Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I just got my guinea pig a new friend...

Kyle&Mo

Cavy Slave
I have had Mo for a month now after I adopted him, and I have read EVERYWHERE that two makes for happier guinea pigs. So today I got a new "baby" and he's in a different cage for quarantine, but I don't know what to do. I feel like I may neglect one or the other and I LOVE Mo to death and don't want to do that. However, it sounds like he could be so much happier. And I feel like I may be getting in over my head with two. What should I do, should I re-adopt out my new one or keep him? :sad:

gunnybunny

Cavy Slave
I would deffently keep him. In the long run both you and your gps will be much happier. I am currently on the look out for a male to adopt and I feel the same way, however once you get the hang of balancing the two of them I am sure the 3 weeks will be a piece of cake and fly by in no time. If your original male is on a schedule maybe you could put the new on on the same schedule or at least a simalier one so that way when you do put them together it will be much easier.

I hope I helped =/

rjramer06

Cavy Slave
I know exactly how you feel! We originally had 2 gp babies but lost one to sickness. Once the other was well, we contacted our vet for an adoption. We were able to find another boy that was the perfect age and everything. Once we went to pick him up, our vet (with help from my fiance) talked me into taking his brother as well (also the same age). So I instantly went from 1 to 3 piggies with a cage that was too small and everything! I felt super overwhelmed at first, but now things are really good. They all have a different personality and it's fun to spend 1-on-1 time with each of them. I don't pay much more for food, veggies, or bedding than if I just had 2 piggies, so going from 1 to 2 for you shouldn't be so bad either. :) I feel better knowing my guy has 2 new friends now and I know that I did the right then in getting him a friend.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
Same boat here, I started with the just one, and then went to get him a "friend" from a rescue shelter I found, and ended up getting two!! But he is so much happier now, and it's so much fun watching them play and interact together, and like everyone else said it's not that much difference in taking care of multiples really once you get them together. Good luck and enjoy your pair, you will see how much happier Mo will be.:)

Grandmar Cavy

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean I started with one and decided to get her a friend it was the best decision I could of made as they are so happy together. I now have nine and find time for them all.

Vanilla eXe

Cavy Slave
Agreed, having two is not difficult and it means the world to your piggie. When I just had S'mores he was very clingy, whenever I wasn't holding him he was wheeking. Not that I didn't enjoy the fact that he wanted me around all the time, but he was obviously not happy. Now that he has Zoot he's quieter and he popcorns more.

walls449

Cavy Slave
Yea, I know how you feel. I went from 2 down to 1 but she was pregnant with 3 , then we adopted another. Lost momma to illness , infection in the blood, Now we have 4. 3 females and 1 male and I don't spend anymore on 4 than I did on 2, So adorable had to keep them all.

Wilber

Cavy Slave
At the risk of sounding like a newbie, why is quarentene necessary? I have been thinking of getting another as well, but lack the extra cage to store two.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
At the risk of sounding like a newbie, why is quarentene necessary? I have been thinking of getting another as well, but lack the extra cage to store two.
Well, for one, treating all the pigs at the vet for the same illness can be costly.
It takes a few weeks for signs of illness to show up, so you can monitor it.
And another reason is that if one pig is sick, all the others do not have to suffer with the same sickness.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.