Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Clumps of hair falling out - what's going on?

couchon

Cavy Slave
I am taking my piggie to the vet this Saturday, but I just wanted to know what's going on. I found and keep finding a few clumps of hair (not big - all except for one were only a few hairs) connected together by some sort of crust. It seems they fell out together like that (they were still attached when I found them). There are no visible places where hair is missing on the piggie herself. I think I may see small white bugs on her, but then they just appear to be bedding dust. Am I imagining things? Is this normal? What could it be?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Any hair you find with the crust on it I would take to the vet with you. The vet can use that instead of doing a skin scrapping. It sounds like it could be a fungal infection of some sort or maybe mites or lice. Hopefully the vet appointment goes well.

couchon

Cavy Slave
I will bring them! I put them inside a piece of sticky tape, but now I am wondering if that ruined the sample.

I was just wondering if anyone experienced anything similar...

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I've read about stuff similar and it was fungal. I would put it in a zip lock baggie if you have one.

xxlizzybordenxx

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs had mites a few months ago. In my experience the pig was losing hair in chuncks, small at first but then it was worse. When they have mites the hair comes out right from the roots and sticks together with almost a white crust. Definately make sure you get your pig to the vet, if it is mites which it sounds like it might be if left untreated could be fatal.
Good luck I hope everything works out! By the way my pig is 100% better after a few treatments of ivermectin administered by my vet. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.