Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Loose Stool

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave rachrachrach's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 01, 2008
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Loose Stool

    I've noticed that my newly adopted piggy, Sushi, generally has looser stool than the pig I've had forever. I wouldn't call it diarrhea, just slightly smooshier - aka messier. Any suggestions? I usually feed them romaine, carrots, parsley (not too often) & cilantro (not too often).

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    8,396
    Thanks
    2,022
    Thanks
    1,142 Rec'd/633 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    Has this guinea pig been fed veggies before? If not, the fresh food may be upsetting her digestive tract. Otherwise a fecal culture may be helpful.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave rachrachrach's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 01, 2008
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitsncavyluv View Post
    Has this guinea pig been fed veggies before? If not, the fresh food may be upsetting her digestive tract. Otherwise a fecal culture may be helpful.
    Well, I got her about 2 months ago & her stool is on and off loose. It's never has hard as my other guinea pigs.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 05, 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mt. High
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanks
    80
    Thanks
    171 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    Having the vet check her stools is a good idea. Does she have unlimited hay? Do you give her probiotics? She may need some help re-estabishing the normal balance of things in her gut. Carrots are high in sugar and may cause issues if given in large quanties. Hope that you find an answer soon.

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave rachrachrach's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 01, 2008
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadies View Post
    Having the vet check her stools is a good idea. Does she have unlimited hay? Do you give her probiotics? She may need some help re-estabishing the normal balance of things in her gut. Carrots are high in sugar and may cause issues if given in large quanties. Hope that you find an answer soon.
    What are probiotics?

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 05, 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mt. High
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanks
    80
    Thanks
    171 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    It's like acidophilus, microorganisms that help regulate the gut. I use Probiocin but I know others here use other kinds as well. You can get some from your vet or online, which is cheaper. I got mine online from Revival Pet for less than half of what the vet charged. You can check valleyvet.com (Bene-Bac) as well.

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave rachrachrach's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 01, 2008
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadies View Post
    It's like acidophilus, microorganisms that help regulate the gut. I use Probiocin but I know others here use other kinds as well. You can get some from your vet or online, which is cheaper. I got mine online from Revival Pet for less than half of what the vet charged. You can check valleyvet.com (Bene-Bac) as well.
    Thanks! I found it online, as well. What's the dosage you use for guinea pigs?

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 05, 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mt. High
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanks
    80
    Thanks
    171 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    Probiocin goes by body weight, 1g/up to 10 lbs of body weight and it comes in a metered syringe, which is why I prefer it. My guys get 1g (the newborn dose) once a week unless there are problems or are on ABs. I don't know about Bene-Bac but the directions are on the container. Just don't give it too often. You might want to start out with once a week and see if there is any improvement. If not, then try twice a week but probably not more than that. A vet check on the stool is still a good idea. I think one of our members lost a piggie to worms. Better safe than sorry.

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave rachrachrach's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 01, 2008
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadies View Post
    Probiocin goes by body weight, 1g/up to 10 lbs of body weight and it comes in a metered syringe, which is why I prefer it. My guys get 1g (the newborn dose) once a week unless there are problems or are on ABs. I don't know about Bene-Bac but the directions are on the container. Just don't give it too often. You might want to start out with once a week and see if there is any improvement. If not, then try twice a week but probably not more than that. A vet check on the stool is still a good idea. I think one of our members lost a piggie to worms. Better safe than sorry.
    Yikes. Can worms be passed piggie to piggie?

  10. #10
    Cavy Star Peggysu's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 03, 2008
    Location
    Beautiful California
    Posts
    2,589
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks
    1,664
    Thanks
    917 Rec'd/476 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    I'm not sure that the assessment of worms in the said individuals guinea pig is accurate. I question if this vet who claimed worms is a cavy savy vet.

  11. "Thank you, Peggysu, for this useful post," says:

    rachrachrach (07-12-09)

  12. #11
    Cavy Slave rachrachrach's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 01, 2008
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    You know, she actually seems to be doing ok last night & today. (Of course right after I post, aye?) She's kind of an odd guinea pig. She's my rescued pig & I'm not positive of the conditions she came from.

  13. #12
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 05, 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mt. High
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanks
    80
    Thanks
    171 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loose Stool

    Peggysu, thank you for the clarification. I had only a vague recollection and did not search for the post. My apologies.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •