Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Pushing up when I pet her nose/face?

Should I?

Cavy Slave
When I stroke one of my pigs from her nose to between her ears, she pushes her head up violently. Does this mean she doesn't like it?

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
It's just a guinea pig thing saying, "Don't do that".

I've read that it's an instinct thing for cavies (because they're prey animals) to not want their eyes blocked from being able to see predators.

Should I?

Cavy Slave
My other pig, I can pet him all over, any direction and he doesn't do a thing or make any noise.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
One of the girls will do that...only she will be on my chest, run up to my chin and shove my head back, and snuggle into my neck.

Oddest thing LOL.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs does that everytime and my husband thinks it's hilarious. She is a pig who really doesn't like being pet ANYWHERE. Sadly for her, we really don't respect her wishes. It's her own fault for being so cute and soft.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
My Little Perla does that too (occasionally some of my others too). She's seems to be more sensitve to things then the rest of my pigs as well. I kind of thought, and this is just me thinking, that maybe it's that that's where they're nasal passages are and when we pet them there, sometimes maybe we go too hard and puts pressure on the passages and they don't like it. kind of like when something pushes against our nose, you can feel pressure and it feels kind of uncomfortable. Maybe some piggies are more sensitve then others? You never know! Maybe some just dont like to be petted there just because! Oh well, there MAYBE (lol) there is someone here that really knows the reason why and can tell us when they read this!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Not every pig is the same, while one may like something, another won't like the same thing. Respect your piggie and don't pet her like that, she doesn't like it.

Jasper_Hale

Cavy Slave
When I stroke one of my pigs from her nose to between her ears, she pushes her head up violently. Does this mean she doesn't like it?

My little boy, Henry, does that all the time to me. I don't think it means anything bad; just guinea pig language.

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
One of the girls will do that...only she will be on my chest, run up to my chin and shove my head back, and snuggle into my neck.

Oddest thing LOL.

Clover does that all the time! I'll have her sitting on my stomach or my chest, and after a minute or two she'll run up and snuggle either underneath my chin or behind my neck! She used to sit on my shoulder when she was little, but now she's a bit too large and has to sort of wrap around my neck! It's the funniest thing when she sniffs my ears or my face; her whiskers tickle so much!

However, Clover moves her head the exact same way you (Should I?) described when I pet the top of her head, so I don't! You'll find your piggie's favorite spot soon enough!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.