Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Big Poo

I've been thinking about how to word this for hours so it didn't sound so 'indelicate' and I can't...so please forgive me for sounding crass! Yesterday morning when I went into my Cotton's cage,there was this almost small, ping-pong ball size ball of poo in there! I've seen tiny balls before, but nothing like this! There was the usual amount of normal feces, too, but that thing scared me to death! I really don't see how he passed it without it hurting him! I checked...he's fine, and he's acting, eating, pooping and drinking normally. This morning, there was only his normal feces. His diet didn't change...the night before, he did have a little canteloupe, but he's had it lots of times before and it didn't do that! He's 4 years old...should I take him to a Vet? If he wasn't going to the bathroom, I'd have been there yesterday...might be impaction... but with this...I don't know! What's anybody think?

Thanks
    Thanks
    252 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Big Poo

Was it soft or mushy? Could it have been several softer poos (from the cantaloupe perhaps? my pigs sometimes get soft poos from fruit) squished together? Have you checked his sack for impaction?

Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, Ive checked his sack...looks fine. The first thing I did was check that cause that's the first thing I thought about. It definitely wasn't mushy...it was a solid harder ball with some regular feces stuck to it. (SORRY!)

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

(Just first of all want to say "Bless you" to you because you keep apologising for being crass when it's something that we shouldn't be embarrassed to talk about. Guinea pig health can be determined by their droppings so it has to be talked about. I've even been discussing my guinea pigs poos with my boyfriend! Never before would I even mention the word! Lol. So chill out, don't be shy!)

I've noticed mine are passing softer poos that all mush themselves together on the way out. I was informed this was probably due to me introducing them to new foods (they are on dry mix so I'm slowly changing them over to pellets and introducing them to veg).

Are you sure it is one large poop? Is he due for a check-up anyway so you can kill two birds with one stone, by getting him checked over by a vet and mentioning that his stools have been looking odd?

Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He's due for a check-up in August. Maybe as long as he's doing everything normally, I'll just wait and ask about it then. But if I see another one, I'll call the Doctor or just take him in early.

I'm almost 100% sure it was one big poop cause I've seen other ones that were a bunch of soft ones mushed together and this wasn't the same.
    I won't apologize anymore...I know we have to speak about this and personally, I don't mind their poop at all! (Not even that they eat it!) I just didn't want to gross anybody else out. I should have known better though...after all, we're all piggie lovers here! (Thanks for reminding me though!)

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think you're doing the right thing waiting until August if there isn't another one.

And no probs, I'm usually deadly embarrassed about discussing these things but ever since getting my piggies it just all seems to not embarress me anymore!

:D

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hi Wheekie, as soon as I read that you found a large ping pong size poo ball I immediately thought of a hair ball. Could it possibly be that he just passed out some poo with some added hair that was becoming like a 'bolus' in their digestive tract? I know cattle do this from time to time and you wonder how on earth that can get that up, but they usually regurgitate it rather than poo it out. Did the poo have quite a few hairs in it? Guinea pig hair is really fine so maybe the hair is not as noticeable in the poo?? Just wondering, might be totally off the mark, not sure??

Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Come to think of it..there were a few hairs! Sometimes I see them in the little balls, too! Maybe they were in his sac and bulding up and I should just be thankful that he still has the muscle srenghth to get them out so that they don't become a blockage!

Thanks
    Thanks
    252 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you aren't checking your boys sack weekly for debris, you should start. Especially now just in case he has had some sort of impaction problem that he passed himself. From what I remember, impaction can become more likely as boys become more elderly.

10. "Thank you, PiggieMom, for this useful post," says:

Wheekie (06-18-09)

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What is their sack?... ha ha, sounds quite wierd, and how do you check it?

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    141 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Africa View Post
    What is their sack?... ha ha, sounds quite wierd, and how do you check it?
    Male guinea pigs have anal sacks.
    I have never done it so i won't try to explain the process but I to would like to know the answer to this.

Thanks
    Thanks
    252 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you look at this page on impaction they have a lot of pictures and information on how to check it and clean it. It's pretty easy to do, you just basically gently pull apart the folds of skin. You can clean out debris with a q-tip and a bit of mineral oil. They may not enjoy it, but it doesn't hurt them.

14. "Thank you, PiggieMom, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Africa (06-19-09), Seonta (06-18-09)

Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wasn't checking the sack weekly as long as I was seeing normal looking feces, but I will start checking it much more often cause he's My Baby and I can't have him in any discomfort! Thanks! I hope it's not the start of an impaction problem for his sake...me, I can deal cause I'd do anything for him, but I imagine it'd be 'yukky' for him!

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Re: Big Poo

Does anyone know if you need to check the anal sack on a neutered male as well? I've only ever had females before. (Sorry for butting in)

Thanks
    Thanks
    252 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, you should. Neutering lessens the chance of impaction, but doesn't eliminate it. Plus, stuff can still get stuff up there, even if it's just hair or bits of hay he'll feel better if you get it out.

Thanks
    Thanks
    117 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's my understanding that males need their anal sacks cleaned more frequently than females and boy.....let me tell you, you"re in for a surprise because it "stinks." I Check my boys sacks at least once a week to every 2 weeks because I have found all kind of things stuffed up there, shavings, hair from the others, onetime even a pellet. And I also check their thingy's as I often find hair wrapped around it along with small pieces of shavings...poor fellas.

User Tag List