Thread: would a ferret and a guinea pig get along?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question would a ferret and a guinea pig get along?

My brother is buying a ferret from petco and I am getting a baby guinea pig from a friend soon. I was wondering as they grow up together in the same house(different cages) would they get along or fight?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: would a ferret and a guinea pig get along?

Ferrets have been used for centuries in rodent control and extermination and has a natural instinct to hunt and kill mice, rats, rabbits, etc (any rodent).

Ferrets natural instinct might perceive any rodent type pet as prey and attack mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, they should not be allowed to interact or be housed together.

3. "Thank you, Milkingit, for this useful post," say these 5 members:

Catayn (11-30-09), JD In Van (11-29-09), MapleSyrup (11-29-09), NicholsS10 (12-11-09), vicky2 (12-01-09)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,785 Rec'd/1,264 Posts
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)

Please tell your brother not to buy a pet from petstore. There are many homeless pets in rescues and shelters. Check Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder or shelters in your area.

5. "Thank you, lissie, for this useful post," say these 6 members:

MapleSyrup (11-29-09), NicholsS10 (12-11-09), Peggysu (12-01-09), Tessa Bea (11-29-09), TwilightStar (11-29-09), vicky2 (12-01-09)

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,207 Rec'd/1,908 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Do not ever put them together as ferrets are predatory animals and cavies are prey animals. The ferret could kill the guinea pig.

Both cages, especially the guinea pig cage will need to be ferret proofed so that the ferret won't be able to get in it and attack the pig.

It's much better to adopt than to support the cruel breeder/pet mill industry by buying animals at the petstore.

7. "Thank you, Ly&Pigs, for this useful post," say these 7 members:

MapleSyrup (11-29-09), NicholsS10 (12-11-09), rabbitsncavyluv (11-29-09), Tessa Bea (11-29-09), TwilightStar (11-29-09), vicky2 (12-01-09), Wheek Weak (12-03-09)

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,349 Rec'd/2,292 Posts
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    290 Post(s)

Even if you could get them to a point where you felt they were comfortable with each other, you should never ever leave them alone together, even under close supervision. Ferrets are predators that operate on a series of base instincts. No amount of training is going to change those instincts. There's no reason you can't have them both as pets in the same home, but you have to be very careful and act responsibly. When you ask if they would "get along or fight" you need to realize that they wouldn't *just* fight - the ferret would kill the pig.

Read these threads for reference:
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ast-night.html
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ked-again.html
    I assume the animals mentioned in these threads grew up in the same house and Lucy still died. It's not worth the risk.

There are lots and lots of ferrets (and guinea pigs) in rescue that deserve a second chance, but if you insist on buying your animals from a pet store, at least have a competent exotics vet lined up - you'll no doubt need one.

9. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," say these 8 members:

JD In Van (11-29-09), MapleSyrup (11-29-09), NicholsS10 (12-11-09), rabbitsncavyluv (11-29-09), Tessa Bea (11-29-09), TwilightStar (11-29-09), vicky2 (12-01-09), Wheek Weak (12-03-09)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ly&Pigs View Post
    Do not ever put them together as ferrets are predatory animals and cavies are prey animals. The ferret could kill the guinea pig.

Both cages, especially the guinea pig cage will need to be ferret proofed so that the ferret won't be able to get in it and attack the pig.

It's much better to adopt than to support the cruel breeder/pet mill industry by buying animals at the petstore.
    All pet stores have pet mills?

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator! VoodooJoint's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3,221 Rec'd/798 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by piggyhearts View Post
    All pet stores have pet mills?
    Yes, All petstores that sell animals get them from pet mills/uncaring breeders.

12. "Thank you, VoodooJoint, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

blackarrow (11-29-09), katiewilson (12-02-09), NicholsS10 (12-11-09), rabbitsncavyluv (11-29-09)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooJoint View Post
    Yes, All petstores that sell animals get them from pet mills/uncaring breeders.
    Really? oh my gosh and I was volunteering to work at one!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    226 Rec'd/116 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by piggyhearts View Post
    Really? oh my gosh and I was volunteering to work at one!
    You could always volunteer at a animal shelter. I do and it's a lot of fun.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,141 Rec'd/633 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No reputable breeders sell to pet stores of all places.

Please volunteer your time at a rescue or shelter, not a pet store that sells animals.

The ferrets that are generally in Petno are from Marshall Farms pet mill. They sell their animals to research labs as well as pet shops. They often have adrenal issues and cancer due to the way they are bred.

If you buy from them, you are supporting that.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I used to have ferrets and when I went to a friend's home who had guinea pigs, the poor little guys were terrified just from the smell of the ferrets on me. As many others have said, ferrets prey on rodents. and they can fit into very small spaces and would most likely be able to get into your cage through the sides. I gave one of mine a small ball made of rabbit fur that she tore in half in less than 10 seconds. She simply grabbed hold of it and twisted her body 360 degrees. Imagine if that was a piggy. Definately not a good idea.

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle72 View Post
    She simply grabbed hold of it and twisted her body 360 degrees. Imagine if that was a piggy. Definately not a good idea.
    Yikes! Makes me think of a crocodile going into a death roll or a shark attack. Makes me want to say "Crikey!"

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Never put a ferret and guinea pig together! We have 3 ferrets of our own plus 3 foster ferrets, the ferrets are downstairs and the pigs are upstairs and never meet. Ferrets are very tough animals and the only other animals the ferrets meet in our house are my large dogs and my cats. The ferrets can run down and beat up my 120lb shepherd, so if they can do this they can easily kill a guinea pig.
    Death roll is scary, when they are playing they sometimes do this and they have very sharp teeth and very thick skin. Kind off like a crock! I can not imagine if they ever did this to a guinea pig, the poor pig would be dead in no time.
    There are alot of ferret rescues around. The one we work with is continually looking for homes for ferrets. And tell your brother that to get a very young ferret is ALOT of work. Much more than a rescue I would imagine and we have a rather nippy rescue we are training right now.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, don't put them together! Ferrets play rough. They have very sharp claws, and teeth. They are much like a cat, or dog in the way they play. The pounce, chew, and mouth at other animals/people. They are way too rough to "get along" with a pig.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've always wanted ferrets, but I've always had "prey" animals(hamster, rats, mice, degus, guinea pigs, rabbits, and budgies). I've been thinking about getting some when we buy a larger house, so the ferrets can have a room to themselves(in a cage but away from the other animals).

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would they get along? WOULD THEY GET ALONG? NO! Again, Ferrets are predatory animals. Guinea Pigs are prey animals.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ast-night.html
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ked-again.html

And just because it happened to them and you think "Well, it won't happen to mine." Well think again. I mean, I don't want to be mean but if you read those posts, those attacks could happen to any Guinea Pig. Keep the Ferret cage secure and in a different room then the Guinea Pigs.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle72 View Post
    I used to have ferrets and when I went to a friend's home who had guinea pigs, the poor little guys were terrified just from the smell of the ferrets on me. As many others have said, ferrets prey on rodents. and they can fit into very small spaces and would most likely be able to get into your cage through the sides. I gave one of mine a small ball made of rabbit fur that she tore in half in less than 10 seconds. She simply grabbed hold of it and twisted her body 360 degrees. Imagine if that was a piggy. Definately not a good idea.
    Sounds painful...

User Tag List