Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Legos?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
This might be the silliest question ever!

I have a small child that plays with those mega block Legos (you know - the bigger Legos). I had the piggles on floor time and my kid gave the pig a Lego to play with (you know how kids are - always trying to help and participate). I didn't see any harm in it...I mean, these things are okay for kids, right? And the block is a good 2" x 1", so it can't be swallowed.

But I got to thinking - that might be fun for a pig to push around. Do you think legos are harmful? How sharp are a pigs teeth? I haven't tried to find out yet, but could they actually take a big bite of the giant Lego and get sick? These mega Legos seem to be made of some sort of indestructable plastic and I'm sure they are non-toxic since they are made for toddlers and toddlers chew on things while getting those stubborn back teeth in.

What do you think? I'd hate to hurt my pig. :(

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the answer, but with six brothers, four who are younger than me, we have a major overload of Lego's, so if its safe it would definitely be cool to put in their cage. I could make them a Lego hidey!!!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the answer, but with six brothers, four who are younger than me, we have a major overload of Lego's, so if its safe it would definitely be cool to put in their cage. I could make them a Lego hidey!!!

That's what I want to do. I know people have made hideys out of waffle blocks so I don't see why not.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I doubt a cavy would even play with it...and some have sharp edges.

Squeeking Piggy

Cavy Slave
That is quite debatable. The pieces could be toxic. But they have appealing colors, so a guinea pig might want to play with them. I really don't know.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Yeah - my little guy (Alton) loves to butt things with his head and push them around. I did read that they see colors, so I thought...hmmm...that might be fun!

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Check out these Lego hidey houses!

That looks fun!

I found these at (broken link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Very cute. I'd rather make one out of the small legos though so that they don't have the big knobs on the top. I don't like the aesthetics.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
On the Guinea Lynx forum, the owner of those images got annoyed that I had used them without their permission...so I am hoping I can find a way to remove them from the post here. I didn't mean to infringe on anyone's rights and I apologize, but I erroneously thought it wasn't a problem since I provided a source link. I guess I spend too much time with my pets and not enough time getting acquainted with internet copyright laws!

I would check the Lego hideys out on their site though! Very cool and creative.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The photos have been removed. I did leave the link.

It's best to never take photos from websites without the owners permission. Even here no one is allowed to take any photos or anything from this site without permission.

I don't see why the large lego's couldn't be used for floortime play. They are non-toxic.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice on posting. I feel like a total idiot now. :sad:

s_anthony

Cavy Slave
If your kid plays with them and they aren't made in china (ok bad joke I know) then they should be safe for your piggies.

I would stay away from the smaller harder plastic ones since those can chip and cause sharper breaks, but the softer plastic ones probably are a better option.

Man, I wish I didn't just give our 4 bags of oversized legos to our daycare... maybe I can get a few back :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.