Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My scalp itches sooo bad! Help?!

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Ok, so my mother confirmed that I don't have lice (she's an RN, and she said that I would have eggs all along the hair shaft, ew), and my hair shafts are clean and clear. I tried looking on WebMD, and it didn't really help. So, next I went to PETA's caring consumer website to look up cruelty-free dandruff shampoos, but I don't have dandruff either, my scalp is just itching really bad all of a sudden since I woke up!
And I don't have any idea why. It's just the top of my head, my scalp, not anywhere else on my head.

Would a dandruff shampoo help with a itchy scalp even if I don't have dandruff?

If anyone of you has ever experienced anything similar to this, please do share what you have done to cure your symptoms!

Also, I have tried scratching it, but it doesn't help. Leaving it alone has seemed to help more than scratching it, but I still itch a whole lot.

Should I take a shower now, or wait until I get a special shampoo? What about conditioner? I have to use conditioner, but they don't have a dandruff conditioner, do they?

Thanks in advance! :eek:ptimist:

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Were you out in the sun at all? I burnt my scalp last week. But I have a nervous thing where I scratch my head all the time, so if we can narrow down what happened to your head, I'm sure I can help.

edit: Neutrogena T-Gel smells awful but works for dandruff. Head & Shoulders doesn't help much. Whatever that "blue" one is, didn't work for my dandruff either. The only thing I've found to help with my dandruff is some stuff from LUSH cosmetics. I'll have to see if I can find the name of that. But let's figure out what's going on before you go the dandruff route, because it could just be a sensitive area. Did you have your hair done up or slept funny? Sometimes the hair follicles go a new way and it feels weird/itchy.

second edit: Oh, and if it were lice, you'd be itchy more along the sides and back where they like to nest (like right around your ear). Egads my head is itching something terrible thinking about it.... (shouldn't you be in school today?)

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Don't get dandruff shampoos. They may work short term, but long term they don't. They are very harsh, too. Burt's Bee's has a sulfate free shampoo (sulfates are bad for you, and very harsh), I think there may be some other ones, but I don't know for sure. I find vegan shampoos are best (even though I don't use shampoo) I recently started getting dandruff and my scalp itched really bad. Pure aloe vera gel helps soothe the scalp. As well as tea tree oil, when I was looking for a dandruff treatment I found one (I can't find it again, I'm still looking, so if I do I'll post it), and even though you don't have dandruff it will soothe your scalp. It is 15 drops of tea tree oil to 10 oz. of pure aloe vera gel, you apply to your scalp let it sit for (I believe it was) 30 minutes and rinse it out. I started out with less tea tree oil though, so I could make sure it wasn't to much (it could burn your scalp if it is too much tea tree oil, so I would start out with less, and add more if you want to). ACV rinses soothe and clean (Apple Cidar Vinegar), it is 2 tablespoons of the ACV to 2 cups of warm water(I always put the ACV in a jar that holds 2 cups before getting in and then fill it up), you pour it over your head and let it sit for 30 seconds to 1 minute, and then condition.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Okay, so the stuff I used to use from LUSH isn't carried anymore, but it was basically a tea tree infused shampoo bar. Paul Mitchell makes a tea tree shampoo & conditioner that works fairly well, but most of the LUSH products are vegan. They have something now called Snake Oil Scalp Treatment Bar, and a shampoo bar called Sink and Float.

And if you think using a solid bar for shampoo is weird, don't, because it really really works. Right now I'm using a cinnamon & clove bar from them, and while it helps a little bit with dandruff, it mostly makes my hair really really clean.

Gah, I knew there was something about apple cider vinegar, but couldn't remember what it was. Good deal, guineapigluver1!

(But if there is an epidemic of lice where you're at, rinsing your hair with regular vinegar will deter the lice from sticking on your head...)

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, your scalp may just be dry and need conditioner. So try massaging conditioner on your scalp.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
A nurse once told me a long time ago (back when I was in elementary school and they were doing lice checks) to use Apple cider vinegar. It appearently helps against dandruff and lice don't like it anyways (just in case you do ever get it lol). I guess you just rinse your head in the stuff a few times.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
A nurse once told me a long time ago (back when I was in elementary school and they were doing lice checks) to use Apple cider vinegar. It appearently helps against dandruff and lice don't like it anyways (just in case you do ever get it lol). I guess you just rinse your head in the stuff a few times.

Yep, I actually just fill up a bucket with diluted vinegar and hang out upside down/bent over the tub with my head in the bucket, reach in and make sure it's getting through my thick hair, for about 5-10 minutes. That's how badly I don't want lice when they're going around.

khptown

Cavy Slave
I have psoriasis on my scalp. Have you ruled that out, or a form of dermatitis, or eczema. Do any of those conditions run in your family? If it continues maybe you should see a dermatologist.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
I might think that your itchiness has something to do with the water, it happened to me very often. You might also have dandruff (but no flakes). There are mainly (but not only) two types of dandruff, dry and oily. And depending on the skin, they are treated differently. Dandruff doesn't necessary mean dry skin, and it has nothing to do with your hair type, but you scalp skin.
Because I had many problems with my skin (including my scalp), I have tried some products along. What you can find in commerce does not work (no Head & Shoulders, no Nizoral from USA, Neutrogena and so on). Some might even do more damage because they are too rough.
You need dermato-cosmetics (usually these products are found in Europe in drug-stores only, where they sell only medicine and stuff, not everything as in the US). They are made by dermatologist for people with more special needs, not a large target (though they should be, because they are usually better, but the price is an impediment).

I highly recommend you some products called Ducray (I saw in the States they can be found online, they are french products). They have good hair products for different types of dandruff, and they have some for itchy scalp and balancing (sometimes you need to use 2 products, first shampooing with the itchy one, rinse, then with the balancing one for the second shampooing, rinse). Use a conditioner this time I would recommend, Klorane line (but just their conditioner, not shampoo), but never on you scalp, just the hair length, otherwise you will make dandruff or get itchy/irritated. I think those are the ones you need. I am speaking from my own experience and from my friends that have used it with success. You just need to do the treatment that suits you best for like 6 weeks or so, then always use the balancing shampoo or something to maintain. You need patience to let the treatment do the work. There is no miracle 2 day cure. Anything can undo the balance a little: food, a little stress, environment, weather, and so on.
Ducray Kertyol - is for oily dandruff (so oily scalp, sebaceous hyperactivity, dandruff doesn't necessary mean dry!)
Ducray Selegel- for dry dandruff (the scalp has dry flakes)
Ducray Kelual- irritated itchy scalp, irritating dandruff, red scalp
Ducray Elution- highly recommended in parallel with one of the other shampoos (after 6 weeks of treatment it will be the only one you'll use).
I would recommend you the last too if you can find them/order them, and give it a try.

Home-made solutions would be rinsing with water mixed with mint tea (to calm), camomile tea (soothe and hydrate), vinegar (disinfect, make stronger, shine). To "feed" your hair, you can make a mask with honey (nourish) and beaten egg whites. These cures I know from my granny, she used them with success, and our ancestors too.

Hope you find something to solve your problem, this was my opinion, knowledge and advice.

Last edited:

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I'm most definetly going to try those! Thanks Bubucandyblue! I have weird dandruff. It flakes and gets pretty oily. I've tried everything too that I could find in stores. My mom says when I was a baby I had Cradle Cap too so it's definetly not something new, and still just as annoying 21 years later lol. Dandruff also runs on my dad's side of the family (thanks dad lol) My grandfather has it, my dad, and my uncles. I just so happen to be the first born adn the only grandchild, lucky me! Good thing though, my son show no signs whatsoever of it! He never had cradle cap, and his scalp looks good. He does get dry skin on his body so after bathtime each night I slather him in lotion! I also make sure he isn't bathed every night (just every second) becuase it doesn't help skin matters.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Wow, thank you everyone so much for your suggestions, especially BubuCandyBlue. I didn't really know any of that stuff, I'll have to remember it all or print it out or something.
I actually took a shower right after I posted that. I used what I had, which was ProActiv brand anti-dandruff shampoo, and then after I rinsed that out I used Wen by Chaz Dean Tea Tree Cleansing Conditioner. Thankfully, that area on my scalp does not itch anymore! I guess it was just a freak event or something. I'm thinking that my scalp is the oily kind, because my face is oily, and my hormones are now making my hair get "dirtier" faster with oil.

Thank you again so much everyone! I really appreciate your help. Next time, I'm definately going to use some of the things I learned from this thread.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Dandruff also runs on my dad's side of the family (thanks dad lol)[...] I also make sure he isn't bathed every night (just every second) becuase it doesn't help skin matters.
Dandruff, as acne, is something for life. You can treat it, and then you have to prevent it. If you don't keep the balance, it comes back.
As for your kid, no problem in bathing every day (although I know my skin itches too after every shower). but put let's say Johnsons baby oil after, when the skin is wet (it is good for you too). It helps a lot.

Wow, thank you everyone so much for your suggestions, especially BubuCandyBlue. I didn't really know any of that stuff, I'll have to remember it all or print it out or something.
Let's just say I have a long story with dermatologists and treatments. My pleasure to share my experience. Anything else, just PM me or post it here. We do love our piggies and want as much info about them, but we also know other things too, that might help in this case.
I guess it was just a freak event or something. I'm thinking that my scalp is the oily kind, because my face is oily, and my hormones are now making my hair get "dirtier" faster with oil.
Be careful on that part. If you have oily skin, it has nothing to do with your scalp. You might have a different kind of skin on your scalp without knowing. Same goes for your hair - if you have oily roots, it doesn't mean all your hair is oily, you might have dry ends that need a different treatment. You have to make sure you don't over wash it to get the protective layer down (it gets even more oilier then), not more then 2-3x/week, don't brush the roots scratching the scalp, don't put you hands all the time in it, and so on. Oh, and stop wearing dark cloth till it gets better.
I can give you an example. I have oily roots, but very dry ends. I also gets irritated fast and easy (ran also some tests, my skin turned out to be 5x more sensitive then to a normal person). That is very hard to treat - oily roots (that need a "harsh" treatment), but sensitive (where you can not dry it cause it reacts badly, like it was dry). Same goes for the face issue, where many people have mixed skin. The body is the same, usually the back is more active in sebaceous glands, so it can get oily, and the extremities (legs, hands) might be very dry.
And all these, as I said, can be changed by the tiniest thing: a change of diet, a drier wind outside, more pollution, stress, the way you wash (maybe you didn't rinse correctly), what you wear, inside factors, and the list can go on. Yes, I know, it get's boring.

Hope you find a "treatment" to fix the problem (whatever works for each one of you, because we are all different), and afterward figure out a way to maintain the comfort.

Last edited:

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
I have super itchy dry skin all over, especially in winter, including on my scalp. No dandruff, really, just itchies! The only thing that helps my scalp is lots of conditioner. I use all natural, vegan products, but I've never gone no-'poo. I tried using a baking soda no-'poo once and it dried my scalp up even more. Now I'm itchy just thinking about it!

Fewer showers helps, and taking cool showers instead of hot, and moisturizing right afterwards (and good conditioner for the head; although sometimes I'm tempted to just shave my hair off again and moisturize my scalp too!).

gooberific

Cavy Slave
For vegan products, I really have never had a problem with LUSH. Typically, the people who are working in the store are also people who are assisting with making the products, as well, and are extremely knowledgeable about what each product. This was at least the case in St. Louis when I lived there. I think right now, their US online store carries more than 36 vegan products. LUSH Fresh Handmade Soaps and Natural Cosmetics

Our friends in Kansas City, KS, would have samples shipped to them, and then when they found something they really liked or didn't like but someone else might like, they shipped them to me. I have the most delicious-smelling chocolate lotion. It works very well. The only odd thing about it, is that it's a solid, so you let it melt while you work it into your skin. Can you guess what a solid lump of chocolate lotion looks like? I'm guessing that's why I never saw it in-store. ;)

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
ave the most delicious-smelling chocolate lotion. It works very well. The only odd thing about it, is that it's a solid, so you let it melt while you work it into your skin. Can you guess what a solid lump of chocolate lotion looks like? I'm guessing that's why I never saw it in-store. ;)
Yes I know how it looks like. And they smell great. Just one of them (don't remember which one) caused me a bad allergy reaction. I am still willing to try them again though.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Good deal. I also would recommend not using the Honey I Soaped the Kid's Soap or something like that, if you have a problem with flies in your area. Personal experience. Never again.

AnimalFarm2006

Cavy Slave
oh, and this is off topic but the apple cider vin is good to repel fleas and such from your animals. mix like a cap full into your dogs water, or less depending on the bowl and it helps. I also sprits my ferrets down with the stuff to keep the bugs away.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Haha, What isn't vinegar good for? It's like the ultimate everything!

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
I didn't thoroughly read through everything, but I used to have a problems with my scalp being really itchy and warm olive oil massaged into my hair and scalp really helped a lot.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I didn't thoroughly read through everything, but I used to have a problems with my scalp being really itchy and warm olive oil massaged into my hair and scalp really helped a lot.

Suprisingly, that sounds really pleasant. :goodvibes

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.