Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Foods for guinea pigs

M

Makay772

Foods for guinea pigs

I just read the one that was "supposed" to talk about what your guinea pig eats. I would like to learn a little more tho.

My guinea pigs absolutely love alfapha but how much is too much? I only give them a small pinc of it each day but they would love to have more. Plus the only other thing that they totally love are carrots. (other than their normal food).

I have put romaine lettuce in front of them and they wanted nothing to do with it. I have also read that oranges are good but have put some in their cage and they don't want that either. (do they like the rind or the juicy part?). I have tried apples, they disregard it.

I even read somewhere about cooked veggies..do you freeze them first or do you just cook them and put them in cage (after they cooled off of course). I tried that and they didn't go near it.

Oh, also on the vitamins in the water...not sure but I will tell you what the girl at the store told me. She said they do not need it in their water. If we give them enough fruits and veggies during the day they should be fine. I think I remember something about if a guinea pig is pregnant tho she might need it...is that true???

Attachments

IMG_0388.jpg IMG_0391.jpg

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Foods for guinea pigs

I'm off to lunch, so can't answer all of your questions, but you should be giving your Guinea Pigs plenty of Timothy hay, not Alfalfa hay. Alfalfa hay is good for babies and pregnant sows(females). Someone else will be along shortly I'm sure who will answer all of your questions.

Good luck. :D

Attachments

048.jpg
B

Briana D

You really should discontinue giving your pigs alfalfa. They may love it but when they develop stones you'll regret giving it to them. Regarding carrots, you can feed them carrot but in moderation. Too many carrots are believed to cause liver problems. Try limiting them to maybe 1-2 baby carrots a week. Again when you weight the pros and cons its just not worth it.
Have you only tried romaine, you can give them such a variety they will eventually like something. Try some of the following: Parsley in moderation, Cilantro, Celery leaves, Collard greens, Mustard greens / Leaf Mustard, Water Cress, Garden Cress, Swiss Chard, Red Chard, Beet greens, Spinach (feed in moderation kidney & bladder stones), Carrot tops, Dandelion greens and so very much more. They may shun the veggies but eventually they will take to something. The key is variety

You can also feed oranges but in moderation. Since they are a citrus fruit they have been known to cause sores around the mouths of guinea pigs. I wouldn’t recommended trying to cooked method anymore. Just nice fresh leafy greens from your grocery store and they’re bound to like something.

The girl at the pet store was right – do not put vitamins in the water. Vitamins break down to quickly in water rendering them useless. So if your pig is pregnant she’ll get nothing from vitamins in the water. Vitamins in the water are also said to make the water taste gross causing the pig to drink less then it normally would.

Fresh veggies and a good quality pellet will supply them with plenty on vitamin C. A pellet I’d like to recommended is www.oxbowhay.com. Check the retail locations there may be one near you.

Is your guinea pig pregnant?

Attachments

DSCF0941.jpg DSCF0509.jpg DSCF0535.jpg DSCF0890.jpg DSCF0843.jpg DSCF0837.jpg DSCF0613.jpg Photo 69.jpg DSCF0969.jpg DSCF1013.jpg DSCF1016.jpg DSCF1020.jpg DSCF1022.jpg
A

AngelicumCavy

alfalfa

Alfa-alfa Hay contains more calcium than they need on a regular basis, they need to get calcium from different sources and too much calcium will result in STONES.
Alfa alfa is advisable for pregnant and lactating moms and babies for their calcium needs are higher. But if the cavies areen't pregnant try to do it minimal or once to twice a week of handful.

Search the net for the best refernces :)

<a href="https://www.theministryofmagic.org.uk" target="_new">[/b]The Ministry Of Magic</a>

M

Makay772

Thank you so much for all of the advice.

I didn't realize that about the carrots...I give them each one baby carrot every day..are you saying that is too much?

I will go out and buy some of the other veggies that you mentioned...I hope they start trying different things.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Hey Briana,

I've read quite a bit about the carrot thing and have come to the conclusion the concerns are highly overstated and inflated.

My pigs get a lot of carrots in addition to a lot of everything else. When the do get carrots, which is about every other day, they probably get 2-3 baby carrots a serving.

J

jesswade5575

My guinea won't eat any fruits....he absolutely LOVES Dandelion Greens, Green Leaf Lettuce, and Parsley.

He also likes Asparagus and a little sweet potato & baby carrots with the tops on.

But I also only give him the carrots in moderation. Plenty of Timothy Hay every day is very important and someone told me to put the vitamin C IN the water & I learned not to after about 1 day.

Jessica

Attachments

Picture 080.jpg Picture 081.jpg Picture 082.jpg Picture 083.jpg

2steps

None of my pigs are very keen on fruits either. They like apples and satsumas but that`s it really. But they like loads of different veg. My love dandelion leaves too :D We don`t have many growing around here so I`m thinking of growing some in my veggie garden this year.

Attachments

2.jpg gloria2.jpg gloria5.jpg gloria11.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.