Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding would a ferret and a guinea pig get along?

piggyhearts

Cavy Slave
My brother is buying a ferret from petco and I am getting a baby guinea pig from a friend soon. I was wondering as they grow up together in the same house(different cages) would they get along or fight?

Milkingit

Cavy Slave
Ferrets have been used for centuries in rodent control and extermination and has a natural instinct to hunt and kill mice, rats, rabbits, etc (any rodent).

Ferrets natural instinct might perceive any rodent type pet as prey and attack mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, they should not be allowed to interact or be housed together.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Do not ever put them together as ferrets are predatory animals and cavies are prey animals. The ferret could kill the guinea pig.

Both cages, especially the guinea pig cage will need to be ferret proofed so that the ferret won't be able to get in it and attack the pig.

It's much better to adopt than to support the cruel breeder/pet mill industry by buying animals at the petstore.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Even if you could get them to a point where you felt they were comfortable with each other, you should never ever leave them alone together, even under close supervision. Ferrets are predators that operate on a series of base instincts. No amount of training is going to change those instincts. There's no reason you can't have them both as pets in the same home, but you have to be very careful and act responsibly. When you ask if they would "get along or fight" you need to realize that they wouldn't *just* fight - the ferret would kill the pig.

Read these threads for reference:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/37561-lucy-got-bit-last-night.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/37681-lucy-attacked-again.html
I assume the animals mentioned in these threads grew up in the same house and Lucy still died. It's not worth the risk.

There are lots and lots of ferrets (and guinea pigs) in rescue that deserve a second chance, but if you insist on buying your animals from a pet store, at least have a competent exotics vet lined up - you'll no doubt need one.

piggyhearts

Cavy Slave
Do not ever put them together as ferrets are predatory animals and cavies are prey animals. The ferret could kill the guinea pig.

Both cages, especially the guinea pig cage will need to be ferret proofed so that the ferret won't be able to get in it and attack the pig.

It's much better to adopt than to support the cruel breeder/pet mill industry by buying animals at the petstore.
All pet stores have pet mills?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave

piggyhearts

Cavy Slave
Yes, All petstores that sell animals get them from pet mills/uncaring breeders.
Really? oh my gosh and I was volunteering to work at one!

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Really? oh my gosh and I was volunteering to work at one!
You could always volunteer at a animal shelter. :) I do and it's a lot of fun.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No reputable breeders sell to pet stores of all places.

Please volunteer your time at a rescue or shelter, not a pet store that sells animals.

The ferrets that are generally in Petno are from Marshall Farms pet mill. They sell their animals to research labs as well as pet shops. They often have adrenal issues and cancer due to the way they are bred.

If you buy from them, you are supporting that.

Arielle72

Cavy Slave
I used to have ferrets and when I went to a friend's home who had guinea pigs, the poor little guys were terrified just from the smell of the ferrets on me. As many others have said, ferrets prey on rodents. and they can fit into very small spaces and would most likely be able to get into your cage through the sides. I gave one of mine a small ball made of rabbit fur that she tore in half in less than 10 seconds. She simply grabbed hold of it and twisted her body 360 degrees. Imagine if that was a piggy. Definately not a good idea.

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
She simply grabbed hold of it and twisted her body 360 degrees. Imagine if that was a piggy. Definately not a good idea.

Yikes! Makes me think of a crocodile going into a death roll or a shark attack. Makes me want to say "Crikey!"

mitzi

Cavy Slave
Never put a ferret and guinea pig together! We have 3 ferrets of our own plus 3 foster ferrets, the ferrets are downstairs and the pigs are upstairs and never meet. Ferrets are very tough animals and the only other animals the ferrets meet in our house are my large dogs and my cats. The ferrets can run down and beat up my 120lb shepherd, so if they can do this they can easily kill a guinea pig.
Death roll is scary, when they are playing they sometimes do this and they have very sharp teeth and very thick skin. Kind off like a crock! I can not imagine if they ever did this to a guinea pig, the poor pig would be dead in no time.
There are alot of ferret rescues around. The one we work with is continually looking for homes for ferrets. And tell your brother that to get a very young ferret is ALOT of work. Much more than a rescue I would imagine and we have a rather nippy rescue we are training right now.

AshleyKay

Cavy Slave
No, don't put them together! Ferrets play rough. They have very sharp claws, and teeth. They are much like a cat, or dog in the way they play. The pounce, chew, and mouth at other animals/people. They are way too rough to "get along" with a pig.

Ash-Ro060708

Cavy Slave
I've always wanted ferrets, but I've always had "prey" animals(hamster, rats, mice, degus, guinea pigs, rabbits, and budgies). I've been thinking about getting some when we buy a larger house, so the ferrets can have a room to themselves(in a cage but away from the other animals).

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Would they get along? WOULD THEY GET ALONG? NO! Again, Ferrets are predatory animals. Guinea Pigs are prey animals.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ast-night.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ked-again.html

And just because it happened to them and you think "Well, it won't happen to mine." Well think again. I mean, I don't want to be mean but if you read those posts, those attacks could happen to any Guinea Pig. Keep the Ferret cage secure and in a different room then the Guinea Pigs.

piggyhearts

Cavy Slave
I used to have ferrets and when I went to a friend's home who had guinea pigs, the poor little guys were terrified just from the smell of the ferrets on me. As many others have said, ferrets prey on rodents. and they can fit into very small spaces and would most likely be able to get into your cage through the sides. I gave one of mine a small ball made of rabbit fur that she tore in half in less than 10 seconds. She simply grabbed hold of it and twisted her body 360 degrees. Imagine if that was a piggy. Definately not a good idea.
Sounds painful...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.