Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do i make my guinea pig more friendly to people and me

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
I got my guinea pig around christmis time from my teacher who gets animals from people who do not want them. He gets very scared and normally runs away when you try to pick him up. He also runs away when you try to pet him. What do i do?

pennick

Cavy Slave
That is only normal. It is their nature to run away as they see your your big monster hand in their face. They will always do that but to a lesser degree down the road. Try to take him out of his cage and have him sit on a towel on your lap and hold him good so he cant jump out and just baby talk to him and pet him gently. Do this a couple of times a day every day. Also try giving him a treat from your hand. Always talk to him as you clean his cage, change his food, give him hay, give him a treat in the cage. He will associate your voice with good things. If you continue to do this in time he will calm down and will start to trust you. It can take a few months for this to happen so dont rush it. Make sure you know how to properly care for him as far as food, hay and veggies go. He needs all the proper foods to stay healthy.

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
Thanks pennick i have gotten all my care information from this website and giving him what he needs to stay healthy

Treen

Cavy Slave
Although any new guinea pig is likely to be nervous, they are social animals, so they're often very nervous when housed alone. Have you considered getting him a same sex buddy https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm?

Make sure his cage is in a high traffic area of the house so he gets used to all the noises and movements. It often helps to have the cage up on a table too - things seem less scary when they don't loom so far up!

Make sure he has somewhere to hide in his cage too - a nice cardboard box is fine (bottomless or it'll get soggy!). It'll help having somewhere safe he knows he can retreat to when he feels threatened. Of course at first it'll be pretty often, but as he settles in, you'll earn his trust.

Good luck.

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
ummmm well the cage is in my room becuase my parents don't want it any where else but i go in and out of my room alot and listen to the tv. And like my cat and dog can't get in because i shut my door when i am not in there. Any i believe my parents don't want me to get another one since i will be leaving for college in a few years

pennick

Cavy Slave
Does your cage have a cover? Since you mentioned a dog and a cat. You never know when your door could be accidently left open.

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
ummm no it doesn't have a cover but so far i have not left the door open and if i do my parents shut it

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Any i believe my parents don't want me to get another one since i will be leaving for college in a few years

It won't be any different having two than having one. You would still have to figure out what to do with the one you have now when you go to college, to either take it with you or have your parents keep it for you while your away. There also is virtually no added cost of having two pigs.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Every pig has a different personality, some just don't like to be held and others enjoy the attention. If your boy has come from a rescue it may take him more time to settle in and learn to trust you. Just give him lots of love and consistency and in time, he should become more friendly.

Having a buddy might help, too. I can speak from experience - my first pig was rescued from the animal shelter and seemed very nervous in her big cage all alone. She constantly searched for other pigs, vocalizing to herself, so I got baby Curly Sue for her. She seems MUCH happier having a companion and is in turn, much more laid back and friendly.

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
well i will ask them about getting another one but will my 2x3 cage be big enoufgh for two pigs because i do not want to make it any larger

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
You should have a 2X4.

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
so then i shouldn't get another pig because i can not make the cage bigger without it being in the way of my floor space i need. even if i get a little pig, because our petco sells baby ones that fit in the palm of your hand

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You have a boar so he would need a boar playmate or a spayed female companion. If you do consider getting your guy a friend please don't buy a pet from Petco or any other petstore. It only contributes to the breeding mills. There are tons of shelters/rescues around that you can adopt a pig from. A 2x4 cage is only 14" x 28" larger than a 2x3. Maybe if you did a little bit of creative rearranging you could fit a slightly larger cage. I didn't think I had the room to expand my cage, but I moved some things around and now it fits well.

If you had two girls a 2x3 would be the minimum in size. But for boys you need a bit larger cage. If you can't get another then please just give your little guy lots of extra attention so he won't be as lonely.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I have a question, If you had non-breedingpair, would it be ok to keep them in a 2x3? or would you need a 2X3.5 ?*sarcasm on the second question*

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
I have my two girls in a 2x3, with a 1x2 second floor. They do fine in the space, running around like mad things every morning when I wake up.

Space can be an issue, in bedrooms or apartments, so while it may be preferable for the piggies to have more space, sometimes it's just not possible.

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
That is exactly what i am talking about krysanthemum you are so right there is limited space in bedrooms

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I live in a very small apartment, but I talked my mom into letting me have the master bedroom so I have my bed a small chair and a 4X5 guinea pig cage. My tv is in a closet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.