Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Huge piece of soft poo? Sick?

xDardentlove

Cavy Slave
So I looked inside my boys cage today before I was leaving to pick up a few poos. I noticed a huge piece of poo that was in the corner and picked it up. It looks like a bunch of squishy pellets together. It is really soft, but I don't believe it is diarrhea. The poo is also smelly, and they're regular poo isn't smelly.

I have had my boys for about a month now and I have been feeding them 1/8 cups of pellets per pig per day, 1 cups of veggies twice a day (breakfast and dinner), and unlimited amounts of hay. This is the first time I have seen this. I only feed them fruits once or twice a week. I'm also not sure which piggie's poo this is.

Anybody have any idea what this is? Is this normal? What should I Do?

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
Sometimes my boys pee on a pile of poo and it ends up sort of like you described. I would just keep an eye on them to see if it hapens againor if anything else changes. Someone more experienced than me might have a better suggestion, but this is what I would do in your situation.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How old are your boys? Sometimes poo gets all stuck together and then when (if they can) they pass it, it looks like that.

Moo&Star

Cavy Slave
i found a whopper yesterday, which was not too hard or soft. just large. if you notice a stool is runny, very hard to come out, or tiny, i'd certainly contact their vet. also, i do not feed that much vegetables. when i first rescued the boys three years ago, i did until someone from oxbow suggested that i stick to pellets, hay, and a small amount of romaine, orange peel, dandelion green, or bite of apple [size of pinky nail], as they are only three pounds.

hope you are all have a lovely week!

all the best,

moo and star

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
i do not feed that much vegetables. i did until someone from oxbow suggested that i stick to pellets, hay, and a small amount of romaine, orange peel, dandelion green, or bite of apple [size of pinky nail]

That really doesn't sound like a well-rounded diet at all. I'd really suggest checking out the stickies at the top of the nutrition forum. Your pigs need a cup of veggies each per day, and more variety than you are providing.

xDardentlove

Cavy Slave
I took my boy to the vet. Gave them samples of the poo. They will do tests tonight and then call me tomorrow with the results to make sure everything is normal. They gave me some meds to give him once a day for a week. They said everything should be fine soon. I'm relieved.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.