Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Any known problems with garlic with guinea pigs?

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
I know it is not usually suggested as a normal food for guinea pigs, but are there any known issues with garlic for guinea pigs? With its known antiparasitic powers (for both internal and external parasites) it seems like it could be useful. I know a lot of fishkeepers who report a massive drop in health issues in general when they feed their fish a diet that includes garlic. It has also been shown to be effective in dogs, cats, and even humans. So is there a known problem with feeding garlic to guinea pigs or just not something usually suggested?

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
In addition to showing possible health benefits in animals like dogs, other studies have shown it to be mildly toxic, particularly in raw form. So tread carefully. I would not let my dog, parrot or other animals eat raw garlic or onion. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me, since my animals are healthy and parasite-free anyway. If they had parasites, I would turn to proven medicine, such as ivermectin for mites in guinea pigs, not unproven treatments.

Garlic juice can definitely help induce an anorexic fish to eat, or help encourage them to eat a new type of food, but beyond that I do not feed it to my fish regularly.

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
Some newer studies have shown that garlic actually actively kills parasites, that it is not just an appetite booster. The benefit is that it is not a harsh chemical medication. And anything will remain untried and unproven if no one ever tries it. I know it is not generally recommended, I just want to know if this is because it is known to be toxic to guinea pigs, or just not necessary and unproven.

In fish it has been shown MANY times that in many different types of parasites garlic added to the diet is the only treatment needed, without the risks of chemical medications.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
If you go to the thread where Ly made a feeding/veggie chart, someone asked on the thread if garlic was ok, and Ly said absolutley not. It's like several pages down so I'm trying to spare you some reading lol. I can't remember why she said no but I remember it wasn't good. Hope that helps!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I have heard the same on garlic. It should not be fed, period. If it because you have a parasite problem, get Ivermectin, etc...

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
Right, I have heard it too. I am trying to figure out if there is an actual known threat to back it up or just a 'let's be careful, better safe than sorry since we know it is toxic to some animals'.

I would rather go with natural treatments and preventative measures when possible than go with chemicals once the problem is already present.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I would rather go with natural treatments and preventative measures when possible than go with chemicals once the problem is already present.

Translation; I'd rather put my guinea pigs life at risk to prevent something that might never or happen than wait until it might happen and give them a safe effective treatment.

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
Please don't translate for me.

It means I want to go with a safer, more natural option IF it is available.

So far no one has been able to ever give me any real information about issues with guinea pigs and garlic. Some places say garlic is not toxic to guinea pigs except for the general 'too much of anything is a bad thing'. The places that do say it is not safe haven't said anything more (they have not supprted that statement in any way, they just say it). That is what I am asking for, any information about garlic being toxic to guinea pigs. Any cases of toxicty? Any vets had any cases at all? Anything?

Trust me, if they need anything they will get. But if there is a nice natural and safe option that can help prevent them from getting in that condition in the first place prevention is better than a cure.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Ly actually has an answer on hr thread she made on her diet chart. It's quite a ways into the charts so you'll have a fair bit of reading if you go. I don't remember the reason of hand as to why because it was a few days ago when I read it. So, if you want to venture in, your answer lies there! I understand your wanting to try to use natural ways to make them better, now a days with so many fake chemicals and things people are using, but with Guinea pigs, they get ill very quickly so they need proper meds fast. I hope this was a more informative and kinder way to explain it to you then your 'translation" you got!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I hope this was a more informative and kinder way to explain it to you then your 'translation" you got!

Hehe.:mischievo I think it was.

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
All she said was no, absolutely not. No reason or support. I just want to figure out if there is actual fact to support this that no one who says not to is sharing or if other people are right when they say guinea pigs do not have a problem with garlic.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Oh animal house, your funny, and I know your heart is in a good place, like everyone says, we're here for the piggies, and that's the way it should be! lol

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Sorry then by the way, I think you may have to ask Ly herself, she spends a lot of time studying things like that. I for one love garlic for myself, as does my 2 year old son as well! It would be nice to share the goodness with the piggies!

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Yeah I bet if you Private Message her your question she'll reply. She's really the dietary expert here, and otherwise she could miss your post.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Oh and please post her reply here. I'm quite interseted.

And what I was getting at with the translation is if you don't know how safe it would be, then you shouldn't use it and you should stick to a proven method such as ivermectin...or benadryl and such.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Exactly, go with what works and safest (and quicker), piggies are fragile little buggers! :)

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
I did PM her, no reply yet.

It would be mainly as a preventative and to help with possible internal parasites (which can be present and undetected for years until the animal is stressed and then the parasites go nuts).

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Ya, the mods can be a little busy, I think it was Salana who says she comes home from work somedays and has hundreds of emails to answer and she answers whatevers asked from her. But eventually you'll get an answer, you'll just have to wait a bit! :)

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Garlic and onions, and everything else in that family, have killed dogs and cats, and made others ill. I know that horses can eat onions with no problem, because one of my friends has horses, and if she finds wild-growing onions, sometimes she feeds them to her horses, and she is extremely knowledgeable about horses, and she said that onions do not affect horses.

However, guinea pigs are a completely different story.

Get this: 1 cup of raw garlic contains 246mg calcium and 208 mg phosphorous ((broken link removed)). That is a ratio of 123:13. My math might be wrong, so someone with a real calculator and not the computer's version of one (hehe), please check it. But, I would never feed that kind of ratio of Ca:p to a guinea pig, thats like asking for problems with their urinary system on purpose.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Thanks sophisitcavy! I knew it was bad for them and now we all know why!

I never knew horses eat onions?! I guess you learn something new everyday lol!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.