Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Huge piece of soft poo? Sick?

So I looked inside my boys cage today before I was leaving to pick up a few poos. I noticed a huge piece of poo that was in the corner and picked it up. It looks like a bunch of squishy pellets together. It is really soft, but I don't believe it is diarrhea. The poo is also smelly, and they're regular poo isn't smelly.

I have had my boys for about a month now and I have been feeding them 1/8 cups of pellets per pig per day, 1 cups of veggies twice a day (breakfast and dinner), and unlimited amounts of hay. This is the first time I have seen this. I only feed them fruits once or twice a week. I'm also not sure which piggie's poo this is.

Anybody have any idea what this is? Is this normal? What should I Do?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Huge piece of soft poo? Sick?

Sometimes my boys pee on a pile of poo and it ends up sort of like you described. I would just keep an eye on them to see if it hapens againor if anything else changes. Someone more experienced than me might have a better suggestion, but this is what I would do in your situation.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,244 Rec'd/1,910 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

How old are your boys? Sometimes poo gets all stuck together and then when (if they can) they pass it, it looks like that.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i found a whopper yesterday, which was not too hard or soft. just large. if you notice a stool is runny, very hard to come out, or tiny, i'd certainly contact their vet. also, i do not feed that much vegetables. when i first rescued the boys three years ago, i did until someone from oxbow suggested that i stick to pellets, hay, and a small amount of romaine, orange peel, dandelion green, or bite of apple , as they are only three pounds.

hope you are all have a lovely week!

all the best,

moo and star

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    521 Rec'd/218 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moo&Star View Post
    i do not feed that much vegetables. i did until someone from oxbow suggested that i stick to pellets, hay, and a small amount of romaine, orange peel, dandelion green, or bite of apple

That really doesn't sound like a well-rounded diet at all. I'd really suggest checking out the stickies at the top of the nutrition forum. Your pigs need a cup of veggies each per day, and more variety than you are providing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I took my boy to the vet. Gave them samples of the poo. They will do tests tonight and then call me tomorrow with the results to make sure everything is normal. They gave me some meds to give him once a day for a week. They said everything should be fine soon. I'm relieved.

User Tag List