Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea Pigs Swimming?

iPiggy

Cavy Slave
Can you guys give me some reasons why guinea pigs should not swim? I'm trying to convince some owners but they won't listen because I don't have very many reasons :expressio I'm scared for the well being of their piggies so I need more evidence. Thanks.

juliaaa

Cavy Slave
Although they can swim if they have to save themselves from drowning, guinea pigs are not built for swimming. It is not fun or enjoyable for them in any way, and will cause unnecessary stress.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
There is a very high chance the the pig will become frightened, thrash about in the water and drown. Tell them to look at the size of their paws in relation to the size of their bodies: they are in no way built for swimming. Not only that: but frequent saturation of the skin can cause skin irritation. Also ask them: what are their reasons for wanting their pig to swim? Because though I can list many reasons for them not to, I can't think of one to try and put them in water.

ResqMomma

Cavy Slave
I am curious as to why they want them to swim? If it's treated water it's bad for their skin and if they swallow too much it could cause other problems I would think.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure in the wild Pigs don't have much access to water. They're too chunky and short legged to support themselves for long. Like imagine a Basset Hound swimming for 4 hours. Not happening! Same for pigs. Water may frighten and stress the pigs out because they feel they have no escape. Some people think it's good 'excersize' but no, it's just making them scared.

ms pixie riot

Cavy Slave
In a related question, is there any reason why they shouldn't be in shallow water if they want to? I recently had to temporarily give my girls a dish with water in it in place of a water bottle, and one pig was VERY determined to jump in the water and splash around. She LOVED it! Is this okay?

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I have one that likes getting her toes wet in the dish I have beneath the water bottle to catch overflow. One of her cagemates likes to play with the bottle and slobber water all over. I think her exploring the water is just piggy curiosity. She can control it and she's not really swimming.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.