Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Any known problems with garlic with guinea pigs?

Grisli

Cavy Slave
All she said was no, absolutely not. No reason or support. I just want to figure out if there is actual fact to support this that no one who says not to is sharing or if other people are right when they say guinea pigs do not have a problem with garlic.

I absolutely understand you. I want statements about something to be backed up with facts. Also if people would always just stick with things that are tried and tested then we would never have any advancement at all.

I'm not saying that giving garlic to a guinea pig is a good idea, I don't have a clue.

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
What should the ratio be?

And doesn't that completely ignore the rest of their diet, which could easily compensate for that particular imbalance? If the diet as a whole is balanced, does it really matter that one or even all the foods in it are unbalanced?

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Guys thats a ratio of 1.1826 to 1 Calcium to Phosphorus, from Microsoft excel. Thats (246mg/208 mg) : (208mg/208mg)

So that ratio doesn't sound quite as bad. On Ly's chart that puts it right in the same range as Green leaf and Romaine Lettuce. Now I'd worry about other stuff, as its a bulb or a seed not leaf, and might be high in other things like to fatty for piggies. I'd still ask Ly.

Fishguy: Ly recommends a range of about 1.5:1 to 2:1 Ca:ph ratio. Its in the last sticky on the top of the diet nutrition section of the forum.

Last edited:

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I'm not so sure a pig would eat raw garlic.
It's pretty pungent and if you've ever forgotten to wash your hands after handling garlic, it's spicy as well! :cheeky:

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Ly said they werent supposed to have any anyways, not good for them.:)

Fishguy2727

Cavy Slave
And I am trying to figure out why. So far no actual facts as to any known problem with garlic for guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.