Thread: I know this sounds funny, but do guinea pigs see color?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question I know this sounds funny, but do guinea pigs see color?

I was just wondering if guinea pigs are color blind? I know its a weird question. But do they? :S I know they follow their nose, but can they see the green for the veggies? Also, is there any "good" way to play with your gps? Like for example cats have a ball that you can throw at them, so do dogs (catch). But what can you do to entertain your gps? Just more random questons .
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: I know this sounds funny, but do guinea pigs see color?

I think I read that they do see in colour.

I bought 2 little plastic cat balls with bells in them for my pigs today. Stephen kept nosing one to make it ring, then popcorning round the cage, up to top deck, back to ball and repeat. So maybe try a jingly ball? Alan isn't interested though so it clearly varies as to whether pigs find them fun.

edit: I found where I'd read they see in colour http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claire View Post
    I think I read that they do see in colour.

I bought 2 little plastic cat balls with bells in them for my pigs today. Stephen kept nosing one to make it ring, then popcorning round the cage, up to top deck, back to ball and repeat. So maybe try a jingly ball? Alan isn't interested though so it clearly varies as to whether pigs find them fun.

edit: I found where I'd read they see in colour http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Thank you for the site, I suppose I had missed that when I had done some research along time ago. And as for the cat balls we had some, but they never bothered to play with them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My pigs are easily amused with games of follow me and tag which they do not need anything but a pig buddy to play it with! They also like paper lunch bags stuffed with veggies or hay and toilet and paper towel rolls.

Two types of cones are found in the guinea pig retina, one for seeing and comprehending the color red and another for green. All other colors are still being studied to determine whether guinea pigs can see them or not.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Goddess View Post
    My pigs are easily amused with games of follow me and tag which they do not need anything but a pig buddy to play it with! They also like paper lunch bags stuffed with veggies or hay and toilet and paper towel rolls.

Two types of cones are found in the guinea pig retina, one for seeing and comprehending the color red and another for green. All other colors are still being studied to determine whether guinea pigs can see them or not.
    Thank you for the color detail. And I've also tried the toilet paper :| but maybe they were just too young at the time, Ill try it again.

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I stuff toilet roll tubes with hay for them when I go to bed. Like really pack it in. They have to work hard to get strands of the hay out and it usually involves tossing the tubes around the place. It's caused popcorning occasionally so it must be fun.

7. "Thank you, claire, for this useful post," says:

Trace_n_Ripley (04-04-09)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cardboard boxes, paper bags, scrumpled up paper are all very popular with my cavies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I stuff toilet roll tubes with hay for them when I go to bed. Like really pack it in. They have to work hard to get strands of the hay out and it usually involves tossing the tubes around the place. It's caused popcorning occasionally so it must be fun.
    That is a great idea -- I'll definitely have to try it! -- Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I never thought to ask if guinea pigs see in color because I know that they don't see well. So you learn something new every day.

I do know that my Gizmo seems to like the bright yellow and pink cat balls with bells in them the best. He will pick them up and shake his head up and down to ring the bells. It is Hilarious!!! But he doesn't seem to play with the dark purple ones as much. So I figured that he could at least tell light and dark.

And I also love the idea of stuffing hay into toilet paper rolls. That would keep them busy and give a little excercise too! I know they love to chew on them and toss them around a lot.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! I tried this and that poor TP tube only lasted three days. I stuffed the increasingly chewed up tube every night and after three days that tube was toast! They absolutely loved it! Thanks!!

12. "Thank you, Trace_n_Ripley, for this useful post," says:

snistopher (04-04-09)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guinea Pig Toys and Play

This has a list of toys for your guinea pig.

I got a Bird mirror with a bell on it for birds at the pet store. My guinea pig used to stare into it and then nudge it to ring the bell and then she would popcorn all around her cage. Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trace_n_Ripley View Post
    Wow! I tried this and that poor TP tube only lasted three days. I stuffed the increasingly chewed up tube every night and after three days that tube was toast! They absolutely loved it! Thanks!!

I stuffed the hay in the rolls. My babies loved it!!! And Gizmo loves to pick up his little cat balls with the bells in them and shake his head up and down and ring the bell. Then he popcorns! It is hilarious! I was thinking about getting them each a small stuffed animal to sleep with too. I love the idea about a bird mirror, but does anyone else have any other toy ideas? I would like to change toys out so they don't get bored.
    Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    38 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Flash loved the pink pigloo. He knew out of all of them which the pink one is and would throw out any pig dare enter. The girls are not as funny about color.

User Tag List