Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Can my rabbit eat the Guinea Pig's food?

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
I have a rabbit (not in with the Guinea Pigs), can she eat the same food as the Guinea Pigs? I know I read not to give the GP's rabbit food because it doesn't contain the vitamin C but wasn't sure if it was ok to feed her their food. Right now I am feeding Oxbow Cavy Performance for the babies and the bunny is getting the Oxbow Rabbit food. It would be great to get them the same food though. Any help?

Molli_Mayzee

Cavy Slave
I do not believe that's a good idea. Rabbits and guinea pigs have different nutritional needs. Each food is formulated for each animal. Like it's not good for a dog to eat cat food and vice versa.

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
OK. Thanks. That's what I was thinking but thought maybe someone knew for sure.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Rabbits need good quality rabbit food, cavies need good quality cavy food.

willow2

Cavy Slave
Rabbits kneed rabbit food, they can get a disease and a special ingredient that's in rabbit food prevents this disease (That ingredient is poisonous to piggys so its another reason not to feed rabbit food to pigs).

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
That isn't quite right Willow but Ly is right. They should each get their own species' feed.

guineapiglover0

Cavy Slave
sorry but now rabbits and guinea pigs need diferent nutrition that would be easyer thow

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
That doesn't sound like a very good idea. Rabbit food is rabbit food for a reason. All rodents (even though rabbits aren't rodents) have different needs, and each food is designed to meet those species specific needs.
If all rodents had the same nutritional needs, then there would simply be "rodent food", but there isn't

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
I don't feed them each others food, I was just asking. It's been answered, thanks:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.