Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Cage clean after mites

Porky's Mom

Cavy Slave
My pigs got dosed with Revolution last Monday. That evening, we took everything out of the cage (it's like C&C but we have a different plastic than coroplast and it's on a stand and cubes for the sides). I scrubbed the plastic with soapy water then wiped it down with vinegar spray. We soaked the grids in hot soapy water. Laundered everything in there and cleaned out the litter pans with vinegar spray. Soaked the water bottles in hot soapy water and washed out the food bowls. Haven't put the "unwashable" stuff (grass huts, fiddlesticks, etc.) back in yet - not sure how long it takes the mites to die.

One pig seemed worse last Thursday, so I called the vet and he called back today and said that it could be we hadn't cleaned well enough. The piggy is now much better seems to be getting better so I am thinking it is just one of those it-gets-worse-before-it-gets-better things as I have read this and heard it from others.

What have you used to clean your cage after a mite infestation? I should add that I have 6 pigs, typically all live together but now one is separated as she had surgery last Friday so she is in a 2x4 cage by herself right now. The big cage is a 2x5 and a 2x4 grid area put together in an L shape (2x9 if it was stretched out). Either end has a 1x2 grid litter pan with litter and hay.

Thanks.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You only need to do a normal cage clean with vinegar and wash the fleece with hot water. Mites need a guinea pig to live, so since you've treated your pigs, they will die off soon. You don't need to do anything special.

And yes, some pigs get worse before they get better. I'm glad they're on their way to recovery!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.