Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Loose Stool

rachrachrach

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that my newly adopted piggy, Sushi, generally has looser stool than the pig I've had forever. I wouldn't call it diarrhea, just slightly smooshier - aka messier. Any suggestions? I usually feed them romaine, carrots, parsley (not too often) & cilantro (not too often).

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Has this guinea pig been fed veggies before? If not, the fresh food may be upsetting her digestive tract. Otherwise a fecal culture may be helpful.

rachrachrach

Cavy Slave
Has this guinea pig been fed veggies before? If not, the fresh food may be upsetting her digestive tract. Otherwise a fecal culture may be helpful.

Well, I got her about 2 months ago & her stool is on and off loose. It's never has hard as my other guinea pigs.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Having the vet check her stools is a good idea. Does she have unlimited hay? Do you give her probiotics? She may need some help re-estabishing the normal balance of things in her gut. Carrots are high in sugar and may cause issues if given in large quanties. Hope that you find an answer soon.

rachrachrach

Cavy Slave
Having the vet check her stools is a good idea. Does she have unlimited hay? Do you give her probiotics? She may need some help re-estabishing the normal balance of things in her gut. Carrots are high in sugar and may cause issues if given in large quanties. Hope that you find an answer soon.

What are probiotics?

Toadies

Cavy Slave
It's like acidophilus, microorganisms that help regulate the gut. I use Probiocin but I know others here use other kinds as well. You can get some from your vet or online, which is cheaper. I got mine online from Revival Pet for less than half of what the vet charged. You can check valleyvet.com (Bene-Bac) as well.

rachrachrach

Cavy Slave
It's like acidophilus, microorganisms that help regulate the gut. I use Probiocin but I know others here use other kinds as well. You can get some from your vet or online, which is cheaper. I got mine online from Revival Pet for less than half of what the vet charged. You can check valleyvet.com (Bene-Bac) as well.

Thanks! I found it online, as well. What's the dosage you use for guinea pigs?

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Probiocin goes by body weight, 1g/up to 10 lbs of body weight and it comes in a metered syringe, which is why I prefer it. My guys get 1g (the newborn dose) once a week unless there are problems or are on ABs. I don't know about Bene-Bac but the directions are on the container. Just don't give it too often. You might want to start out with once a week and see if there is any improvement. If not, then try twice a week but probably not more than that. A vet check on the stool is still a good idea. I think one of our members lost a piggie to worms. Better safe than sorry.

rachrachrach

Cavy Slave
Probiocin goes by body weight, 1g/up to 10 lbs of body weight and it comes in a metered syringe, which is why I prefer it. My guys get 1g (the newborn dose) once a week unless there are problems or are on ABs. I don't know about Bene-Bac but the directions are on the container. Just don't give it too often. You might want to start out with once a week and see if there is any improvement. If not, then try twice a week but probably not more than that. A vet check on the stool is still a good idea. I think one of our members lost a piggie to worms. Better safe than sorry.

Yikes. Can worms be passed piggie to piggie?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure that the assessment of worms in the said individuals guinea pig is accurate. I question if this vet who claimed worms is a cavy savy vet.

rachrachrach

Cavy Slave
You know, she actually seems to be doing ok last night & today. (Of course right after I post, aye?) She's kind of an odd guinea pig. She's my rescued pig & I'm not positive of the conditions she came from.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Peggysu, thank you for the clarification. I had only a vague recollection and did not search for the post. My apologies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.