guinea pigs shouldn't live with rabbits, because their strong hind legs can easily kill a guinea pig. Also, they have different pellets that shouldn't be shared. I think that rabbits can have some veggies that guinea pigs can't. So it's not recommended at all that you keep them together.

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk a GP getting severly injured or killed from a rabbit's kick during exercise time. I think rabbits can get along with dogs or cats, and some buns can be kept as free run in an area of the home and can peacefully coexist. See these links: When Fido Met Thumper (Dogs and Rabbits)
    Cats and Rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by Kipsie View Post
    I thought you were going to foster a rabbit, SD, but your parents wouldn't let you foster.
    I asked this questions before I talked to you about fostering and their against-it-ness.

I don't know what their stance on the argument is now, but I'll ask them again soon. (maybe)

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much for the info. I would never house them together but I thought it would be night to have free time together, O well if I do get a rabbit it just put Rodney in a playpen and they can just smell each other.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Unincorporated Carol Stream, Illinois, United States
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,962 Rec'd/1,565 Posts
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

Im also very curious about rabbits. Do they get along with gps when the gps get floor time? Do they get along with other pets? Where I live now there is 2 cats but we are moving soon but plan on getting a dog.
    Don't mix guinea pigs with rabbits because rabbits can kick them. I've heard that people have introduced them but I wouldn't risk it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

For those who have had guinea pigs and rabbits, how do the two compare as far as time commitment, cost, etc. go? Which pet do you recommend more?

Rabbits surely cost more, but you take less time to clean the cage and so on because, according to what I've experienced, they are cleaner. They take lots of time and floor time as well. They are as active and curious as cats and dogs.

If you've had rabbits, can you tell me about your experiences? What did you enjoy about your rabbits and what didn't you like? Do you recommend rabbits as pets, or not?

What I enjoy the most is that they have such and incredible way to express their feelings and emotions. They are like little kids. What I don't like is to teach them not to chew the whole house, including my clothes, hair and bedspread. i also do not like the scratches and the million time they've bitten me when they were not still used to people.
    They make excellent pets, but you have to make sure you have:
    1 - enough money
    2 - enough room
    3 -enough time
    4 - a good vet
    5 - LOTS of patience in the beginning.

If you have all of those, go for it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leyley904 View Post
    Alot of people keep their rabbits as free range, or one room rabbits.I SO wish I could do that! But sadly, I have to many conflicts with that, the main ones being that they aren't bonded, and I have cats. But they have such cute personalities (all rabbits do) that I would love to have them following me around the house all day!
    And your cats definitely won't get along with the rabbits? My cats just love them! They sleep and play together. It's funny to see how different pets may be.
    But I definitely agree, if possible, get a bonded pair, or do lots of "dates" between the rabbits before you adopt them. It will help you decide if they like each other.
    Leyley, don't lose hope, keep on trying to bond those cute little shorties you have.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rabbits and piggies should not ever be allowed to share the same bowls or fleeces. They pass disease to eachother. Having them living together is completely wrong and is due to pet shops needing the space and putting them together - hence people think they are suppose to be together.

Rabbits are wonderful animals. Very intelligent and determind. They are very much like wild rabbits, they love to frolic, dig and play. Confining a rabbit to a hutch or small space is cruel, it destroys their ability to act naturally.

On a health note, they have strong muscles and a very weak skeletal structure. Therefore, if they kick out they can easily break their own backs so please be careful handling them!

Bonding rabbits is very difficult sometimes. Female and male pairings work best, both should be neutered for a good month before even attempting bonding. My doe was very aggressive to my rescue buck - I put him in a dog crate and they lived side by side for 2 weeks. Then we introduced them in a neutral territory and they were fine. It's the smell that is the trouble, they need to get used to this.

Vaccinations and spaying are the most expensive things. 20 per injection (3 per year) and spay/neuter can cost up to 120. Best to get rescued neutered, bonded pairs!
    Also, pet insurance is a must. For 9 a month it's so worth it!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They shouldn't mix with other rodents. However, often people have mixed them with cats and dogs successfully. Depends on their character. Dogs should never be left unattended with rabbits though, their natural instincts can kick in when you least expect it.

Raising rabbits with kittens and puppies is definately easier. However, dogs like greyhounds, sausage dogs, terriers and other dogs that hunt rabbits/rats are often no good around rabbits. They need the company of their own kind first and for most.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much for the info. I would never house them together but I thought it would be night to have free time together, O well if I do get a rabbit it just put Rodney in a playpen and they can just smell each other.
    I wouldn't put them anywhere near eachother, contact through the bars can spread disease. Get your rabbit a friend of its own - the interaction is beautiful to watch. A human friend can never fully replicate a rabbit/rabbit relationship.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I currently have 3 rabbits and 4 guinea pigs. I've noticed rabbits are more independant and guineas will beg (squeak). If you wanna cuddle and hold them id go with cavy because rabbit hate to be picked up and cavies don't mind to much. Guinea Pigs cage start to smell before Rabbits. Rabbits kick shavings everywhere. But Rabbits are so cute and cuddly. I've got two lionheads and a rex. And 2 Americans and 2 Abbies.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I find it a little surprising that a lot of people wouldn't house them together.

When I was younger, Thumper (rabbit) and G.P. (piggy) lived together for years and were the best of friends.

As a matter of fact, when G.P. passed away, Thumper got really depressed and withdrawn. I ended up getting her another piggy friend to keep her company.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itoshiixhito View Post
    I find it a little surprising that a lot of people wouldn't house them together.

When I was younger, Thumper (rabbit) and G.P. (piggy) lived together for years and were the best of friends.

As a matter of fact, when G.P. passed away, Thumper got really depressed and withdrawn. I ended up getting her another piggy friend to keep her company.
    I know that there are people that do house them together but that doesn't mean that it's right, safe or healthy. This has been discussed numerous of times on here and on other forums I'm a member of and the majority agree that they should not be housed together. Even though the bunny may love the piggie, they do get jumpy and can accidently injure &/or kill the piggie. There's also a bacteria or virus that the buns can carry that is very dangerous to the piggie. (I think it's pasturella but I'm not 100% sure that's the name of it.) Also, pellets are different for each. They both get the same types of hay and most veggies, but the pellets are formulated for each specific species. Therefore, most responsible owners will separate the two.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,253 Rec'd/850 Posts
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    590 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itoshiixhito View Post

As JennG said, they have different dietary needs. Also, rabbits can jump or kick and accidentally injure (sometimes fatally) a guinea pig.

They may be "best of friends" but they shouldn't be housed together.

User Tag List